Broke Budget Cooking

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Many of you are either low-income, compulsive gamblers, students, record collectors who spend rent and food money on records which you can neither eat or live in, or just closet-case Costanza-Shylocks.Either way, I'm sure ya'll have some good, healthy budget recipes. I'll start with 3 of my favorite:Ichibana ala healthy-----------------Boil a broth of vegtables (usually something simple like Broccoli and Carrots) and Ichiban sauce.Make Ichiban using broth.Add egg just before Ichiban is done.This way you get the quickness of ichiban, but the healthyness of eating vegtables and having a pseudo-"broth based" soup.Beansticles---------1 can of regular beans (the kind you take camping, with the pork in it).1 can of liver beans1 can of mushrooms2 veggie dogs (st. ives)Throw them all together and cook on low heat! MMM tastey!Caution: Not to be eaten around special lady friends or man friends.Kraft Supper----------Cook Kraft Dinner noodles the same as always.Instead of milk, use Half a can of Mushroom soup per box of KD.Add fried vegtables (onions, broccoli, mushrooms, or whatever else you please)Use real cheese and the fake stuff.

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    What the fuck are Kraft Dinner noodles????

Cook some god damn spaghetti fool.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Tuna straight out of the can with Tapatio.

Cup of Noodles with tapatio.

Sometimes for a gourmet flair ill add a dash of tequila to my maruchan.

Tinas frozen burritos are the best thing going in the budget eats arena. They cost around 29 cents a peice, i believe, and are pretty delicious ( very delicious if you nail the food/liqour ratio).

Im pretty snobby when it comes to eats though. I pair avacado with everything i put in my mouth (ayo).

My most recent sandwhich, for example.

Toasted ciabatta, split down the middle. Sliced brie goes on first. Followed by several "hallowed out" peperonicnis.... I split the peppers in half and spread them flat on the sandwhich. Next comes the tuna salad w/taragon. On top of that, ripe avacados and assorted lettuce. I coated the top peiece of bread with high quality olive oil and black pepper.

I would have busted out the tomato too, but i often find myself too lazy to go through with that.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    What the fuck are Kraft Dinner noodles????

Cook some god damn spaghetti fool.
    SPAGHETTI IS BOURGEOIS EXCESS!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    egg sandwich with bacon. carton of eggs, pack of bagles, and a thing of bacon is like 10 bucks and you get like 6 meals (i like bagles but i used to do bread and thats cheaper).

can of chilli and rice. make the rice (i have a rice cooker i dont know how to cook it otherwise). mix up the chilli and rice and toast some bread. put chilli on toast and eat. makes 2 meals

tacos. get some ground beef, can of refried beans, cheese, lettuce and tortillas. put ground beef in a pan with some hot sauce and mexican chilli spice (find it in spices isle). cook beef and beans and put it in tortilla with rest of shizznit. makes like 5 meals.

Tuna straight out of the can with Tapatio.

Cup of Noodles with tapatio.
    More info on "tapatio". Anything which added to Tuna tastes delicious is good for broke budget cooking.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    POTATOES. you can get a big bag of potatoes at the store for like 4 bucks. they last a while. make mashed potatoes, fry em up with some garlic spices and butter or whatnot.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yikes, you guys should eat better.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Word life son! Ya'll need a good bowl of pho in your life..

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Man I used to live on taco bell. 10 years ago at least. the 49 cent bean burrito was the killer. You could get stuffed for less than $2. At the time my spare income went towards alcohol not records. So I needed to save when it came to grub.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Word life son! Ya'll need a good bowl of pho in your life..

pho sho.

• I'm a major health nut and really strict about what I eat. Yesterday I bought some chicken breast, mushrooms, salsa, spinach, and cheese. Cost me about $20. Just cook up chicken and then throw in a little of everything. Go easy on the cheese. That's where the calories are. Poor some hot sauce on it when you're done and you have a slamming meal which is healthy. You could use Tofu instead of chicken which is a little healthier.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    One time I ate a hot dog that had been cooked over an open Sterno can. That shit tasted like chemical dick.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    One time I ate a hot dog that had been cooked over an open Sterno can. That shit tasted like chemical dick.

