stereo setup problem (nrr)

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Okay i just built this fat table to hold my setup. i have a problem though now my amp/reciever when i turn it up loud or turn the bass up shuts off. i have never had this problem before. i had to take down my stereo to put the table in and now it's all fucked up. coudl someone help me. i don't feel like going to one of those nerdy technical message boards, thought somebody on here could help out.is it my speakers ? i checked the wiring and the speakers are completely connected in. i looked up the manual for my reciever andd it doesn't mention anything like this. i was listening to roots radics and i must have the bass on full blast for that puppy.dave

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    are the +/- splits on your speaker wire crossing at any place? That will get the "shut off" thing happening in a second...uncross 'em and you'll be all good..
    gNAT

• i am assuming it worked fine (aka could handle loud bass) before the table came into the equation?

thoroughly check all wiring connections and make sure everything is hooked up like you had it before. make sure your speaker wiring isn't frayed and possibly touching anything except what it is supposed to touch....

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    did you change speakers from your old set up when you made the change?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Okay i just built this fat table to hold my setup. i have a problem though now my amp/reciever when i turn it up loud or turn the bass up shuts off. i have never had this problem before. i had to take down my stereo to put the table in and now it's all fucked up. coudl someone help me. i don't feel like going to one of those nerdy technical message boards, thought somebody on here could help out.

is it my speakers ? i checked the wiring and the speakers are completely connected in. i looked up the manual for my reciever andd it doesn't mention anything like this. i was listening to roots radics and i must have the bass on full blast for that puppy.

dave

Are the vents on your amp blocked? heat has to be able to escape from the amp. Did you build a cabinet to hold your gear?

• Okay i just built this fat table to hold my setup. i have a problem though now my amp/reciever when i turn it up loud or turn the bass up shuts off. i have never had this problem before. i had to take down my stereo to put the table in and now it's all fucked up. coudl someone help me. i don't feel like going to one of those nerdy technical message boards, thought somebody on here could help out.

is it my speakers ? i checked the wiring and the speakers are completely connected in. i looked up the manual for my reciever andd it doesn't mention anything like this. i was listening to roots radics and i must have the bass on full blast for that puppy.

dave

Are the vents on your amp blocked? heat has to be able to escape from the amp. Did you build a cabinet to hold your gear?

thanks for the help guys. i'm checking the wires now.

the vents are blockked. i got a tape player and cd player stacked on top on it. is this a problem ?

maybe i should build a cabinet for it. any one got any pictures or specs to go by ?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Okay i just built this fat table to hold my setup. i have a problem though now my amp/reciever when i turn it up loud or turn the bass up shuts off. i have never had this problem before. i had to take down my stereo to put the table in and now it's all fucked up. coudl someone help me. i don't feel like going to one of those nerdy technical message boards, thought somebody on here could help out.

dave

thanks for the help guys. i'm checking the wires now.

the vents are blockked. i got a tape player and cd player stacked on top on it. is this a problem ?

maybe i should build a cabinet for it. any one got any pictures or specs to go by ?

If the vents are blocked & heat can't escape, your amp will cut out.

• are the +/- splits on your speaker wire crossing at any place? That will get the "shut off" thing happening in a second...uncross 'em and you'll be all good..
    gNAT

that seems to be the problem. i cut the frayed wires and stuck them all the way in the speaker holder part and it works perfectly now.

thanks again for the help everyone.

dave

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if i were you, i'd try to get about 3 inches of space inbetween your amp and your tape deck, resting the tape deck using two 8 inch (or however long your amp is) pieces of 2 X 4 on either side works well. even if that's not the problem now, it'll be a problem in the long run...