I just listened to My Favorite Things for the

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
first time in two years. The Coletrane one. Damn. I can get so caught up in the raer shit. Is anyone fucking with Coletrane? Now or in the past? Is there anyone who doesnt have him as their favorite tenor and soprano man??? If so, wtf?

Comments

• I would have loved to see him do that song on one of his two hour renditions of it. That man was ill. He took that song to a whole diffrent place. My baby sister when she was like 2 used to watch the "Sound of Music" like everyday for a couple years straight. I remember her watchin that 3hr movie 3 times in one day. So safe to say I have heard the Julie Andrews version a "few times". Anyways what Coltrane did with that song is out of this world. He tapped into the Universe with that one.

• Coletrane?

ornette and john's secret love child?

• Coletrane?

ornette and john's secret love child?

FUCKME!

Well I hadnt listened to him in a while. Any authority I had to discuss Coltrane has flown out the window.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    first time in two years. The Coletrane one. Damn. I can get so caught up in the raer shit. Is anyone fucking with Coletrane? Now or in the past? Is there anyone who doesnt have him as their favorite tenor and soprano man??? If so, wtf?

Trane's version is truly in every sense of the term.

• first time in two years. The Coletrane one. Damn. I can get so caught up in the raer shit. Is anyone fucking with Coletrane? Now or in the past? Is there anyone who doesnt have him as their favorite tenor and soprano man??? If so, wtf?

the version of summertime on that atlantic lp is very nice as well

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I can get so caught up in the raer shit.

I hear ya on this. Chasing rare shit only to find that the $1 jazz 45s are what's really knocking me out.....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Yeah thats my shit I picked it up on CD and fuck mustve listened for weeks. Even though its him on clarinet its just good smooth vibes and the piano... you just want that to last for ever.
    Defintely some great stuff from jazz greats on the not so raer tip. Check relaxin wit miles davis quintet

• still one of my buggin out type joints...

co-sign on the too much , not enough

• Options

Yeah thats my shit I picked it up on CD and fuck mustve listened for weeks. Even though its him on clarinet its just good smooth vibes and the piano... you just want that to last for ever.
    Defintely some great stuff from jazz greats on the not so raer tip. Check relaxin wit miles davis quintet

First you say Oscar Peterson is dead, now Coltrane is playing a Clarinet (it's an alto saxophone). What other knowledge are you going to drop?

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i know there are lots more...but these are foundation records for me

• first time in two years. The Coletrane one. Damn. I can get so caught up in the raer shit. Is anyone fucking with Coletrane? Now or in the past? Is there anyone who doesnt have him as their favorite tenor and soprano man??? If so, wtf?

First you say Oscar Peterson is dead, now Coltrane is playing a Clarinet (it's an alto saxophone). What other knowledge are you going to drop?

K.

looks like soprano to me!

anyway Meditations is at the top of my list, and the complete 1961 Village Vanguard recordings with Eric Dolphy.

• Options
    I'll add a couple more

• Options
    My bad - i meant to type that. It's not a recorder.

K.

• This is probably my favorite, right hur. Ever since I "borrowed" whis from my Dad when I was 16, its been on.

• Just put this on because of this thread...

• i listened to impressions the other day. india. it made me shit blood.

• i listened to impressions the other day. india. it made me shit blood.
    BAN

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    This is probably my favorite, right hur. Ever since I "borrowed" whis from my Dad when I was 16, its been on.

i just sold this and impressions couple weeks ago, quess being broke will make you do crazy things, i did sit down and go through acouple other coltranes that i couldnt let go, stuff like love supreme and some other impulse...

being broke gremlin

• This is probably the best piece of music that I own. I know for a fact that it's the only box set I have where each disc gets a lot of spins and I have no favorite. The sound on this album gives me chills every time.

• This is probably the best piece of music that I own. I know for a fact that it's the only box set I have where each disc gets a lot of spins and I have no favorite. The sound on this album gives me chills every time.

...if i could only keep one thing out of my whole collection that would be it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

K.

Whateva... a mistake
    listening to it like, 4 years ago some, of those high notes made me think that.. i knew it wasnt trane's regular sax However trane is alternating between the tenor and soprano sax.
    Im an idiot i guess however take it easy

On a related note i came across this Deluxe package
    This deluxe edition has a foldout with two sleeves. One has the CD-style booklet with commentary and a duplication of liner notes. The other sleeve has the actual CD in a miniature of the original LP, complete with liner notes on the back.

And i guess they have two different takes of favorite things (anyone heard em?)

Now i excuse my retarded mistakes and i wish yall a relaxin day
    That song is so pure and relaxing....