Kung Fu Flicks? Anyone? (NRR)

puchitopuchito 374 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Who is watching them and what are they watching? What are your favorites?Famous Kung Fu Flick Collectors?Posters?PLEASE KEEP ALL WU TANG REFERENCES TO MINIMUM HERE

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• brodambrodam 46 Posts
    last ones i saw

the younger dude moves just like a monkey! hilarious ass kickery.

chinese husband (gordon liu) tries to convince his japanese wife that chinese martial arts are superior. japanese masters get hold of a challenge meant for his wife and take the matter personally...

i'm convinced people really got hurt during the fight scenes.

over the top action, effects, and comedy! two bad guys use a zither to fling deadly soundwaves...

• I've seen thousands of them since I first started watching in the 70's.
    As in any genre there's going to be a lot of crap to sift through.
    But when it all comes down to it, I always find myself back at the Shaw studios.
    Pound for pound they made the best kung fu movies. Period.
    And until very recently, the majority of Shaw films have gone unseen for years.

Off the top of my head, here's some of my favorites (keep in mind that Shaw produced over 1,000 pictures)...

FIVE (DEADLY) VENOMS
    5 ELEMENT NINJA (SUPER NINJAS)
    LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA/KUNG FU
    KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM
    TO KILL A MASTERMIND
    GANGMASTER
    KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR
    AVENGING EAGLE
    8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER
    THE MASTER (3 EVIL MASTERS)
    HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS
    5 SUPERFIGHTERS
    DIRTY HO
    TREASURE HUNTERS (MASTER OF DISASTER)
    SHAOLIN PRINCE
    OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER
    HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD
    THE PROUD TWINS
    CHINATOWN KID
    5 SHAOLIN MASTERS
    BOXER FROM SHANTUNG
    MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS (THE DESTROYERS)
    REBEL INTRUDERS (KILLER ARMY)
    CRIPPLED AVENGERS (MORTAL COMBAT)
    FLAG OF IRON (SPEARMAN OF DEATH)
    MASKED AVENGERS
    BRAVE ARCHER PARTS 1-4
    A DEADLY SECRET
    LADY ASSASSIN
    LEGEND OF THE FOX
    SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD
    HOUSE OF TRAPS
    KID FROM KWANGTUNG
    BAT WITHOUT WINGS
    BLOODY PARROT
    36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (MASTER KILLER)
    RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER (RETURN OF THE MASTER KILLER)
    DISCIPLES OF THE 36T CHAMBER (DISCPLES OF THE MASTER KILLER)
    FLYING GUILLOTINE
    AMBITIOUS KUNG FU GIRL
    FULL MOON SCIMITAR
    BASTARD SWORDSMAN
    RETURN OF THE BASTARD SWORDSMAN
    EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN
    CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS (FISTS OF THE WHITE LOTUS)

just the tip of the iceberg too I'm afraid.

• Damn dude, I thought I was an enthusiast, but damn. yeah I was gonna say the same thing -- Shaw Brothers are always a sure shot, a good crew of people that always come up with something dope.

That list was pretty complete, there was a couple very necessary jawns left out though...

1. Drunken Master 2 *** (the remake) - not "classic" in the same way as Shaw flicks, but arguably the most ridiculous shit ever caught on film.

2. Shaolin vs Lama

3. Two Champions of Shaolin (you had the pictures in your post, but not the name I think)

4. Killer Army

5. Invincible Shaolin

6. Shaolin vs Wu-Tang

7. Grandmaster of Shaolin Kung Fu

8. Snake in the Eagles Shadow

9. Fist of Legend - the Bruce Lee version and the Jet Li remake

10. Enter The Dragon

11. Jackie Chan's 1st Strike, Rumble in the Bronx, Operation Condor - all pretty dope, if you like new school

** yo you also mentioned Legend of the Fox - I have it on DVD, but its unwatchable b/c the sound goes in and out... maybe there's other versions out there

• That list was pretty complete, there was a couple very necessary jawns left out though...

Yeah, I should have been more clear that my list was strictly Shaw Brothers (and even then not complete by any means!).
    A list of top non-Shaw kung fu flicks (including Golden Harvest, independants, etc.) would take up another page at least.

4. Killer Army

It was listed - under the OG title "Rebel Intruders". Pics are there too!

5. Invincible Shaolin

Major co-signature! Although heads in the US old enough to remember would have seen it on tv back in the day as "Unbeatable Dragon" (aka "North Shaolin vs. South Shaolin" & "Shaolin Bloodshed").
    Class venoms flick.

Definitely in my TOP 5 ALL TIME old school kung fu flicks (neck & neck with "Dance of the Drunk Mantis").
    Shaw or not, this is the one.
    The joint that made Jackie a star and the one that solidified Yuen Wo-Ping's career.
    The movie is essentially the blueprint for literally 100's of imitators that would follow...
    ...youthful kid learns esoteric kung fu style under the tutelage of an old master (in this case, Yuen Wo-Ping's father Simon Yuen who went on to perfect the "Sam Seed" character in dozens of other copycats flicks). Great choice.

