Cell phone recommendations (NRR)

nrichnrich 932 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Apologies for the non-record related post, but I've been trying to get some true info on this topic and it's quite difficult. I'll keep this brief.I'm in the market for a new cell phone with a camera, not concerned with fantastic quality, just one that can hold maybe 50 photos or so. Looking at Nokia (my current phone), so any first hand experiences, suggestions would be great. Looking at the $150 mark.Don't have a flip phone currently, don't know if they are good or badhere's what I've found:Nokia 6101Nokia 6102Nokia 6020pros/cons?suggestions?thanksBonus: Here's a killer Psych recordimg src="http://www.popsike.com/pics/frozenriver/20040508/4011892713.jpg"

Comments

• Don't spend too much extra money just to get a phone camera. The novelty wears off pretty quick and then you start fiending for better quality. I don't think I've taken a picture with my camera phone in months but I did recently spring for a digital camera.

If you do want a camera phone make sure they include a way to download it to your PC. The software I had to use with my Samsung phone was jenky and the port it was working on would constantly fail for no reason. I needed a driver, some com/port software and then the actual program to download the pictures. All that and it almost never worked.

I've never had a problem with my flip phones. I miss my Ericsson T28W. That phone is archaic now but it sure looked fly. It was rated the cellphone with the highest level of radiation.

• get a nokia 6310i at ebay. no camera shit no color display. just a phone.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I have a great digital camera for 'real' picures, I understand the cell phone camera would not be a replacement, but I definately need a camera in my phone for 'recon' purposes, so it is a feature that is imperitive.

Anyone have those Nokia phones and can comment on them?
    How many photos can they hold? what's the difference between 6101 & 6102?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Getting a phone with Bluetooth is a definite bonus. So easy to transfer files.
    I'm looking to get either of these two:

New Motorola Razr Slvr, out in a few weeks:

or this is good too:

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Getting a phone with Bluetooth is a definite bonus. So easy to transfer files.
    I'm looking to get either of these two:

New Motorola Razr Slvr, out in a few weeks:

or this is good too:

Are those within the $150 price point?

I doubt the new Motorola will be anywhere near the $150 price point.
    But the SE can be had for around that price with rebates. It has an amazing camera and uses those little memory sticks... can play mp3s too.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    what's the model number of that Sony Erricson?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I just bought a new cel. It ain't cheap (So, I dun think you care), but it's the greatest thing I've ever bought.

Shit is crazy bananas.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    thanks, looks dope, but...

$150
    camera phone
    approx 50 photos
    Nokia
    first hand experiences/recommendations

let's put this thread to bed

• wait, can someone explain this bluetooth ish to me?

don't laugh, but this is my phone now:

people make fun of me often. it weighs a lot and i can barely wrap my paln around it.

but my contract expires soon and i get to get a new phone so i was wondering if bluetooth is really essential?

Bluetooth is a wireless technology that allows phones, computers, ear-pieces, in-car speakerphones etc to communicate with each other. With regards to cellphones, it's good for a couple of things:

Transferring files to/from your phone and a computer (mp3s, pictures etc... even contact information)
    Hands-free headsets - the ones with no wires. A little Star Trek for me, but good for the car.

• ok, i don't think i need that. thanks for the helpful info!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Bluetooth is a wireless technology that allows phones, computers, ear-pieces, in-car speakerphones etc to communicate with each other. With regards to cellphones, it's good for a couple of things:

Transferring files to/from your phone and a computer (mp3s, pictures etc... even contact information)

Hands-free headsets - the ones with no wires. A little Star Trek for me, but good for the car.

Ha, I remember my friend told me in London how people were using it to meet eachother. If you liked a bird, you would say hi using bluetooth. Silly Brits!

I think that lasted up until people started hackin ur phone for contacts,etc through it.

Bluetooth 2.0... That is all.

• Nokia 6230. Had it for well over a year and no complaints. Not too expensive, a crappy camera and a sdd(?) memory card of 512mb.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Nokia 6230. Had it for well over a year and no complaints. Not too expensive, a crappy camera and a sdd(?) memory card of 512mb.

cool, thanks. how many pictures can it hold?

• a LOT: around 700.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    my wife has the Nokia 6101 and really likes it. you can't go wrong with nokia. they are built like tanks and have superior sound quality.

-billb

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    my wife has the Nokia 6101 and really likes it. you can't go wrong with nokia. they are built like tanks and have superior sound quality.

-billb

excellent, thanks. i think that's the one. Do you know how many pictures it can hold in memory at one time?

• i bought this phone for $60 from a guy around town that sells cells out of his apartment. All I did was throw my sim card in it and it was good to go..