OG check... Ike Truner

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i got an Ike Turner - A Black Mans Soul... and I'm Wondering if it is an OG.Its on the thin white stock, which looks a little yellowed, but it has that look that makes me think that it is either a obsessively taken care of OG or a 90's repress...Its even got legit looking ring wear and edge wear. I paid good $ for this, and I wanna know so I can complain if neccessary.Also, what is the difference between the green and black covers? Mines Black.I got some other pompeii releases, and some are on the same stock...Whats the deal?any info appreciated...L

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the black is the first press (this has come up a buncha times) mine is on off-white stock too, and I'm positive mine is authentic. The OG's are not the paste-on brown inside type of covers.

• Thanks, Bro...

i finally got my copy (after skipping a copy about 10 yrs ago in a cheapie bin,
    and it got picked up by my man who has not let me forget it since...)

I can now sleep good while listening to Getting nasty on repeat...

such a dope record.

• such a dope record.

• It says here
    "The Pompeii label from 6000 to 6005 was distributed by Atco: The number 6006 and above were not distributed by Atco."

Black Man's Soul is 6003. This has made me believe that the Atco distributed yellow/green cover version came first. When Atco quit the distribution soon after the release, Pompeii repressed the album with the black/white cover and with no mention about Atco. But they still used the old catalogue number SD 6003, which is clearly Atco related. All Atco related records from that time were numbered SDxxxx.
    Anyway, both versions probably came out very close to each other.

Does this make sense to anyone?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Does this make sense to anyone?

Yes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is the Atco a better pressing? They tend to be quality, even with distribution titles.

• Black Cover=2nd press ...... blue or green cover(can't remember which)= first press and seems much harder to get than the black.

• i need this LP! anyone got an extra 1st or 2nd press? i have some pittsburgh jazz to trade...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Black Cover=2nd press ...... blue or green cover(can't remember which)= first press and seems much harder to get than the black.

Yes.

It's weird, this is the exact opposite conclusion than was reached in the last 2 threads about this record.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i need this LP! anyone got an extra 1st or 2nd press? i have some pittsburgh jazz to trade...
    what pittsburgh jazz you got thun?

• i need this LP! anyone got an extra 1st or 2nd press? i have some pittsburgh jazz to trade...
    what pittsburgh jazz you got thun?

aww man, nothing you don't already have- just some frank c's

shit man, i need the corkscrew cover dip, you got one of those for the boy?

• actually no, i need that one too. Mine is missing the cover
    that one shouldn't actually be that tough, i mean jeez, you found the George B jumpoff, that's way harder!
    i'll keep my eye out though...

yeah thats the only one i need. jerrys had 2 real clean copies at one point, without covers! guessing thats where you copped yours

by the way, you got the george b dip? you need it, it's rad!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Black Cover=2nd press ...... blue or green cover(can't remember which)= first press and seems much harder to get than the black.

Yes.

Yes.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yes.

Yes.

i had the first press. I traded it to kon way back in the day for like gap mangione and some other dumb shit to sample. hahaha.

• anyone know the ratio of green covers to black covers??

1:6

• interesting
    thanks!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    anyone know the ratio of green covers to black covers??

Post of the day.

Post of the day.
    cosign.

how the fuck do people know shit like this?

in any case that record is fucking