** yo you also mentioned Legend of the Fox - I have it on DVD, but its unwatchable b/c the sound goes in and out... maybe there's other versions out there

I'm assumng you have an old bootleg?
    Celestial just recently released a gorgeous looking (and legitimate) DVD. You can cop it for under $15. online. But depending on how much of a stickler you are about these things, I'd suggest getting the vcd instead, since Celestial (the company who owns the rights for releasing all Shaw Bros. films on DVD) went ahead and added or "enhanced" all sorts of extra music and sound effects to the film as a way of marketing to the fickle, 5.1 surround-loving youth market in HK - who presumedly won't watch a movie if it was originally shot in Mono.
    Personally I think they've ruined some of these films (they've done the "enhancements" to some of the DVDs, not all) and so I just get the vcds whenever warranted.

Also, check for "New Tales of the Flying Fox" - another Shaw flick also out courtesy of Celestial (I've posted pics of this one as well).
    It's based on the same book as "Legend" but was made a few years later and boasts much faster moving fights.

(plus Hui Ying Hung is in it)

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    paulnice, how long did it take you to write that post?

• paulnice, how long did it take you to write that post?

Not long at all really.
    I've got all those images on deck, so it's not like I scanned them all just for the occassion!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Not long at all really.
    I've got all those images on deck, so it's not like I scanned them all just for the occassion!

Wow. I just have this problem with reciting long lists of things. It's like when dudes are like "what's your favorite rap groups?" or "list your 20 favorite albums" I'll sit there forever. So when I see dudes pull lists like that out of their asses like that I'm impressed.

There's nothing I hate more than record dealers asking me what I'm looking for. Not because the question is offensive, but because I draw blanks quicker than cigarette smokers.

• Wow. I just have this problem with reciting long lists of things. It's like when dudes are like "what's your favorite rap groups?" or "list your 20 favorite albums" I'll sit there forever. So when I see dudes pull lists like that out of their asses like that I'm impressed.

You have to remember that there are literally thousands of these movies.
    And since my nearly lifelong love for kung fu movies is right up there with my love of music, it's really no thing to name off 50 titles I really dig.
    It's when I look at what I wrote 20 minutes later that I realize I've forgotten at least another 35 joints that should have made the list.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

That list was pretty complete, there was a couple very necessary jawns left out though...

Yeah, I should have been more clear that my list was strictly Shaw Brothers (and even then not complete by any means!).
    A list of top non-Shaw kung fu flicks (including Golden Harvest, independants, etc.) would take up another page at least.

4. Killer Army

It was listed - under the OG title "Rebel Intruders". Pics are there too!

5. Invincible Shaolin

Major co-signature! Although heads in the US old enough to remember would have seen it on tv back in the day as "Unbeatable Dragon" (aka "North Shaolin vs. South Shaolin" & "Shaolin Bloodshed").
    Class venoms flick.

Definitely in my TOP 5 ALL TIME old school kung fu flicks (neck & neck with "Dance of the Drunk Mantis").
    The joint that made Jackie a star and the one that solidified Yuen Wo-Ping's career.
    The movie is essentially the blueprint for literally 100's of imitators that would follow...
    ...youthful kid learns esoteric kung fu style under the tutelage of an old master (in this case, Yuen Wo-Ping's father Simon Yuen who went on to perfect the "Sam Seed" character in dozens of other copycats flicks). Great choice.

I'm assumng you have an old bootleg?
    Celestial just recently released a gorgeous looking (and legitimate) DVD. You can cop it for under $15. online. But depending on how much of a stickler you are about these things, I'd suggest getting the vcd instead, since Celestial (the company who owns the rights for releasing all Shaw Bros. films on DVD) went ahead and added or "enhanced" all sorts of extra music and sound effects to the film as a way of marketing to the fickle, 5.1 surround-loving youth market in HK - who presumedly won't watch a movie if it was originally shot in Mono.
    Personally I think they've ruined some of these films (they've done the "enhancements" to some of the DVDs, not all) and so I just get the vcds whenever warranted.

Also, check for "New Tales of the Flying Fox" - another Shaw flick also out courtesy of Celestial (I've posted pics of this one as well).
    It's based on the same book as "Legend" but was made a few years later and boasts much faster moving fights.

(plus Hui Ying Hung is in it)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah one of my favourite Chan films as well. Also features one of my favourites Jang Lee Hwang as the villain - worth checking out his film Hitman In The Hand Of Bhudda which features some truly stunning leg work.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Since we've done this post a few times over already, I won't get into things. Just than I spent a better part of the 80's & 90's searching out flicks. Tho most we're boots...

I've posted this before, but it's good to have bookmarked. Trailers to alot of films.

http://www.shaolinchamber.com/trailerschamber.html

Anyways...

