Hey Canadians (Politics Thread NRR) Oh what a week

13»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

An election will be held within 30 days of the second Gomery report, which will be released in April. It was a commitment Martin made last year.

Possibilities:

1. Another Liberal minority supported by NDP. (likely)

2. Liberal majority (probably not)

3. Conservative minority government (unlikely)

Number one is probably gonna happen, and it'll look a lot like today's federal politics. Give it two or three years and then the Liberals will be a majority again, for better or worse. A referendum on Quebec will happen again in ten years or so, unlikely before then.

This is the thing that makes me ticked off tho.

It's not a possibility IMO, it's a fact that no matter when the election happens, it will be another Liberal minority. And I don't have a problem with that. It's the fact that people will not stand up and show it was wrong.

The problem I have is that people for the most part, don't care that top people in the governing party of Canada, one - committed major crimes and two - that stolen money was used to win elections.

And what has been done about this? A handful of people were kicked out of the Liberal party? And the RMCP will look into it? Don't forget... This was already investigated by the RMCP many years ago and they came up with nothing. Because they were protecting the PMO you think?

Don't get me wrong. I dislike Mr. Harper in a big way. I don't wanna see him as PM. But this shit is getting way out of hand. How many scandals (Cause this is not the first one...) are going to have to happen before Canadians stand up and say they won't take it anymore?

And I agree on the referendum in about 10 years. I just think things have been stired up and look to around 5 years for things to start gearing up, with a vote happening in 8 years or so.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Your feelings (Like a lot[/b] of people) are that the Liberals could steal any amount of money and use it to suit their own needs, just as long as Mr Harper does not become PM.

i must be much more upset about that 8-0 loss than i thought - the tears in my eyes make it look like you're telling me how i feel.

i will be amazed if Harper becomes PM with enough power to fuck the country up enough to make me want to move.

why do you want an election? what difference do you foresee?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Your feelings (Like a lot[/b] of people) are that the Liberals could steal any amount of money and use it to suit their own needs, just as long as Mr Harper does not become PM.

i must be much more upset about that 8-0 loss than i thought - the tears in my eyes make it look like you're telling me how i feel.

i will be amazed if Harper becomes PM with enough power to fuck the country up enough to make me want to move.

why do you want an election? what difference do you foresee?

Mr Harper will never be PM. I mean, it could happen... But dude just doesn't have what it takes.

See above post to maybe give you more answers.

Don't cry, dry ur eye... Lets go have a drink!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    People who think Gomery isn't encouraging separatism or that separatism died with the last referendum are in lala land. During the Gomery hearings in Montreal support for separatism rose to 54%. Now it's in the neighbourhood of 50% and on the rise. Separatism today is also a different species. It's now dominated by youths, activists who dubiously conflate a sovereign Quebec with a more socially just Quebec, and, increasingly, immigrants. Ethnics, to use Pariseau's term, are fair game for separatist agitators; witness the separatist MLA in the Parc Extension, a traditionally Liberal riding. I think it's remarkably crass that the separatists lure new Canadians with promises of more lenient immigration laws in a sovereign Quebec, but there's a certain fundamental crassness to Quebec nationalism in any case.

All this seems to me something of a moot point anyway. The Supreme Court's Reference re Quebec Secession made it fairly clear that it's simply not possible for Quebec to unilaterally secede from Canada. The hard-line separatists deliberating over what sort of army a sovereign Quebec should have are almost as delusional as people who think separatism is dead.

The moral: go listen to los loco locas and take notes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    People who think Gomery isn't encouraging separatism or that separatism died with the last referendum are in lala land. During the Gomery hearings in Montreal support for separatism rose to 54%. Now it's in the neighbourhood of 50% and on the rise. Separatism today is also a different species. It's now dominated by youths, activists who dubiously conflate a sovereign Quebec with a more socially just Quebec, and, increasingly, immigrants. Ethnics, to use Pariseau's term, are fair game for separatist agitators; witness the separatist MLA in the Parc Extension, a traditionally Liberal riding. I think it's remarkably crass that the separatists lure new Canadians with promises of more lenient immigration laws in a sovereign Quebec, but there's a certain fundamental crassness to Quebec nationalism in any case.

All this seems to me something of a moot point anyway. The Supreme Court's Reference re Quebec Secession made it fairly clear that it's simply not possible for Quebec to unilaterally secede from Canada. The hard-line separatists deliberating over what sort of army a sovereign Quebec should have are almost as delusional as people who think separatism is dead.

The moral: go listen to los loco locas and take notes.
    Well put totally co-sign. also, For real lyrick wise, loco locass are pretty good

The only thing that scares me about the youth separatism is the rapid mobilization factor behind it. Our youth movement in quebec could take on a lot of causes as most of our parents were ``militnts themselves. However jumping into something like this unprepared is dangerous. I mean I`m also sure a lot of Udem and UQAM professors that are separatists would participate in the student legitimization of separatism. Will have to wait and see I guess

• In the future, it will all be about fresh water natural resources. Canada has LOADS... The US has a very limited supply.