external backup hard drive suggestions???

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i need a backup drive for my laptop, and i was wondering if you cats prefer some over others.i'm looking for between 60 and 100G of storage, and i'd like to spend around $100. you guys have any suggestions? what are y'all using?

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    lacie are on point

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    LaCie is the best bet...if you got extra cheese, go for a Glyph.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT050250/

• I was thinking about asking this same question. Are the suggestions the same for a MAC with Firewire 800?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    oh yeah, i should have specified. i gotta PC with only USB's.

are those lacies resonably priced?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Do you want to use a power supply or have it run off USB power? The ones that require power supplies are pretty cheap now but the newer ones that run off USB power are kinda expensive. LaCie is a good brand for looks and durability.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Do you want to use a power supply or have it run off USB power? The ones that require power supplies are pretty cheap now but the newer ones that run off USB power are kinda expensive. LaCie is a good brand for looks and durability.

power supply. it just has to chill at home. I'm also looking for ease of use. are the lacies easy to set for "one touch" backup or whatever?

good lookin out for the responses, by the way.

• if you have a mac you should also get SuperDuper! to back up your HD. if you make a partition on your external HD the same size as your HD SuperDuper! will first copy everything you have to that drive. then every time you want to back it up just click "smart update" and it only updates the whats changed.

if anythign happens you have an exact copy of your hard drive that you can always go back to.

• I recently got a AcomData E5. It has the one-button backup. Works great, super quiet (no fan), etc. Worth checking out.