Lou Ragland - is this all it's cracked up to be?

triptoyourmindtriptoyourmind 294 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Saw this sell for $550, whats so good about it?

Comments

• It has a Ligra on the cover, stupid!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SWEET!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Saw this sell for $550, whats so good about it?

It's one of the greatest private press modernish soul albums I've heard. The story on this is that the master tapes and most of the remaining stock were destroyed in a house fire, which, in addition to the fantastic quality of the music, probably accounts for the high price it fetches.

Musically, it reminds me, in parts, of Leroy Hutson and Al Green. Really intricate production (strings, brass, and one brAek), esp. if you consider that it was a private press and that his previous album ("Hot Chocolate") was so stripped down. One of the tracks, ("Since You Said You'd Be Mine") was released as a one-off single by Warner Bros and was a fairly big choon in the UK's Northern Soul circuit.

The album has been reissued (from a semi-pristine vinyl copy - sound quality is occassionally iffy) by Soul Brother Records and is available from DGA. Definitely worth investigating further.

I had the fortune of corresponding with Mr. Ragland a few years ago via his website and managed to purchase a few CDs from him...really nice dude! Unfortunately, the site has been down for a while.

SG