numark makes crappy turntables?

drumsdrums 83 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i have some serious staticproblems with my numark player. first i thought it was something wrong with the mixer i've been using, but then i talked with some friends who also own numark players and they have had the same exact problem! what's up with this? am i crazy or does numark actually make crappy turntables? it's not a big problem when you just listen to some music, but if you wanna samples some shit it bugs me just to know there might be some almost-hearable-noise somewhere in the beat.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't really understand what the problem is... but is your table properly grounded man??? If not you'd definitely have a little hum or buzz (or a LOT)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    a long time ago i djed a night that had numark sponsorship. all this digital shit and extra features for free. i was like shit yeah. in the middle of my set the jawn just died. completely died. no reason. they are crap.

• they are crap.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    am i crazy or does numark actually make crappy turntables?
    No, you're right. They're mixers will last 1 month, max.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    it is grounded properly.

since some of you agree with me that they are crappy i guess imma have to upgrade.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    i have some serious staticproblems with my numark player. first i thought it was something wrong with the mixer i've been using, but then i talked with some friends who also own numark players and they have had the same exact problem! what's up with this? am i crazy or does numark actually make crappy turntables? it's not a big problem when you just listen to some music, but if you wanna samples some shit it bugs me just to know there might be some almost-hearable-noise somewhere in the beat.

Found this out the hardway too, but you may want to check your mixer. I bought a mixer once and the shit (literally) was giving me extra noise I did not want. As far as the turntables... c'mon - don't sweat the technic

You can cop one used for 2-3 bills...

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    i'm pretty sure it's not the mixer but as soon as my pockets get a little bit fuller imma buy a used technicsplayer. thanks all of you for confirming this issue.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    confirming

has anyone that's posted in this thread owned the turntable that this tread is about?

dudes got static problems, more likely global warming than the brand of turntable imo.

• Well, numark is not top of the line, but I wouldn't say they're crap. I'd save that description for Gemini.

What model numark are you using? Is it one of the ones that has detachable tonearms? Did you check the connection between the headshell and tonearm? Sometimes you just need to clean the connectors on the headshell/tonearm. If you have detachable tonearms, you might need to replace that. static can come from all kinds of sources, including your vinyl that has static buildup.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    i'm not at home right now and i don't know the modelname in my head. but that tonearm tip was good. i'm gonna try that as soon as i get home. thanks.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Well they are not top of the line. however their CD/Turntable jawn is pretty dope... Much better than the Technics version...

• I have Numark TTX1 turntables and they have been perfect in the years i've had them... still performing well to this day, i recommend them fully...
    Their mixers eat a dick though... you'll need a new fader after about 3 days...

• i'm having trouble with the portable numark one right now. in my mobile studio setup it's the only record player i have, but it doesn't seem to run at a fixed speed - i'm getting the slight vibrato effect on all long tones. which sucks for sampling of course. and it skips quite easily too... anyone share similar experiences?

thanks!

• i'm having trouble with the portable numark one right now. in my mobile studio setup it's the only record player i have, but it doesn't seem to run at a fixed speed - i'm getting the slight vibrato effect on all long tones. which sucks for sampling of course. and it skips quite easily too... anyone share similar experiences?

thanks!

Are you talking about the PT01? I heard that kind of wow and flutter when I tried it out - methinks it's those felt pads that are around the platter and they slow the rotation of the record off and on

• Well they are not top of the line. however their CD/Turntable jawn is pretty dope... Much better than the Technics version...

You, you talking about this joint?

Numark CDX CD Player with Vinyl Scratch

That jont is dope as shit. I fuxed with it at Guitar Center one day for half an hour. I was messing with that, the Pioneer CDJ1000, the Technics SLDZ1200 and the Pioneer CD/DVD turntable and next to the Pioneer CDJ1000 I like the Numark. In fact I would probably buy the Numark before I did a CDJ because the feel of it was a lot like I turntable and the sound when cutting was on point. It wasn't all digital sounding like with the Technics. Now as far as the technics goes I don't know if they have an upgrade to it now but when I was using it at GC it had this digital sound to it when cutting. But back to the Numark, I haven't done any real research into it yet because I don't have the loot for one but if I did I would seriously think about getting it over the CDJ and more than likely would.

Does anyone on here have the Numark CD TT?

• the portable is top notch quality. peace, stein. . .

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Well they are not top of the line. however their CD/Turntable jawn is pretty dope... Much better than the Technics version...

You, you talking about this joint?

Numark CDX CD Player with Vinyl Scratch

That jont is dope as shit. I fuxed with it at Guitar Center one day for half an hour. I was messing with that, the Pioneer CDJ1000, the Technics SLDZ1200 and the Pioneer CD/DVD turntable and next to the Pioneer CDJ1000 I like the Numark. In fact I would probably buy the Numark before I did a CDJ because the feel of it was a lot like I turntable and the sound when cutting was on point. It wasn't all digital sounding like with the Technics. Now as far as the technics goes I don't know if they have an upgrade to it now but when I was using it at GC it had this digital sound to it when cutting. But back to the Numark, I haven't done any real research into it yet because I don't have the loot for one but if I did I would seriously think about getting it over the CDJ and more than likely would.

Does anyone on here have the Numark CD TT?

these are by far the best cd decks........But they still break easy. The game is over on those though. get serato.

• these are by far the best cd decks........But they still break easy. The game is over on those though. get serato.

Yeah I want Serato but I need to get a laptop first. But if I could get one of those numark's off the back of truck type deal then I am going to do that...:)

• these are by far the best cd decks........But they still break easy. The game is over on those though. get serato.

Yeah I want Serato but I need to get a laptop first. But if I could get one of those numark's off the back of truck type deal then I am going to do that...:)

Yeah, they are the shit, but I've heard they don't hold up well in a mobile situation. I'd recommend them for a studio situation for that, and also they have MIDI on the back! But the new shit are these:

numark HDX

this guy has a 80 gig hard drive built in.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

these are by far the best cd decks........But they still break easy. The game is over on those though. get serato.

Yeah, they are the shit, but I've heard they don't hold up well in a mobile situation. I'd recommend them for a studio situation for that, and also they have MIDI on the back! But the new shit are these:

numark HDX

this guy has a 80 gig hard drive built in.

get serato.

these shits cost as much as a laptop.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Numark, Vestax, Stanton, Gemini, they are all compared to Technic. Always go with Technic. I used to sell DJ equipment and all of these suspect turntables came back with problems sooner or later. I mean just look at them, they're plastic. Technics are tanks.

• I mean just look at them, they're plastic. Technics are tanks.
    Numark TTX1's are MUCH more solid and heavy than the Technics...

• I mean just look at them, they're plastic. Technics are tanks.
    Numark TTX1's are MUCH more solid and heavy than the Technics...

I wouldn't say they're more solid, but they do have a ridiculous amount of torque and an amazingly sturdy feel.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well let me tell you about the TTX turntables. I used to sell them and I'v ehad customers come back with complaints that the turntable stopped working during a set. Something went wrong with the digital components or something. Now for a turntable to have a risk like that gets a huge thumbs down. Technics, well I've never heard of anything happening like that.

• I've had good luck with the mixers (or at least the one I used to have, years ago),
    But the turntables are weak...

They just replaced the the 1200's at the radio station with 2 numarks,
    I'm afraid to put my Rec's on them...

Cheap ass feeling tonearm, and they are the expensive ones