Post your favorite ELECTRONICA/DAWNCE subgenre

2»

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

August 1991
    I think this was before there were subgenres.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    "Dance" artists I like:

Daft Punk
    Basement Jaxx
    Cassius
    Next Evidence
    Bob Sinclar

(yeh, I know...these are so 1999-2001)

SG

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Squarepusher is the only shit I can listen to in the "electronic/baggy pant/pacifier" subgenre...doubled up "amen brother" drums give me migraines...and digital synths give me hemmoroids

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    ma favourites: folktronica featuring weird beard type of guys & brisco, funky breakbeats meets disco - it was kinda popular between january '99 and april '99, the followup was fistfunk, more progbreaks orientated.

reely good stuff: Gilles Peterson meets Theo Parrish
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?radio1/gilles

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Squarepusher is the only shit I can listen to in the "electronic/baggy pant/pacifier" subgenre...doubled up "amen brother" drums give me migraines...and digital synths give me hemmoroids

sheeeit, you know you break out the glowsticks and slip into the size 62 Jincos when you bump Bjork.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

sheeeit, you know you break out the glowsticks and slip into the size 62 Jincos when you bump Bjork.

Bjork is all about the SONGS dood, the SONGS! for real though, I would buy Bjork rekkids if she sang that shit with banjos and kazoos. I didnt even think about her when I responded to this post...so, ok, Bjork and Squaurepusher are the only steez i like...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

CLICK ON BRUNO

Whoa! Pile-inducing, but fun. Kid Chameleon or someguy... click on Bruno

Strategy - Dunes Dub - Shockout
    Radiohead - Paperbag Writer - Parlophone
    Timeblind - What the...? - Shockout
    Kush Arora - Fucking Simmering Bastard (Burnt Blood Mix) -
    Record Label Records Dub
    Eek-a-Mouse - Jamacanese - Ras Jamaica
    Aaron Spectre - I Hear Voices - Moonbunny Dub
    David Last - Posca Kid - The Agriculture
    Echotwist - Frankie?s Next Move - Dhamaal SF
    The Nextment feat. Cutty Ranks - Silent Weapon - Scenario
    The Orb - Assassin (Live) - Island
    Stereotyp meets. Al?Haca - Me Nuh Joke - Klein
    Dizzee Rascal - Everywhere - XL Recordings
    Pole - Raum 1 Variation (Kit Clatyon Mix) - ~scape
    Unknown - Wicked Turntable Games - White
    La Funk Mob - Motor Bass Get Funked Up (Electrofunk Mix) - Mo Wax
    TV on the Radio - Mr. Grieves - Touch and Go
    Transient Waves - Always Ascending - Darla
    Massive Attack - Teardrop (Mad Professor Mazaruni Vocal Remix) - Wild Bunch
    Horace Andy - Do You Love My Music (Black Star Liner Extended Remix) -
    Select Cuts
    Transdub Massiv feat. Ce'cile - Hill and Gully - Nocturne
    Rockers Hi-Fi - Mic Check - Groove Attack
    Nasty Habits - Prototyped - 31 Records
    The Police - Shadows in the Rain - A & M Records
    Digital - Lower Depths - Photek Productions
    Loefah - Jungle Infiltrator - Big Apple Records
    The Art of Noise - Moments in Love - Island
    Deep Alpha - All Think (Kode 9?s Alphadub) - Voltage
    Sly and Robbie Meet Bunny Lee - Legalize the Dub - Jamaican
    DJ Distance - Dark Crystal - Boka
    Radiohead - You and Whose Army - Parlophone
    High Plains Drifter feat. Goldspot Productions - Sholay (Epic Mix) - Tempa
    Deadbeat - Fixed Elections - ~scape
    Easy Star All-Stars - Time Version - Easy Star
    Twilight Circus Dub Sound System - Unknown - M Records
    Toasty - Like Sun - Hot Flush
    Dub Trio - Drive By Dub - RIOR
    Operator and OD5150 feat. HR - Selassie Lives - D?lux Drops
    Total Chaos feat. Thai Stylee - Das Mic - Intonation
    Fracture and Neptune - Worm Science - Inperspective
    DJ Flack - Honeymoon Breeze - Beat Research
    Version - Spice - Bassbin
    Amit - Lost Voices - Comercial Suicide
    XTC - Runaways - Virgin
    Thomas Fehlmann - Alice Springs - Plug Research
    DJ C - Crazy Baldheads - Mashit Dub

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

this is a very good 12" by alroy road tracks (squarepusher under alias) - check it out if you ever see it:

and this is even better on 33 than it is on 45!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i love that song
    i love all the melodic stuff squarepusher does and mostly everything up until go plastic! but the last two albums were kinda bleh although they definitely had their shining moments.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    in all seriousness could we get a breakdown of the most common dance sub genres adnwhat distinguishes them?

SHIT!

My man, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music[/b]. No fucking joke. Click here:
    http://www.ishkur.com/music/#

Flash intensive crazy stupid breakdown with soundclips.

Go to HARDCORE[/b] >>> subgenenre NOIZECORE[/b] and click the soundfile for "All The Children Are Dead" and be prepared to soften your stool...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

this is a very good 12" by alroy road tracks (squarepusher under alias) - check it out if you ever see it:

thanks for reminding me. i sold that and my 'conumber' when i heard they were both being compiled onto burnin'n tree or whatever it was called. then i never picked that up. now i'd really like to get those 12"s back. anyone holding extras?

the rest of the A HREF="http://www.spymania.com/" target="new">spymania/A> 12" catalog around that time (spymania allstars, wafta) is also really good in a similar vein and still can be picked up for pretty cheap if you keep your eyes peeled.

but if you really want to talk raerpusher:

this one's rarely mentioned and is actually pretty good and points in the direction of his laterspymania shit, not like that crappy tumble rumble acid record that's around

and this is even better on 33 than it is on 45!

easily the best song of his career, imho.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

i like fusion era squarepusher about as much as i like the fusion era miles davis records he was aping. i got the "my sound" 10" recently and i'd say that's an exception to the rule.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    by the way the new jamie lidell is a pretty awesome electro soul record. i wasn't feeling him after the first super collider, but this shit is raw (no digits).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I was more referring to Iambic 5 Poetry, but the rest of the EP stands on its own even though Iambic outshines it completely. My Sound is that shit too.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i can't remember that particular track and i can't find the album right now so i'll have to take your word for it.

by the way, second favorite squarepusher record:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YYRE4CDOETLR2OOKCW4H4J7MJ for Iambic 5 Poetry
    Big Loada is my shit too although I think I like Hard Normal Daddy more just for Beep Street.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Give me anything with a bit of Winstones Amen Brother breaks or Dave Cortez & The Moon People and I'll say it ROCKS THE MOST !!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    by the way the new jamie lidell is a pretty awesome electro soul record. i wasn't feeling him after the first super collider, but this shit is raw (no digits).

I saw him perform live in the Fall and it was fucking bonkers. He was basically building songs right then and there and every one of them was just amazing. Raw is right. Clean and heavy beats and blips coupled with this hippy-looking white kid singing his skinny ass off.