My Haloween Nightmare!!!!!

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I don't even know where to begin on this one so I guess I'll jump right into the situation. I was asked to play a haloween party last night (Sunday) and everything was set. Sunday rolls around and it's cold, rainy and I'm straight beat down from doing four events in the last three nights. I didn't feel like leaving the house and I figured it would be a thin crowd. I show up to the event and safe to day it was rather nice. The club was decorated really cool, the crowd was excellent and the jump off was a success, um until.....................I get on the decks around midnight to do my thing. No less then 3 records into my set I hear some "other" music coming through the speakers. I quickly check the cdjs to see if perhaps a cd was getting played by mistake over my set. Nope. The music fades out and all is good. So I thought. 20 seconds later it's back. I notice a guy by the soundboard laughing and I notice he is trying to sabbotage my set!!!! I grabbed security and told them go handle it. They didn't budge. Now the soundboard was up a set of stairs and far from where I was or I would have ended it real quick. So this goes on now for like 15 minutes and I'm getting sidewayz looks from the crowd. Then the manager of the club runs over to me and says "Tone it down" this crowd and music is "Way to ghetto!!!". I told her to "fall back" it's a good vibe, your making money on a usually completely dead Sunday night and I seen DJ AM play the same stuff a week ago and what was the difference of me playing the records, why can HE play them but I can't? I told her don't be mad because she doesn't personally like hip hop, just sit back for another hour "cake up" and count your money and go home happy. She was furious and marched off like she was going to war. About two minutes later John Denver comes blasting over my system and I had had it! I just couldn't take it any longer. It was so out of pocket and racist and complete disrespect. so I had to act accordingly! I stopped the music and asked her right then outloud on the mic "is this what you want"? I told the crowd what they had done to me and explained it's fine for DJ AM to come play the same exact shit and they will even pay him $10 thousand and 5 star hotel and flight but I can't play that music because it's "Too Ghetto". I'm a real dude and that shit did not sit well with me one bit. That was it. The night was over right then and there. I literally shut it down. I was heated!!!!!!!!!!!!! I figured they were gonna try to front on my money so I unplugged their turntables and was going to take them as payment. Well someone came up and handed me an envelope full of cash so it was all good. On my way out I heard her talking shit about me. I put on the brakes and did a u turn and was like what? Let's be real I told her and have a conversation. She tried to get real nice at that point and explained they had a situation at the club on friday. I told her I don't give a shit because it's sunday and friday had nothing at all to do with any of us. I told her she disrespected me and my crowd and her paying customers by doing that little kid play country music over my set and what goes around comes around. I could go on for so long about and it's already dumb long now. So I'm gonna "fall back". That was my halloween nightmare!!!!!!!!

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Youre set is TOO GHETTO
    Having other DJ's allowed but not your flow and asking you to change your style

Playing music over your set in her own establishement while trying to make $$$
    Una-fucking-ceptable and stupid
    What a biatch at least you got your $$$

Peace

• That's some seriously fucked up shit. I think you did what was right under the circumstances. Plus...

I figured they were gonna try to front on my money so I unplugged their turntables and was going to take them as payment.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    you handled it good my man. I would have been heated as well.

• Options
    'Preme,

You need to

a) find a warehouse space/loft suitable for ajam

b) rent a boom system if you don't own one already

c) promote to like-minded musically down folk

d) play what the fuck you want

e) party/get paid (door and booze)

K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you handled it good my man. I would have been heated as well.

PROPZ

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    was that shit local?! fuck man, if i were involved with that club, i'd be fucking embarrassed.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    was that shit local?! fuck man, if i were involved with that club, i'd be fucking embarrassed.

Yes. It made me, my promo crew and any one involved look bad. It was just straight disrespect, childish and totally unprofessional. I honestly couldn't believe it. I did me though and I'm standing tall and proud.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Music over your set....................that's grimy.

• my promo crew

Yo Danny, maybe these dudes can get me those chips you still owe me?

On a serious note, I need the discographical info for that Broham 45 you comped.
    Can you get me that? I need the number and the name of the flip.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i played saturday night, and the micromanger was all over me to stop playing rap. i played arsonists "halloween", masta ase "slaughta house", grave diggaz, as well as misfits, thriller and other halloween appropriate shit. i don't get it.

i just ended playing the same old shit as usual. i was expecting to be able to be goofy cause of the holiday.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    i played saturday night, and the micromanger was all over me to stop playing rap. i played arsonists "halloween", masta ase "slaughta house", grave diggaz, as well as misfits, thriller and other halloween appropriate shit. i don't get it.

i just ended playing the same old shit as usual. i was expecting to be able to be goofy cause of the holiday.

at the Triple Crown? I remember when we had a ss party there and you got on the decks and spun that rap music. The grown and sexy crowd was kind of bewildered.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    nah. it was elsewhere. 3crown is almost strictly hiphop. ali shaheed muhammad, rich medina, and rob swift all do regular nights there.

