Bossa Nova

Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm djing a little backyard engagement party and they want me to include a bossa nova set. I already have The Girl From Emphysema, what else do I need?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I celebrate the entire Elenco catalog.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Antonio Carlos Jobim
    -perfect for romantic style soft nice evening type thing
    Check the Personalidad comp (verve) for his classics
    Maybe some getz/gilberto

• and if you can find a copy of Mario Castro Neves and Samba SA or Conjunto 3D or any early Deodato on Equipe label are good easy going. Wanda Sa also good for the sunset hour

• HIYOOOO!!!
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

• Sabadabada check your PMs.

• Apart from the obvious like the Gilbertos, Jobim & Mendes... Even some Stan Getz, Joyce, Bebel Gilberto.

Maybe try some others that are easy to find, like...

Walter Wanderly.... also his 'Brazilian Blend' Lp..

and Marcos Valle... This one would be a great starter.

And for the older patrons who don't know much about music, try the classic...

Hey it was a $1 & worth it. And I like the cover...

• speaking of a warped whatmusic release.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    speaking of a warped whatmusic release.

I only bought one whatmusic reissue in my life, and it was warped. One of these days it will go into the oven.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'm djing a little backyard engagement party and they want me to include a bossa nova set. I already have The Girl From Emphysema, what else do I need?

To give it a slight newer sound I (personally) would incorporate some Bebel Gilberto or Nicola Conte. I'd also throw in some Sergio Mendes steez as well.

• grab some Joyce sides...I dont think anyone will dislike her as soon as they hear it. I also have a fondness for Claudette Soares.

dont forget the GG masters like Vincius de Moraes and Joao Gilberto.

Also MBP4 has some cool stuff...even some bossa tunes with gnarly fuzz.