rec.music.hip-hop, alt.rap -- did u post?????

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i used to post on that shit constantly back in the early 90s...i remember when rec.music.hip-hop was created...i remember o-dub on there and john book (props on the U-WU NEWSLETTER, who used to read that shit too?)...ya'll remember that fool on there loklass? that's Celph Titled... man I traded a GANG of tapes with people off that... I remember CHASE (who runs MEPHIX now)... damn who else was up in there? anyone got some classic posts?peace.

Comments

• i used to post on that shit constantly back in the early 90s...
    anyone got some classic posts?
    peace.

everyone used to post on there. two classic posts I remember were "my girlfriend is a nigger" by fritz tha kat that was similar to the race threads on here and the one where Kari Orr told Rashied/Robert (Archaic) "YOU are the nature of the threat"

some things never change

(old time rmhh dude)

• That's hilarious that Archaic used to be there...him and the
    goddamn American Taliban!

Odub and John Book was all up on there.

Wasn't there an inflammatory poster who went by D-ROCK, who brought
    the realness, perhaps the first soft-batch internut clown who made
    all the others ashamed of their soft-batchness.

Also I remember how Flash used to post so carefully as to make people
    think he was black, without actually saying he was black.

Just your internuts on the fuckin' dresser....BLAOW!

back to the future:
    I think I missed some action here last week, was Archaic re-installed,
    and yet banned again?

• fuck that! i used to steal the vinyl exchange piece of paper thingy that used to come to the nonexistant "rap" music director person at my college radio station. i even saved a couple. how got that doggs?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    who remembers GOLDEN CHILD?! he was like the love child of the mack and TA, only raised in queensbridge.

• Kari Orr

Red Kool Aid! That's the homie from waaaaay back. Wow, him and Rashid were goin' at it on internets years ago? I had no idea.

And yes, Archaic came back here briefly as Harvey_Canal, but was banned again.

• Anybody remember that incident in rmhh when a regular posted a message saying that he was leaving the group and quitting listening to rap cos he felt that hiphop was not for the white people. A heated discussion ensued. Then after a while, the dude reveals that he's message hadn't been real. Just an experiment to see peoples reactions.

• Any Then after a while, the dude reveals that he's message hadn't been real. Just an experiment to see peoples reactions.

That was Mike Burke.

And the Dee-Rock someone mentioned was actually named DEE TEE: typical NYC hardrock asshole attitude but dude was on point most of the time. I think he also wrote reviews for Stress or one of those hip hop mags that came and went in a flash.

• I had to come out of the shadows for this post...I lived on that board when I was 13 or 14 and all about Raekwon, Artifacts, Heltah Skeltah and shit. I recently searched for old posts of mine on google or something and ended up getting way deep into some of those old RMHH threads again.

I nearly forgot about all the people that used to be on there... No wonder John Book's voice seems so familiar when I read his posts here & on OKP. I miss those early internet days when catching a busted ass 30 second soundclip was a thrill. Used to get sooo many mixtapes and demos in the mail off that board.

Fuck yeah... Loklass EL Papichulo, The Mountain Brothers dudes and other characters. A classic board!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    relive the magic:

"classic" rmhh posts

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i was still rolling through the ISCA bbs queues to pop in the hiphop forum. 14.4 modems represent.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i was still rolling through the ISCA bbs queues to pop in the hiphop forum. 14.4 modems represent.

yo that takes me WAY BACK.

who used to rep up in there?

• i was still rolling through the ISCA bbs queues to pop in the hiphop forum. 14.4 modems represent.

Yo, I *still* log onto ISCA each day... I'm Disco Dave on there. I posted on RMHH back in the day too, going under Tuff_Gong just like on here.

As far as the people on RMHH, I remember a lot of the people mentioned already. I definitely knew of John Book, Noixe, Golden Child, and other names I've undoubtedly forgotten over the years. Of course, the one name I knew from both RMHH and ISCA was and still is Steve 'Flash' Juon. I don't know if Steve still posts over on RMHH but I still talk with him on ISCA. I think back in the day I even facilitated a music trade of some sort involving a Lifer's Group piece between John Book and Steve Juon.

If we're really gonna geek out old school, who else used to IRC on EfNet and hang out on #hiphop? I remember there was that, and then a bunch of people left to head over to #hip-hop or something, and then people left there, etc, etc. Hiphop fans by and large don't lack for ego so there was always drama of some sort going on.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Damn, I started off with a 2400 baud modem.. then went to 9600, 14.4k, 28.8 etc... who remembers USR Dual Standard modems? those were the shit... raer in australia cuz they werent approved by the telephone company...

Who remembers warez groups like THG - The humble guys, iNC - international network of crackers, RZR1911 - razor 1911, etc... damn...

Also who remembers COMSENSE on #hip-hop?? clownin! I remember when that channel would get taken over, some fool would kick ban everyone and it was on for days....

