Belgian or Dutch hip hop Strutters... Recommend me

idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Can you recommend some solid material from around your way.Looking to get some more Euro stuff from these areas in our mag. Instrumental or vocal. Funk or hip hop.40 WINKS[/b]I've reviewed this for our next issue.

Comments

• that new 40 winks ep is very nice, I like it and have been waiting on this for over a year now. Their cd from 2004 is pretty dope too (More than loops).

What else you should check in Belgium: Jerboa is a producer who works together with lots of musicians. He released an Lp called "music for my instruments" this year. I reviewed it for daMusic.be (http://www.damusic.be/index.php?p=albumrecensie&rev_id=449). It's nice music, influenced by all kind of other music. He also released a split ep with lefto, which is very nice too.

Lefto & Krewcial (BBE) released an lp in the blue note sidetracks series, called out of the blue. It are all reworks of Blue Note tracks and feature DJ grazzhoppa, Oh No & Kazi, etc...

For the moment there's nothing new coming up that I know of, but if you're checking from some older stuff, you should definitely check:

-Krewcial - live guy with glasses Lp (classic Belgian Lp, the first belgian hip hop album on wax. htf these days)
    -Krewcial - devoted 12" (1998)
    -Rhyme cut core - everything
    -De puta madre - everything
    -DHL, grazzhoppa, rayer, etc... are some names to check out for.
    -In 2001 infinit skills (Brussels producers) released an ep, which is very dope. it's highly slept on over here, but it are dope beats (for belgian standards, that is.) and it's still in stores over here.

• Thanks mate..
    Yeah I have Krewcials 1st LP on CD & his one from early this year.

Grazzhoppa is a sick DJ... I remeber him from Blade days.
    Rhyme Cut Core, they were like UK Britcore style If I remember rightly.

Not heard of Jerboa. Nor of Da Puta Madre & teh otehrs. I'll search for the Blue Notes thing as well.
    Good looking out bro.

The 40Winks stuff is worldclass. Nice to see & hear...

• Yeah, 40 winks is top notch, the funny thing is: while it's already available in US and Japan for months, it's only available in Belgium since this week...

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    dutch hiphop stuff I'm digging:

Pete Philly
    Opgezwolle
    The Proov

Funk:
    Lefties soul connection

Only other Dutch funkbands I know are the 40+ semi-disco kind