Forget the chemical part, how did you know it tasted like dick?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Middle-school james says: I recognized the taste from swapping gum with your mother.

Current-day james says: Don't risk it, J. Lo.

• One time I ate a hot dog that had been cooked over an open Sterno can. That shit tasted like chemical dick.

toxic avengers ???

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Middle-school james says: I recognized the taste from swapping gum with your mother.

Current-day james says: Don't risk it, J. Lo.

HAAAAAAAA, can't say I wasn't expecting something like that.

That's my problem, I can't stop my middle-school J.Lo

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    My latest and greatest:

Fill a small pot with water, on a high flame. Once it starts to boil, slowly drop an egg white in and let it get all stringy. Beat it around with a fork (ayo) if you have to. Next drop in a full maruchan instant luch. Resist the temptation to remove the vegetables, you fuckin second graders. The water will be boiling less feircly now that you have dropped in the maurchan. Wait for it to begin boiling over harder, then drop in a second, full egg (yolk included). This egg will poach itself in the water. Add tapatio. You must add enough so that the color of the soup darkens considerably.Remove from flame, pour into a bowl.
    Crumble crackers into the soup at this point, if you wish.

This shit looks and tastes like soem homecook ish. You could probabaly fool your girlfriend into thinking you love her with this jernt. Use it wisely.

I love Pho, but it's expensive where I'm at ($6CAN).

• I love Pho, but it's expensive where I'm at ($6CAN).

What is that, like 3.50 USD??? That's expensive??

• any market with even the most basic "asian foods" section shold have some UDON!

+ 5 minutes after water boils

=

should cost you no more than $2 a pack. It's a fresh noodle based soup which means its a lot healthier and tastier than all that ramen/cup o noodles dehydrated garbage. You can also add any veggies or meat/fish to it...I like mine plain with a dash of lemon and basil

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    this is the saddest shit i've ever read.

^--- I'm definitaley going to hit up that UDON style. Thanks!

What is that, like 3.50 USD??? That's expensive??

Considering that Ichiban + carrots and brocoli + 1 egg = probably $1US.

Pho is cheap for restaurant food, no doubt.

this is the saddest shit i've ever read.
    Trying to make cheap and timely meals is no joke and not sad at all. A lot of these things aren't staples for every day eating and just make decent quick lunches. But for the more financially constrained (like, say, you dropped rent on Placebo), it's good advice.

• eggs, chorizo, potatoes, and tortillas can feed you cheap for days...

on the TOSSED SALAD tip... one head of romaine lettuce can make a shitload of salad. tomatoes, onions, vinegar and oil to spice it up... all cheap. if you're feeling like splurging a bit, buy some olives and a block of feta. or an avocado and (cheap) hard boiled egg.

i've done the ramen thing before. i can barely even stand to look at the packages anymore without losing my appetite...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    any market with even the most basic "asian foods" section shold have some UDON!

+ 5 minutes after water boils

=

should cost you no more than $2 a pack. It's a fresh noodle based soup which means its a lot healthier and tastier than all that ramen/cup o noodles dehydrated garbage. You can also add any veggies or meat/fish to it...I like mine plain with a dash of lemon and basil

things to add to noodles to boost nutritious/flavour content:

fresh ginger
    fresh garlic
    spinach
    chard
    (baby) bok choy
    mushrooms
    snap peas
    tofu
    green onions
    cilantro
    eggs
    lemon
    toasted sesame oil
    tamari

(with the garlic, ginger and greens - don't boil them with the water, pour the soup over them in the bowl at the very end. boiling kills most of their nutritious value)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'd say you have a problem if you're eating top ramen every night because of your record collecting habits.