Attention Montreal heads or others w/ Montreal 411

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I am moving to Montreal for the summer...Where are the cool 'hoods I should try to stay in? I am looking on-line at sublets and the neighborhoods are like Snowdon Peel Verdun Guy-Concordia McGill D Iberville Saint-Michel Longueuil??? I will admit without shame that I am not knowing about Montreal geography. Any suggestions???

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST GUY ON EARTH.

(so jealous right now)

Peep the hotties on St. Catherine late at night, WHOA.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I am moving to Montreal for the summer...Where are the cool 'hoods I should try to stay in? I am looking on-line at sublets and the neighborhoods are like Snowdon Peel Verdun Guy-Concordia McGill D Iberville Saint-Michel Longueuil??? I will admit without shame that I am not knowing about Montreal geography. Any suggestions???

Snowdon - no.
    Peel - ok, but a bit too downtown for me
    Verdun - no.
    Guy - Concordia - see 'Peel'
    McGill - ok.
    D'Iberville - ?
    St. Michel - ?
    Longueil - definitely not.

I think of Montreal as kind of a backwards L shape. On the bottom you have St. Catherine's which is like a major shopping street with your Gaps and what-not. Concordia university is around here, and there are some places to stay, but not that many places to hang out. On the vertical line of our imaginary backwards L you have St. Denis and St. Laurent, which have a plethora of eating an drinking establishments around them. St. Laurent is considered the language divinding line (very roughly) - east of here is French, west is English. From about Roy on up is generally known as 'the Plateau' and you'll find lots of anglo hipsters hanging out. As you head North up St Laurent things get more neighbourhoody - you get all the 24h bagel places around Fairmont & St. Viateur, and then a whole new little area around Laurier. Intersecting St. Laurent and St. Denis is Mont Royal, which, as you head east of st. Denis, gets quite nice. Don't be afraid of the French sections of town (as many anglo montreal residents are) - there's lots of good stuff to do.

However, this is a kind-of generalization, since Montreal in the summer is really nice, and fairly easy to get around. I stayed in a sublet on Ontario st. east of St. Denis just north of the Gay Village that, although wasn't the nicest area (prostitutes, etc) still had a great local market, and some cool local bars.

Where are you working / do you have to be able to get anywhere? You might want to be on a subway line.

If you are looking at sublets, which will mostly be by university students, personally I would avoid the NDG neighbourhood, which has a Concordia campus. It's kinda far from everything else. You would probably be in a good spot if you were, say, in the square between St. Laurent and St. Denis, and Roy and St. Joseph. Close to the subway and lots of other stuff, too.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Will you have a car?

I'm only 75 miles south in Vermont. Heller.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Yo great info. Thanks for this. Keep it coming if other headz know the deal. I will not have a car and am working at 1155 Ren??-L??vesque Blvd. West, Montr??al, Quebec H3B 3V2. Where ever that be....

• NateBizzo...
    you arent lazer tag nate?
    Shit man, thats close, I been meaning to get down to vermont and chack some shops.

6.dos

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'll be up there in a couple weeks. I'm playing some hip hop spot on Sat the 7th. I'll have more details later. Monteal dudes holler.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Hi,

If you're looking for a place to stay, I can hook you up with an affordable sublet. I'm assistant director of ------ University residences. Holla @ me on PM.

Peace

h

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    NateBizzo...
    you arent lazer tag nate?
    Shit man, thats close, I been meaning to get down to vermont and chack some shops.

6.dos

R*B! Is that you? Holler atta sister, damn!

I am def going to hafta visit the brother Rootless this summer and a Montreal meet-up shall be in order.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I want in motherbatches! I crave camraderie on the record nerdery tip!

• CueCue 26 Posts
    These Montreal posts kill me. I almost went to Concordia.
    Nobody raves about Columbus like this.

• Too bad, you woulda gotten to experience the joy that is Concordia political vitriole...

But seriously, Montreal has great records, better women, and every sunday, thousands of smelly hippies converge in the park to bark at the sun... (they call it tam tams)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    But seriously, Montreal has great records, better women, and every sunday, thousands of smelly hippies converge in the park to bark at the sun... (they call it tam tams)

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I heart MTL. See y'all soon.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I heart MTL. See y'all soon.

they call it tam tams because a big group of drummers play tam tams while dancing hippies show their tam tams.

• Options
    ...whilst everyone is smoking tam tams of one sort or another.

K.

• Westmount

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Westmount

What that mean??? Is Westmount the spot or what?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Westmount

it's a posh area

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Westmount

it's a posh area

But overall in comparison, for even a posh slice of real estate, Montreal is dirt cheap compared to anywhere in the US.

• Co-sign with Nate. But still considered very by francophones in PQ

Now, for rootlesscosmo, theses are the french the words you need to learn:

crisse

tabarnak

calisse

sacramant

osti

ciboire

You can use them at the end of each sentence (like "Thanks", "You're Welcome", "No problem", etc).

And the movies you have to rent to deal with the "culture-shock":

Have a nice day!

Westmount

it's a posh area

But overall in comparison, for even a posh slice of real estate, Montreal is dirt cheap compared to anywhere in the US.