Time Out of Mind: New Neil Diamond is a Killer!

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
This new Neil Diamond record, "12 Songs," produced by Rick Rubin is killing me right now. It's beautiful, stripped down and tragic. The best of Neil Diamond without the ironic subtext (at least for me; I was a late entry to the Diamond fan club). This is a perfect Sunday morning record, especially after a shallow Saturday night of too many beers and not enough meaning. Diamond's song, "Save Me a Saturday Night," could even serve as a nice bookend to the Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning" or "I'll Be Your Mirror," what with its music box melody and gentle acoustic guitar. This is a grown and sexy record, in line with Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" and Bob Dylan's "Time Out of Mind": Older artists coming to terms with their own mortality.

Comments

• MP3 link?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    did you get the deluxe edition with the track(s?) with Brian Wilson?

• MP3 link?

You can hear the whole album at http://www.myspace.com/neildiamond

I like it so far. I think I will get it. WhiteTea is right. Very much a Sunday morning listen.

Wow, Delirious Love is the joint.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I was skeptical about this, dismissing it as soup of the day. The recent spate of revival records have left me a bit

Then the promo arrived.

Save Me A Saturday Night is probably my favorite track of this year. The Sea Change comparisons can't be ignored, but that's hardly a reason to not like it.

Haven't heard about vinyl, but Rubin did it for all the Cash records, so it seems likely.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    MP3 link?

I got the regular version off isohunt.com.

• Save Me A Saturday Night is probably my favorite track of this year.

Goddamn yes.

Lovely how that song floats.

Herm

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hah, this is okay but a little forced and I can't get the 80's Jazz Singer image outta my head. Saying go put on some James Taylor or Michael Franks. Those dudes have been ruling this genre for years.

Props to the bearded one Rick Rubin who is proving himself to be a mellow rockin dude these days balancing his buddhism and producing metal-influenced beats/braekz.

Why was the track "I really love this game" he did for Slim Thug left off the Already Platinum official album??? Yaaargh, Dstill knows what I am talking about.

GOULET.

• If you've never heard this you gotta check out Neil Diamond's The Pot Song

• I have a copy, although I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I love Neil's semi-rocking stuff from the 1966-69 era (mostly on the Bang label); things like "Thank The Lord For The Night Time," "You Got To Me," "I'm A Believer," and that live LP on Uni (Gold) have a lot more edge than the Neil we know today. It's time he got back to that.