Records and your significant other

oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
I was wondering how those of you who are married or living with someone deal with your collections? Space is an issue, because we have 3 children between the 2 of us. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey ONS,

I acknowledge my wife's occasional riffin' about the sheer volume of my LP collection. She realizes that collecting is a big part of my life and that this came with the package when she married me. Plus, I'm fortunate that my wife loves music as well. Although the space issue gets on her nerves at times, she respects my interest(s), and that's LOVE!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I have my own room, but then again I don't have three kids. Mini-storage??? Ouch, that would suck.

Be firm though, don't let it happen. respect to you.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Big prob for me right now, because at some point my boy is gonna have to take over the room that the majority of my records are housed in. It's either unload a large amount of these vinyls or move to a bigger house. Please believe me, I do NOT want to go through moving with all these records again!
    It's amazing how a house can shrink the longer you live in it, especially if you skeet out a few offspring along the way... this place was frighteningly huge when we bought it eight years ago, now it feels like a doll house.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    My lp's are currently housed in a walk in closet with sampler, record player and computer chilling in a corner of the living room. I'd hate to lose these outlets for the sake of space though. Provided I don't have any kids, I'd still make a lot of effort to get either 1. a basement 2. a separate room 3. an office outside of the home before I contemplate giving up my joints. Then again though, I'm not rollin' with a huge collection these days either... 1200 lps and singles are not that big of deal when it comes to space.

• All great answers. On the whole, she's pretty understanding and the girls know that this is what Daddy does and he need his space. But I'm not with the mini storage. Although a 200 GB hardrive could take care of a lot of the surface shit and free up cash at the same time.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    YES!!! Breaks...sample them and move 'em on out. They're taking up space. Just keep things you like to listen to. That should help you reduce you collection. Get on that ebay grind...make some loot in the process.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    YES!!! Breaks...sample them and move 'em on out. They're taking up space. Just keep things you like to listen to. That should help you reduce you collection. Get on that ebay grind...make some loot in the process.

cosign. trimming the fat off a big collection can be seriously liberating.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    trimming the fat off a big collection can be seriously liberating.

I just did this, and i seriously recommend it. So much shit was just being hoarded for a semi-decent break or sample. Off to sea with them.

- J

• I was wondering how those of you who are married or living with someone deal with your collections?

Man, whatever you do, never try to justify your collection by making reference to the amount of clothes or shoes she has. Big mistake, cost me a week of bullshit. Seems they're the same thing to me, but not to her. She was waaaayyyyy more serious about shoes than I'll ever be about records.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My wife is super cool about the amount of records, I have kinda commandeered our attic space as my office/den, and she has the spare bedroom for all her old computer gear/office. The problem will come when we have kids. That will be an adjustment.

Any arguments we may have that involve records at all, really are more about money and time issues.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

cosign. trimming the fat off a big collection can be seriously liberating.

I've also heard that buying records, sampling and returning them works pretty well, too.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    especially if you skeet out a few offspring along the way...

Child birth has never been put in such an eloquent manner.

• Options
    "You've Got Cash" tends to soothe any issues we have.

K.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm pretty lucky to have a wife with a vision... She found a dilipidated diamond in the rough -- a 3 floor -- 8 bedroom Victorian that looked like a frat house inside. She bribed me to invest my time and energy into it by forking over two rooms... One of which nicely house my stash with room to grow... the other of which I'm converting into a music room (always wanted a drum set)

My advice is adapt to your environment. I used to live in a 600 square foot condo before and could only house about 1000 records... so a lot went in and out. If you have dreams of a full fledged record library I suggest buying a bigger place... even if it's a fixer-upper. And there's always storage units.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    My wife is super cool about the amount of records, I have kinda commandeered our attic space as my office/den, and she has the spare bedroom for all her old computer gear/office. The problem will come when we have kids. That will be an adjustment.

Any arguments we may have that involve records at all, really are more about money and time issues.

This is similar to my situation. My girlfriend is great about it. I have my own room, but it's still not enough for the Rhodes, 2 guitar amps, or any room to exapnd record-wise. We're looking for a bigger place. Living in or around NY is fucked if you want to have 1,000 sq ft for records, as I'm sure you know.

I think space-saving ideas/designs can go a long way in city living situations. I also see no point in a storage unit, because I like to sit up in the middle of the night and fuck with records, which wouldn't work well if I had to make trips to U-Store-It. But at some point, you've maximized all your room, and the kids are growing, and it's time to sit down and talk. Good luck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    only when its moving time does it become an issue. having to pass up otherwise decent places because there's not enough room for the records causes tension. having to make numerous trips moving crate after crate after crate definitely causes tension. no one is happy when a half-day move turns into a full day move thanks to four recycling boxes full of 78s.

he saw all my records before we moved in together, so he knew what he was getting into.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

she saw all my records before we moved in together, so he knew what he was getting into.

