VEGAS

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited January 2016 in Record Collecting
Going to the desert for the first time for my 30th. What can I expect? Should I bother getting degraded by this Rich bastard?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Crazy Horse Too, man, at the top of the Strip. Fun.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Going to the desert for the first time for my 30th. What can I expect? Should I bother getting degraded by this Rich bastard?

Definitely - go there a pick out a stack of wax about 6 inches high. When he tells you it's gonna cost you $5000 (like he did me), just leave them there on the counter. He hates having to re-file his shit.

Oh and see if you pass the 'Tribe' test......he'll invite you out to see the cover version soul group performing in the Sidewalk Hotel.

• Going to the desert for the first time for my 30th. What can I expect? Should I bother getting degraded by this Rich bastard?

Definitely - go there a pick out a stack of wax about 6 inches high. When he tells you it's gonna cost you $5000 (like he did me), just leave them there on the counter. He hates having to re-file his shit.

Oh and see if you pass the 'Tribe' test......he'll invite you out to see the cover version soul groupl in the Sidewalk Hotel.

Ask if he has any more quantity of Hi Fidelity on Queen Constance. He was bumping off copies at $30 a pop last I checked.

He sold me an afroharping for $75, not TERRIBLE...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Ask if he has any more quantity of Hi Fidelity on Queen Constance. He was bumping off copies at $30 a pop last I checked.

He sold me an afroharping for $75, not TERRIBLE...

He does have some reasonable stuff in there, particularly local Vegas gear.

I copped a $50 G.T's LP out of there.....he may have more.

• It should be noted that "last I checked" was five years ago and he may well have gotten wise to the disco/boogie/moder side of things...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I would go check out Rich. He's a cocksucker for sure, but if you throw it right back at him he might respect you.

I got some reasonable shit there. GT's for not bad, Fifty Foot Hose etc...He doesn't know shit about 12's at all. That's where I scored with him. Got some really good deals there. Can Tago Mago for $30 etc...

Also go check out:

-Nobu @ the Hard Rock. Very Casual dining compared to their NYC venue

and for fashionable night life go check out Tao @ the Venetian.

• when you gonna be out there? I'm stuck there next monday to friday for a denny's convention (wifey). Will be digging allday everyday. holla.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'll be there this weekend for a bachelor party. I can't wait... it's been over a year since I've been. You gonna be around this weekend at all Thes or do you not get in until Monday? Word,

DJ Ferrari

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i think anyone that went off on an antitheft diatribe would have a second thought if they met dude at waxtrax. seriously. tell him someone is stealing his car outside, and when he goes to check, run out with as much as you can grab.

• agreed. One time many many years ago I went in for the first time and he kept referring to me and my homeboy as "funky guys". I can hear him now: "Hey funky guys, don't pick that up", "Hey Funky Guys, there's some James Brown over here.. don't touch it". He had a sealed Cult that looked dish warped. being that it is Vegas and it does get mad hot out there, I was pretty sure it was. When I suggested we open it to check it, assuring that I would buy it if it wasn't warped, he pretty much kicked me out. $250 for a warped Cult? The mail does not go through on that.

f- I don't get in till monday... Planning on hitting up pawn shops for equipment mostly but any vegas heads PM me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    He had a sealed Cult that looked dish warped. being that it is Vegas and it does get mad hot out there, I was pretty sure it was. When I suggested we open it to check it, assuring that I would buy it if it wasn't warped, he pretty much kicked me out. $250 for a warped Cult?
    hahaha. i saw that same record, and thought the exact same thing. however, i didnt make him an offer. i just let him sit there and feed me patronizing comment after patronizing comment, while i looted his ass blind.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'll be there Friday night... leaving Monday morning. This is a special "away from the child" romantic trip with the wife. I hate gambling.. would rather buy records. What's the name of Rich's shop "Wax Trax"?

• That's what I'm talking about.
    Funky guys 1, Record dick 0

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    by the way Rick, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

get loose brohannson. go check out Saphire. It was like the zanadu of strip joints. any cabbie will take you there for free. they get kickbacks from the club.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    by the way Rick, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

get loose brohannson. go check out Saphire. It was like the zanadu of strip joints. any cabbie will take you there for free. they get kickbacks from the club.

Thanks man... 3-0... I will be retiring pretty soon.

I am psyched for this weekend. No Kid ='s sleep,sex, and drink.