Damn, i got dogged on my profile!! peep this;

http://www.ibiblio.org/hiphop/home.html

peace.

• Damn, I started off with a 2400 baud modem.. then went to 9600, 14.4k, 28.8 etc... who remembers USR Dual Standard modems? those were the shit... raer in australia cuz they werent approved by the telephone company...

My brother and I ran a BBS back in the day... We had a USR Courier back when those things were expensive as hell but you could get the "sysop discount" if you ran a BBS. That thing kicked major ass and was flash-upgradeable for when they released new standards for modems.

Who remembers warez groups like THG - The humble guys, iNC - international network of crackers, RZR1911 - razor 1911, etc... damn...

I remember them...remember them well. Way back in the day I had unlimited accounts on some local pirate BBSes and got all kinds of pirated software. I remember downloading all the latest games and being able to play them. Back then a HUGE game might be a couple megs so it wasn't like today's games where they'd take 5 days to download via modem.

And speaking of groups... Anybody remember iCE? The ANSI art group? My brother was a member of that group, so our BBS was a distro site for their ANSI packs. Later on there was a demo group called Future Crew that released a really damn cool (for the time) PC demo called "Second Reality" that had a huge buzz around it. Our BBS was a distro site for Future Crew stuff so we had people calling from literally all over the world to download their demos from our BBS. Our BBS is actually listed in the credits for Second Reality, which was a geek bragging point back in the day. Ahh, the good old BBS days...sometimes I miss them. Sometimes.

Also who remembers COMSENSE on #hip-hop?? clownin! I remember when that channel would get taken over, some fool would kick ban everyone and it was on for days....

COMSENSE!! That old Indian bastard. It was so easy to get his panties in a bunch. He was the rudest bastard in the world towards you, until you had something he wanted and then he was your best friend.

• Also who remembers COMSENSE on #hip-hop?? clownin! I remember when that channel would get taken over, some fool would kick ban everyone and it was on for days....

MAN. I swear to god.... That fucking herb almost had me drive to his dayjob and get myself in some real trouble. I wanted to KILL that dood. Sheep: you know all those channels were jocking Triple-Bypass, gimme my daps.

• parenparen 537 Posts

Yo, I *still* log onto ISCA each day... I'm Disco Dave on there. I posted on RMHH back in the day too, going under Tuff_Gong just like on here.

As far as the people on RMHH, I remember a lot of the people mentioned already. I definitely knew of John Book, Noixe, Golden Child, and other names I've undoubtedly forgotten over the years. Of course, the one name I knew from both RMHH and ISCA was and still is Steve 'Flash' Juon. I don't know if Steve still posts over on RMHH but I still talk with him on ISCA. I think back in the day I even facilitated a music trade of some sort involving a Lifer's Group piece between John Book and Steve Juon.

If we're really gonna geek out old school, who else used to IRC on EfNet and hang out on #hiphop? I remember there was that, and then a bunch of people left to head over to #hip-hop or something, and then people left there, etc, etc. Hiphop fans by and large don't lack for ego so there was always drama of some sort going on.

Hell, I remember, Disco Dave, indeed. i had several incarnations on ISCA... not sure that I can remember them all. For at least 5 years it's been: Simic Mimic. I moderated a hiphop forum another bbs as well a lonnnng time ago - Brinta, I believe.

Who was that dude, Crackbaby?... if he's on here somewhere I'll loss it.

• Hell, I remember, Disco Dave, indeed. i had several incarnations on ISCA... not sure that I can remember them all. For at least 5 years it's been: Simic Mimic. I moderated a hiphop forum another bbs as well a lonnnng time ago - Brinta, I believe.

Who was that dude, Crackbaby?... if he's on here somewhere I'll loss it.

Yeah, I was on Brinta for a brief moment, probably in the hiphop forum. Brinta just never held my interest the way ISCA did though.

Crackbaby? That was that dude named Jesse, also went by Jaybee on IRC, I think, and everybody called him Gaybee. I think his name was like Jesse Bauer or some shit like that. Him and ComSense were neck and neck for the obnoxious asshole award, but Jesse probably wins it because Com would at least occasionally have normal conversations. Gaybee just reveled in dissing people non-stop.

• who remembers GOLDEN CHILD?! he was like the love child of the mack and TA, only raised in queensbridge.

if I am not mistaken..I do remember this guy...WAYYYY back in the AOL hip hop chat room. 94ish maybe? maybe I am wrong

• anyone else ever post on alt.graffiti way back when....I remember espo,reas,gkae as well as plenty of others used to.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    who was that chick who ran graffiti.org... that sites kinda olllld school now!

i used to read that forum but never post...

• ScottScott 420 Posts

Also I remember how Flash used to post so carefully as to make people
    think he was black, without actually saying he was black.

Yep, most definitely not black.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Greetings program! I'm Steve 'Flash' Juon, but you may know me better around certain websites for classic or retro-gaming as "MegaManFan."