Yup.

• I have my own room for all of that stuff so HJ has no problem with it.

If space was limited I guess it would probably be an issue, but so far she is cool.

Also I like to play rackords for her, and she enjoys them.

Since you are running out of space though.... I highly recomend donating your raers to the west coast Gary, Gary.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I don't live with my girlfriend, but she has a thousand or so records of her own.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I also see no point in a storage unit, because I like to sit up in the middle of the night and fuck with records, which wouldn't work well if I had to make trips to U-Store-It.

I felt the same about a storage unit. But space restrictions forced me and I like it. I keep my essential records at home. My storage unit has most of my play out 12 About 500. And about 2000 other misc. When digging is dry, I grab a few crates and it???s like some kind of score.

I might get a larger unit and put all of my records in there. Grab new box every few weeks.

One time I lived in Germany for a year and could only bring about 30 records. It was fun.

I pretty much agree with the Mrs. regarding excessive records because we both live very minimally with the exception of my records. I hate having stuff. Besides about 10,000 rackords?!? I consider the digging/collecting experience educational. One day I will get rid of them.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    One day I will get rid of them.

Just call my name, I'll be there.

And Fr**k's essential records add up to quite a few.

• This isn't a space-related anecdote, but it does have to do with records and your significant other. I don't have problems because my girl collects, but a funny thing happened when I visited a friend whose wife doesn't. I was pouring through his collection and found a copy of Mel Torm??'s Comin' Home Baby (real headz know the deal). It had no price on it, but it did have a post-it note stuck on the cover saying "Mono" that I recognized from seeing it at a local store. I remembered how pricey it was and I blurted out, "Hey Phil! You paid thirty bucks for this Comin' Home Baby?" Right away I noticed this glance back and forth between him and his wife. Phil replied, "No. It was only ten." Phil was bullshittin', but I obviously didn't push it.

• hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "You've Got Cash" tends to soothe any issues we have.

K.

yes it does!

For me it used to be more of a time issue rather than a space issue. Like, "do we really need to spend the WHOLE WEEKEND looking for records?!?!?! Can't we just be like NORMAL PEOPLE?!?!?!"

co-hahahahaha!!!

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

she[/b] saw all my records before we moved in together, so he[/b] knew what he was getting into.

AYO.

• Big prob for me right now, because at some point my boy is gonna have to take over the room that the majority of my records are housed in. It's either unload a large amount of these vinyls or move to a bigger house. Please believe me, I do NOT want to go through moving with all these records again!
    It's amazing how a house can shrink the longer you live in it, especially if you skeet out a few offspring along the way... this place was frighteningly huge when we bought it eight years ago, now it feels like a doll house.

Why don't you unload some of your records in order to move...ie, sell 15-20K worth, which I'm sure would just make a small dent, buy a bigger house. Not only will you have more room for your son, you'll have more room for your records (albeit less records), not to mention that all important equity.

she[/b] saw all my records before we moved in together, so he[/b] knew what he was getting into.

AYO.

thank you. "headz" were sleeping...

• The way we solved it is we have a 2 1/2 bedroom place... she got the half room (a windowed-in "florida room" in front) and I got the spare bedroom. We keep out of each others hair and my room still looks like a batchelor pad.

She makes more $ than I do, so as long as I'm not mooching off her or using the living room for storage space she's cool.

The buying/selling cycle tends to keep the spending in line, even with the occaisionally free-jazz balling (free-balling???). And I pick her up any curtis mayfield and nina simone she doesn't have.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I remembered how pricey it was and I blurted out, "Hey Phil! You paid thirty bucks for this Comin' Home Baby?" Right away I noticed this glance back and forth between him and his wife. Phil replied, "No. It was only ten." Phil was bullshittin', but I obviously didn't push it.

This reminds me of how I came to know a couple from Soulstrut. It went like this:
    (All names have been changed, 'cause I don't want to damage any baller-like status.)

Aspiring[/b]: "Man, fo_chillz just won that Baby Huey on the bay. $70 is a good price, too."

fo_chillz[/b]: "Thanks, but you know some of us have significant others on the board who may not be aware of what a piece like that costs."

Aspiring[/b]: "Shit, that dude wants $10 in shipping, but $80 is still fair."

fo_chillz[/b]: "Dude, like I said, some of us have significant others who post here and may happen to see this thread."

Aspiring[/b]: "Sorry for blowing up your spot."

Cosythreads[/b]: "You spent $80 on a fucking record, but you told me all we could afford to eat last night was Top Ramen, fucker!"

fo_chillz[/b]: "Can this wait until we get home?"