Toronto people who are into Fu flix

Nov. 11th

Mad Mad Kung Fu aKa DIRTY OLD KUNG FU is playing!

And one that I will be at for sure... I've seen the movie a million times. But never on the big screen...

Nov. 25th

The Kid With The Golden Arm!!!

I'll probably be going with my gurl, but anyone that wants to come out let me know!

• Sifu Paul your skill is impressive. I'm gonna have to dig for a few of those Shaw flicks I don't have.

• That girl is beautiful. Was she the one on DYNASTY OF BLOOD?

Haha. After a while of loading some of the pics on 56k it is too much for it and just stops loading pics. FUCK.

• The best I've seen. With some of these you gotta make sure you get the letterboxed versions.

• When I went to Hong Kong a few years ago, I just missed out on going to dim sum with Shek Kin.

And I trained with Lam Chun Fai who appears in the opening of the movie Budo Wing. I know all those forms he does in this clip, too but could never do them anywhere near as well as him: http://www.siulam.info/charris/films/lcfsets1.WMV

• Thanks For The Links!

I'm not on the studio carpet level, but I was suprised not to have seen any Kung Fu Mentioned on soul strut. I knew there had to be some head on here.

• That girl is beautiful. Was she the one on DYNASTY OF BLOOD?

Ah, Hui Ying-Hung. A dime among nickels.
    Ying-Hung was not in Dynasty of Blood (aka Blood Brothers).
    You're probably thinking of Ching Li - another beauty no doubt. But she's no Hui Ying-Hung.
    Ying-Hung is best known for her roles in Liu Chia Liang's classics (8 Diagram Pole Fighter, My Young Auntie, etc.).
    If you don't know, Sifu Liu Chia Liang ("Pops") is widely considered to be THE greatest director of kung fu films, period.
    He's the man. And for a while, Hui Ying-Hung was his woman. Or his mistress anyway.
    Once that fizzled out, she apparently became hard up for cash and posed for the HK version of Playboy.
    OG copies of that particular issue is the among kung fu collectors.

Here's a peek...

• damn paul, you pretty much covered all the greats .. i also like early woo (john, not tang) films.

and i can't forget the samurai films .. particularly the lone wolf series ..

• So, like, who came first.... this dude....

or THIS dude?

Real headz want to know the deal.

Damn she fine. DAMN she fine. I ain't sayin' I'd suck her daddy's d**k, but I would drink her bathwater (yum).

• It figures my first little dude post on here would be about Kung- Fu flicks.

Here's my little list of ones to check out...

THE VICTIM

(Sammo Hung's early masterwork. PRODIGAL SON is good, too.)

BRUCE, D-DAY AT MACAU aka KUNG FU SUPERMAN

(Ocean Shores Taiwanese joint featuring the dude who went on to play the villain in Kung Fu Hustle. Many, many fools get kicked in the head in this piece.)

TAOISM DRUNKARD ( "Raised, most likely, in extreme poverty, paid little for their bone-breaking work as stuntmen, they took the opportunities provided by directing jobs to assemble demonic displays of hair-raising bric-a-brac into motion pictures powered by the surreal." That just about sums it up. )

THE BUTTERFLY MURDERS

WE ARE GOING TO EAT YOU

BURNING PARADISE

THE BLADE

(Early and late efforts by the incredible and incredibly ignored Tsui Hark)

There's a lot more, but, yeah...this is a deep wellspring.

PS: What movie is that with the dude rocking the Gene Simmons makeup?!? I gotta get that!

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    shaw brothers aren't really my thing, i pretty much watch anything coreographed by yuen woo ping. recommend dreadnaught & knockabout.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/knockabout.htm

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/dreadnought.htm

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So, like, who came first.... this dude....

or THIS dude?

Real headz want to know the deal.

Kiss came first.
    'Bat without Wings' is from like '82 or so...so just about the time Kiss was unmasking, Shaw Bros were capitilizing on it.
    That's a nice, crazy Shaw Bros flick by the way....wayyy out.

Has anyone mentioned the Buddah's Palm[/b]?

(I haven't read the whole thread), but that flick is off the hinges, almost as nuts, no MORE nuts that Holy Flame of the Martial World[/b].

And can anyone get me a copy of Boxer's Omen[/b]?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Hit me on the PM

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Hit me on the PM

Chan, you got the Lone Wolf and Cub TV series? I found one guy with it but he won't trade and is trying to charge me too much. I want the first three seasons. Let me know and we can work it out. Oh ya, I need English sub's. lol. I better throw that out there now

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Hit me on the PM

Chan, you got the Lone Wolf and Cub TV series? I found one guy with it but he won't trade and is trying to charge me too much. I want the first three seasons. Let me know and we can work it out. Oh ya, I need English sub's. lol. I better throw that out there now

Something I would be interested in also...

I really wish I never sold the laserdisc's for the flicks. I don't even care that I don't have a player anymore. Just would like to have those disks again.