• If you want a grittier experience, go downtown to the Freemont Experience. The stakes are better, buffets cost $2.95 and there is an amazing all Philipino cover band that does twenty minute renditions of "Music of the Night" complete with a mask and flashlights.

If you can learn craps between now and then, it has the best odds in vegas. My new game is three card poker.

• I was in Vegas last year..it was a trip going to WaxTrax. When i called the place he already told me he was "Very expensive" then when I got to the store i got the same treatment before i could get in, had to explain what i was looking for and then he decided i could have a look in the store

Then he starts telling me stories about his visits to The Netherlands..i was like but i try to be polite and got in that conversation and he tells me I dont even wanna hear it dude and gives me a flyer for some funk party LOL!!

I left with 2 12's that day because everything i pulled out was waaay overpriced or he had to look up first, i think he gave me the tourist prices. I thought i had a deal when i pulled Headless heroes for $40 then at the counter he says: you dont think i'm crazy right? thats a 300 dollar record, this is $40 because its a limited reissue.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Planning on hitting up pawn shops for equipment mostly but any vegas heads PM me.

Please send any and all vintage effects pedals you find promptly to my adress. I cant be paying these Future Music prices, nahmean?

• Raj, check out John Doe's "The Get Back" Friday. Shakey from Sheer Magic will be out representing Chicago as well. John usually has stuff for sale/trade too so if you want his info hit me on the pm.

http://www.thegetbackvegas.com/

• aww, jack's a good dude. i support future.
    How about I send all vintage bicycle pedals I find to you.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    You know damn well that the chinese allready bought up all the rare bicycle pedals in the early 90's buying-trips, yo.

• Yeah well times were different then. Before Ebay killed the whole game and all these little dudes started coming around like, I'm looking for this raer huffy.. dudes need to stick to thier schwynn, learn thier fundamentals. Then step up to the Haro's, CW's and Diamond backs,

The worst part is this phenomenon of dudes that don't even ride (or know how)...
    the f**k you need good pedals for?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Yeah well times were different then. Before Ebay killed the whole game and all these little dudes started coming around like, I'm looking for this raer huffy.. dudes need to stick to thier schwynn, learn thier fundamentals. Then step up to the Haro's, CW's and Diamond backs,

The worst part is this phenomenon of dudes that don't even ride (or know how)...

Once the fad blows over, these same folks will be begging us to buy their collections...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Yeah well times were different then. Before Ebay killed the whole game and all these little dudes started coming around like, I'm looking for this raer huffy.. dudes need to stick to thier schwynn, learn thier fundamentals. Then step up to the Haro's, CW's and Diamond backs,

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'll be there Friday night... leaving Monday morning. This is a special "away from the child" romantic trip with the wife. I hate gambling.. would rather buy records. What's the name of Rich's shop "Wax Trax"?

yo, are you talking about this upcoming weekend?

I'm planning a trip out there for Saturday, and I can show you the rackord spots around town (if we both got time) get at me via PM

• are you really gonna have time to dig?
    sleep,sex, and drink
    this sounds like a full schedule to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Raj, check out John Doe's "The Get Back" Friday. Shakey from Sheer Magic will be out representing Chicago as well. John usually has stuff for sale/trade too so if you want his info hit me on the pm.

the homie Tonearm_robbery spins there as well

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Raj, check out John Doe's "The Get Back" Friday. Shakey from Sheer Magic will be out representing Chicago as well. John usually has stuff for sale/trade too so if you want his info hit me on the pm.

the homie Tonearm_robbery spins there as well

D is the homie!

There's alot of stuff for you to check out. Try to score some tickets for any of the Cirque shows. Don't miss the GETBACK, or any of the other first friday stuff. I will be at the getback, tearing up the dance floor. Look for the only black guy with an Afro. Killing it in the bboy circles. Don't forget to stop buy.

Big B's, Balconey lights, Hip Hop site (all 3 in about a half a mile radius), Zia, The 2 record Citys on Charleston. You can give that fucking guy Rich a try. He has some gems, but he over charges, and looks on Ebay to price records. He knows what he got, but if he doesn't like you, he'll ask for $300 for a neu! record. Also check out Tower Records, WOW! Right down the street. Great magazine spot/lame vinyl spot. PM me and, I can show you some spots otherwise.

- spidey

• sleep,sex, and drink.

Description of an ideal weekend. Enjoy Raj!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    f- I don't get in till monday... Planning on hitting up pawn shops for equipment mostly but any vegas heads PM me.

Specifically what kind of equipment are you looking for. I'm a vintage guitar pedal head.

- spidey