Montreal/Canadian Jazz

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
There is a slew of quality shit from canada. But they seem to go under the radar. And with the american heavyweights catalogue I can understand however... dont sleep!The cbc jazz series is always on point they recently released a great reissue album.So hook up some suggestions or floss canadian heatMichel Donato (bassist)I was working on my photo exposition when the tech guy was playing some jazz out of an old school tape deck (could not be called a stereo) and it was just I check the tape and its michel donatoCouple weeks later i see this and pick it upDamn!!!Just saw the man in concert recently...Sad story though as he suffered a head injury and lost his left side controlHad to relearn everything and now only plays up the bassOscar Peterson/Mtl Jazz Fest/Nick Ayroub Quartet post more

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    img src="

The cbc jazz series is always on point they recently released a great reissue album.

So hook up some suggestions or floss canadian heat

For those looking for this stuff and aren't aware of the compilation released through John Kong's Do Right Music label -

http://www.dorightmusic.com/releases/release_pages/release_ready.htm

http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_05.12.05/beat/sample.html

[img]http://www.boomkat.com/media/image/ReadyOrNot-CBCRadio.jpg" alt="" />

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Stop the shusshing

Canadian jazz guitarist Doc Dosco moved to Los Angeles from Canada in the late 1970s. Soon after he began playing gigs and doing studio work. With long time friend and producer Esmond Edwards, (George Benson, Kenny Burrell, B.B. King) Doc has played on recordings with jazz greats such as Blue Mitchell, Eddie Harris, Gene Harris, Red Halloway, Cedar Walton, Harold Land, Paulinho Da Costa and he has shared the stage with many others. He has had his jazz tunes recorded by Blue Mitchell, Eddie Harris and Herman Riley

And here's the donato album...worth picking up

• Oh that's not nice.
    I was so dissapointed by that album. Well you know my expectations were really high because of that other one.

What's the title of that Donato album, I can't read it. Was it a candian released album? It's not in the canadian jazz discography... which isn't totally accurate, but for a big player like that I'd think it would be in there.

A lot of big european/US players released a canadian-only album or two. But my faves are the genuine canadian players. Brian barley, ted moses, leduc, etc.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Hehe, I think that's the third time ****** has tried to sell that.

• Whoa, I've never seen that stock cover design with multiple colors, only orange. "
    Now it's "taste the rainbow"??

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    That`s gangster!

www.justin-time.com/works/JAM_9150-2/
    Here is more info on the Donato album Jazz en liberte Montreal 1969 (free jazz mtl 1969)
    Justin time is a internationally distributed label however this looks like somewhat of a reissue which would explain it not being registered...

Montreal jazz radio is actually a strong staple for this city. Id love to volunteer in one of them and get acces to the richness

Some of my favourite peterson, he just got honored by the canadian goverment after his passing...
    Aight now was there anything else released by the Nick Ayroub quintet...(best album upload discovery IMHO)

Three things:

One: you will find no riches in any Montreal radio station, jazz or otherwise;

Two: Oscar Peterson is still among the living;

Three: Nick Ayoub features on many other releases, among them a lot of crap. With "The Montreal Scene", his best work is his CBC LP, which usually sells for less than $100US.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Three things:

One: you will find no riches in any Montreal radio station, jazz or otherwise;

Two: Oscar Peterson is still among the living;

Three: Nick Ayoub features on many other releases, among them a lot of crap. With "The Montreal Scene", his best work is his CBC LP, which usually sells for less than $100US.

Four: plaese to send me Ted Moses rackords Danno.

That`s gangster!

What's really gangster is the Blacks Dictionary visible in the locus in quo.

• Options
    There's a 4 song CBC ep 45 that has 2 dope tunes on it.

Oscar didn't look dead when I saw him in a limo last month unless the tourist board is running Weekend With Oscar tours. Where do you get your info?

K.

I have 12 of these. Anybody want one? I think it sucks and if you pay for postage I'll send it your way.

• Options
    I'll take all 12 off you if they're the same one I have. I know there's more than one.

K.

• There's a 4 song CBC ep 45 that has 2 dope tunes on it.

I have 12 of these. Anybody want one? I think it sucks and if you pay for postage I'll send it your way.

"WANT 13?"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Horrible mistake on the Death thing guys
    However thanks for the answers to some questions. Ill still tryout for radio but probably CKUT. I checked them out today and they roll deep.

I had my mind mixed up with the great Charlie Biddle, and then seeing that gov of canada honour when looking for a cbc pick got my mind all twisted pretty horrible

RIP
    Can`t stress his contribution to canadian and jazz in general when his 3-day ``le jazz chez nous`` festival turned into The Mtl Jazz Fest we now know. His promoting work has brought a lot of legends to canada as well.
    Any good LP`s from Mtl Jazz fest performances? Or USA/Canada collabos

Now, looking back at charlie`s catalogue I remembered a name not mentioned here another great...

Oliver Jones

This recent release is great

Once again sorry for the horrible mistake and thx for the particip to the thread

"WANT 13?"

Zing!

Sorry K, apparently people are more interested in the EP than I thought; I already have people ligned for each copy. Andre* even offered me a nickel a pop. Dude is a generous, for sure.

Horrible mistake on the Death thing guys
    However thanks for the answers to some questions. Ill still tryout for radio but probably CKUT. I checked them out today and they roll deep.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "roll deep", but I can assure you that there are no records of note available in the CKUT library. Also, the station's jazz expertise is limited to two or three programmers, none of whom you'll likely ever meet.

• Options
    Liar.

K.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Just meant they have a nice selection and interesting individuals programming for them. An accessible music library with that much history is interesting for music listening.Its a bonus source for sure... i wasnt record hunting...

How do you know about CKUT?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Just meant they have a nice selection and interesting individuals programming for them. An accessible music library with that much history is interesting for music listening.Its a bonus source for sure... i wasnt record hunting...

Check out waxingdeep.org

I'm in montreal. Do I know you?

• Options
    How many years were you there for, Danno? How do you like the CHSR library?

K.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    How do you know ckut?

Just checked the music section
    This is more mysterious

How do I know about CKUT? I spent five years there as a programmer and a member of various committees. There music library has very little vinyl that dates before 1981. While there are some very talented and knowledgeable programmers, they are exceedingly few and rarely have anything to do with new volunteers.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    There are some good Canadian jazz albums.

There are some good Canadian jazz albums.

Liar.

BAN!