• WOW!!!! That's some ill shit right there. Yo if I would been there D, me and Jojo would had you back fo sho. That shit is wack. Typical Seattle shit. I hate when people use the the term "Ghetto" cause you know what they are really sayin. Yet they always are tryin to make money off the same "ghetto" crowd. The sad part is Seattle doesn't really even have a "Ghetto" that's just some shit some shook totally uneducated person would say. Fuck it cause they know what's up. They are shook and that part is dope cause they were scared not to pay you. They don't want the street coming out of us hip hop cats. The real fucked up thing is that we are just trying to do our job and make a living(good DJs are typicaly nice guys who like to make people have a good time, that's our bizness, we don't go around lookin for static) and every once in a while some assholes always gotta start some shit up. Wether it's a drunk fool or some promoter/club owner thinkin their the Godfather(NOT!!!), it's always the same story. Like they feel insucure when we are up there doin it or something. Some cats wanna be the big shot, but they don't wanna pay the dues cats have paid. This shit takes years, it ain't easy.
    Plus them playin other music during your set is totally uncalled for. That's fuckin with your money right there. They are stupid cause you are makin them money, so from a business stand point it makes no kinda sense what they did, it's like they don't wanna make money or something.WTF?
    Just don't let it get to you brother cause they can't take nothin away from you, you are a good dude and have built a solid rep. There will always be haters, just don't forget that there always will be us hip hop cats who wanna see you suceed. Cause if your doin it, it inspires me to do it, so naturally I'm a support, and that's real talk.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    You ought to write a letter about this shit to the music editor at your local weekly and local paper. Hang that Bitch out to dry for the city...

my promo crew

Yo Danny, maybe these dudes can get me those chips you still owe me?

On a serious note, I need the discographical info for that Broham 45 you comped.
    Can you get me that? I need the number and the name of the flip.

No question Dante! Check your PM.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Music over your set....................
    that's low.

co-sign on your handling of the situation. the potential beatdown of the cackling soundman was a good image though.

• yea man i was there..that was totally weak...at first i didnt know what was going on ..i was like man..."is this some kinna crazy remix?" then i looked up and saw that Supreme didnt like what was going on so i knew someone was messin around...but yea the sound of it was pretty bad..thats messed up for them to even try something like that...its crazy how seattle clubs can hang on so many other djs from out of states nuts! when we got so much fresh talent here...for real! so yea man sorry that had to happen yo...screw them!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    8====DAAAAMN!

Proppers!

What's really wack is it would have been much easier for them to just come and talk to you straight up, instead of resorting to this wack subversive shit by playing music over your set.

What are the chances of you being labeled as a "difficult DJ" from this?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    The house party I did was wack too. I had people buggin the shit out of me all night. I wanted to pack up and leave but it was just me and my homie and I didn't feel like chanching my equipment getting fucked up cuz people was acting stupid. People had mad attitude. One dude asked if I had any "Metal" and I replied, "no." Dude then proceeds with, "WHY?" (with attitude)... So I said, "Cuz no one here will dance to it...." (I was playing a lot of non-rock-stuff all night). I wasn't even playing any type of rock - if i had then I'd understand but nothing even resembling rock music... I don't even want to mention the rest but I got paid and was able to leave a little early... I'll put it to you this way though, a fly-ass mid-30's chick came up and asked, "Could you play any CLASSIC 50-Cent?"

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    "Could you play any CLASSIC 50-Cent?"
    WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    you know...his old school stuff from BITD.

"What are the chances of you being labeled as a "difficult DJ" from this?"

I'm already labeled that by many establishments in town. They either absolutely hate me or love me. Same with the record stores. I can only say that I believe this is because I'm a real dude and I will NOT let them disrespect me or talk to me crazy or give me excusues. Therefore they understand they can not "get over" on me so they can go with the dude that will go for the oakie doke but it will not be me. I'm just saying what goes around comes around. Show respect and I will show it too. I'm an easy going guy and I want everyone to be happy have fun and live life. There was no need for what they did at all what so ever. But yet they want to label me as the difficult one!

• Sounds like you handled it perfectly. You called her out on the mic, got paid, and avoided a physical altercation/arrest.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I spun at a party that was mostly high schoolers (damn them young girls were dressed SLUTY) and got shut down (by the cops)after only an hour. I didn't get to anything real fun I had planned just my early hip-hop and reggae/dancehall set...

• mostly high schoolers (damn them young girls were dressed SLUTY)

I love that. That's how they always dress. You won't find no keepers this way though but fuck it.

• You only played a few songs and still got paid... not bad, right?

Plus, I mean... John Denver. Nothing gets the bitches dancing like some john denver. Obviously the sound guy was droppin' the Denv' because you weren't doing your job right. You probably didn't even have any Captain and Tenille in your crates either. jeez.

Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.
    Real DJs Drop The Denv.

• i dj'd this party on sat. and i saw a girl dressed up like a french whore totally kick her man's ass who was dressed up like a ghostbuster. she threw all kinds of glass champagne cups at his ass and threw him into the side of a car. then a dude dressed up like jesus broke it up. it was pretty funny but i think you had to be there. ghostbuster dude just kept saying "why? why?" and the chick was all yelling "IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!" oh man. halloween rules!

• jesus broke it up.

sweet~!

• i dj'd this party on sat. and i saw a girl dressed up like a french whore totally kick her man's ass who was dressed up like a ghostbuster. she threw all kinds of glass champagne cups at his ass and threw him into the side of a car. then a dude dressed up like jesus broke it up. it was pretty funny but i think you had to be there. ghostbuster dude just kept saying "why? why?" and the chick was all yelling "IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!" oh man. halloween rules!

NICE. Was she hot or just trying to be hot?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!"

NICE. Was she hot or just trying to be hot?

hmmm. well, she was hysterical so im gonna say, NO, not hot. but pretty entertaining.