don't sleep on....

dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
what artists do you ALWAYS check for?Post up artists who's work is categorically not to be skipped. Flipping through records this weekend, I was thinking that while there are many artists who have put out some heat, there is not any small # of those who's entire output (whether as a producer, player, title artist, etc.) should at least be given a listen. Any degree of involvement or rarity is acceptable. for my part I would start off with:Curtis Mayfield, Lord Finnesse, Ray Barretto, Francois de Roubaix (some sleepers, but at least worth a couple listens), Cannonball Adderley, Thelonius Monk, George Martin, Galt Macdermott, Otis Redding, etc. I'm not really even off the ground here, hit me!

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jeezy.

• Always Ghostface to me. I get this face alot whenever I hear his stuff

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    yo dust. that avatar is nice.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Swamp Dogg
    Tony Joe White

• You can never have enough of the chicken dance . . .

• word, that's cool. What is a name, which if you saw on the jacket of an LP you had never heard before, would insure an automatic purchase?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Masta Ace
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Buena Vista Social Club (all members)

• Options
    the ditches

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Always Ghostface to me. I get this face alot whenever I hear his stuff

yes. i would add rza and j-zone.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey D,

Here are some of my perennial faves (in no particular order):

-Rahsaan Patterson.
    -Masta Ace.
    -Steely Dan (even their recent releases).
    -Alice Coltrane (her recent work is even great).
    -Shirley Horn (RIP).
    -Peter Tosh.
    -Dave Holland.
    -Mint Condition.
    -Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young (and associated projects).
    -Joni Mitchell.
    -Ghostface.
    -Diamond.
    -Ed OG.
    -Clifford Coulter.
    -Bill Withers.
    -Me'Shell Ndegeocello.
    -SEAL.
    -The Mighty Clouds of Joy.
    -The Canton Spirituals.
    -The Williams Brothers.
    -Fred Hammond.

I have too many more to name, but I'll stop there.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• good looking, thanks for the list. There are definitely some names on there I'll have to look a little further into.

Alice Coltrane is a good one. Her LPs aren't not all my shit, but some are great, and just about any record she was involved with are of interest to someone.

I'm trying think of other things like Paul C. or whatever who folks are just like yup! sound unheard.

Masta Ace fits the criteria too, as a guest verse from Ace is (almost) always a good sign for a record by whomever.