Did I offend you?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So, what is Poehaa doing on the SoulStrut board?I fell in love with this music when I was five years old and I heard 'Last night' by the Markeys. So you have to understand that my love for this music is not a pose, it's not a style, it's not a way to belong to some hip group. I really think it's the most enjoyable music there is, and that's not a neutral disposition! I want other people to enjoy the sounds of funk, soul, jazz, R'n'B. So that's why I've been organising concerts, parties and radio shows for years, to bring people in contact with this music: a lot of people in the Netherlands have simply never heard of funk, and have a rather negative image of hip hop. But if you go out there and play some records for them, a lot of people will enjoy it. Yes, I am a missionary, but I try not to be to intimidating.And, if you love this music, and you are in any way working with it, you should be knowlegdable. Read 'Blues people', 'Just my soul responding' or 'A change is gonna come', WaxPoetics and the SoulStrut board, because there is a lot of knowledge here!And the whole act around it: I think it unnecesseraly ups the threshold for people to enjoy this music, so I simply try not to partake in it. If that offends you, so be it.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    BAN

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BAN

"It's not who you are, but the music you own is what defines you!"

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Yes, I am a missionary, but I try not to be to intimidating

What's with newbies making their intro to soulstrut a sincerity contest? I won't like you any more even if you bought your first 45 while you were chilling with Lil' Markie as a foetus.

• YOU BETTER GET IT TOGETHER
    OR LEAVE IT ALONE

GET UP OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE BOY
    THINK WHAT YOU'RE DOIN', DOIN'
    GET UP OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE BOY
    THINK WHAT YOU'RE DOIN' DOIN'

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And, if you love this music, and you are in any way working with it, you should be knowlegdable. Read 'Blues people', 'Just my soul responding' or 'A change is gonna come', WaxPoetics and the SoulStrut board, because there is a lot of knowledge here!

And the whole act around it: I think it unnecesseraly ups the threshold for people to enjoy this music, so I simply try not to partake in it. If that offends you, so be it.

Jeezus, dude.

What is wrong with you people?

Either contribute or don't--no need to lay your damn manifesto on us.

• give the guy a break - they sell strong weed in amsterdam, that's a pretty normal conversation with a dutch person

• I'm dutch.

;-)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude, Im so fucking offended.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    a lot of people in the Netherlands have simply never heard of funk

c'mon dude, you know thats not true.

• Dude, Im so fucking offended.

Rumble?

• I'm dutch.
    ;-)

word of advice - don't get involved in the nike debate at weekend finds

• I fell in love with this music when I was five years old and I heard 'Last night' by the Markeys.
    This is dope.

• I fell in love with this music when I was five years old and I heard 'Last night' by the Markeys.
    This is

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    What's wrong with a new member explaining that he didn't caught the record bug through lurking this board and that he isn't a mp3 collector but is promoting the music he loves in the real world?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I think I need a new pair of glasses. I'm glad it wasn't titties.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what the hell is up with all these corny threads lately

I don't know, but I think soulstrut needs more lil' markie.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Dudes are padding their post count, trying to get to 200...

I'll pad your post count if you don't call me sometime soon!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm Jay, I make up the trey
    Now check out the dance that I display
    It's called the pause
    A new thing, on the dancefloor
    First you move, then you stop
    Combine the hustle, foxtrot, pop and lock
    Put em all together why because
    It's called the pause

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Your phone is always busy!

Happy New Year, BTW

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• what the hell is up with all these corny threads lately

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm sorry guys. I felt I had to make myself clear because I've been posting on SoulStrut irregularly, for years, even before Poehaa, and never experienced such hostility as On The Red Clay showed towards me the last week. I have absolutely no feelings of superiority, I guess I was overreacting because of the way some posters were trying to humiliate me. I find it unnecessary: it got me wounded up and maybe I shouldn't have reacted like this. All I want to make clear is that I have a lot of love for this music and a lot of respect for everyone contributing, and that's why I rate this board on the same level as my favorite books and zines.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm sorry guys. I felt I had to make myself clear because I've been posting on SoulStrut irregularly, for years, even before Poehaa, and never experienced such hostility as On The Red Clay showed towards me the last week. I have absolutely no feelings of superiority, I guess I was overreacting because of the way some posters were trying to humiliate me. I find it unnecessary: it got me wounded up and maybe I shouldn't have reacted like this. All I want to make clear is that I have a lot of love for this music and a lot of respect for everyone contributing, and that's why I rate this board on the same level as my favorite books and zines.

My god. I didnt think it was possible for me to be more offended. But there you go again!

• it got me wounded up