Does Your Girl (Or Guy) Go Digging With You?

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
unless im going on some excavation type shit with the hommays, she usually comes along, but i think shes in it for the blunts.HBU?

Comments

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Only sometimes since her schedule is way crazy. She professes to want to join me. Her musical taste is much different than mine, so I can't really cop records for her. But yeah... not so much.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    no.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    no.

and i like it that way.

• yep, she is the record holder/counter

• Sometimes she does and she is way more patient shopping with me then I am with her, but I try not to take to long. When I listen to shit she is good about telling me when something is crap. So she helps me avoid buying a lot of crap. She doesn???t come if I go out and hit a bunch of spots, but if we see a thrift she will stop in with me and check it out.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    She used to, but not anymore since our son was born. I try to keep him and his mother "germen free"

• Usually we just separate for an hour or two. She will go shopping for shoes and books. I make sure I reserve some time to peel off the price stickers (and she does too). I love it how she is all concerned whether I scored. She's so suportive about that, I exedingly feel like a pathetic hobby nerd. She lets me talk on and on about the stuff I found and all the ins and outs of record collecting/dealing and now I think she just likes to see me talk, regardless of what's it about. I can tell her the same lame story again and again.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    no. her dad was addicted to buying records, so she hates record stores. i go shopping with her, but she hardly ever goes with me...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Girl?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Usually we just separate for an hour or two. She will go shopping for shoes and books. I make sure I reserve some time to peel off the price stickers (and she does too). I love it how she is all concerned whether I scored. She's so suportive about that, I exedingly feel like a pathetic hobby nerd. She lets me talk on and on about the stuff I found and all the ins and outs of record collecting/dealing and now I think she just likes to see me talk, regardless of what's it about. I can tell her the same lame story again and again.

you're lucky. my girl would tell me to shut up!

peeling off price stickers can save your day or life!

• i had a gf one time who was all into hiphop and "loved" records, and wanted turntables, wanted to be a dj etc. she would go diggin with me and i would find good shit that i didnt need so i would throw it her way. she ended up amassing about 3 crates of pretty decent stuff, even 1 or 2 records i wanted off of her. when she would go diggin with me, she would get bored easily after half an hour

we're been broken up 3 years now and i seriously doubt she has gone diggin once since then.

the next girl i dated, we were in vegas and she went with me to a shop and waited very patiently while i dug around for what was probably a good hour. she dont talk to me no more and i havent taken a girl with me diggin since. i dont know of many guys who can hang on a 8+hour diggin mission, let alone a girl who could. i imagine a few from this board would be up for it though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Only sometimes since her schedule is way crazy. She professes to want to join me. Her musical taste is much different than mine, so I can't really cop records for her. But yeah... not so much.

my last girl and I had identical tastes (birthday present one year = hella meters vinyl) so she'd come with occasionally and cop shit for herself.

I don't bring the current ladyfriend. not her thing.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    She's ok as long as I'm upfront about it. What brings out the she-hulk is when I'm in the "I'll only be five minutes, why don't you hang around" denial digging mode.

She's ok as long as I'm upfront about it. What brings out the she-hulk is when I'm in the "I'll only be five minutes, why don't you hang around" denial digging mode.

um you never been dragged into a shoe store have you.

all the time! makes me very happy: she digs a lot of soul and gospel, and she's a fantastic dancer! - i'm just lucky i guess

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

we're been broken up 3 years now and i seriously doubt she has gone diggin once since then.

That's what we would like to believe. That their lives are over when we break up. Trust me, she gots more raers than you by now.

• There's one shop in Amsterdam run by a guy who is so entertaining, he'll just keeps her busy playing folk records and talks about Russian literature or his innermost feelings and I can dig away and after a while they get so cosey I'm like "hm honey isn't it time to go?" One time while there my girl said to me: "Hey, isn't this record something for you?" holding up some salsa record with a nice cover and I'm replying: "Nah, it's nothing" and the owner starts: "Jeeez, you should get your act together! Buy that fucking record for her, you nerd". I keep learning. That shop is way more than a record shop, it's like the school of life.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

um you never been dragged into a shoe store have you.

One rule for records, another rule for shoes.......

Pointing this out to her has never ever proved to be a good move.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    She sits in the corner and reads the book she just bought from the store we spent 30 minutes at before...
    So its all good. I tell her to go buy more books when it comes to paying for the stack though

Ah shit, I just gotta thing for this kinda symbiosis
    You gotta love you a

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    and talks about Russian literature or his innermost feelings

That dude knows what he's doing, not only that, he keeps your money too. Time to look for another store

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    all the time! makes me very happy: she digs a lot of soul and gospel, and she's a fantastic dancer! - i'm just lucky i guess

thats a wonderful thing!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    my girl loves records but isn't in it for the 3+ dig outs i do to spots. she likes hitting up book stores and other spots nearby when i'm diggin. she is super sweet about asking me if i found any joints or if i'm having fun...i end up feelin dorky as hell. i like hittin fleas with her but i know my time is super limited. so i often go out diggin' on my own. on a side note...does your girl/boy buy you records as gifts? my girl a couple years ago for christmas got me an og copy of coffy cause she heard me mention it 1,000,000 times and when she gave it to me i almost died. not for sale promo copy...nm-! my girl is the shit.

• Flea Markets are a good compromise for me. I'm in it for the records and she's there for the furniture and clothes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it???s easiest to go alone ??? even when I go with other music fans, there???s the concern that they???ll be done looking and might get bored. i do like going with people now and then and it's fun, but i do see record shopping as a lone activity - i never went with anyone else for years, it's habit now to do it by myself.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    it???s easiest to go alone ??? even when I go with other music fans, there???s the concern that they???ll be done looking and might get bored. i do like going with people now and then and it's fun, but i do see record shopping as a lone activity - i never went with anyone else for years, it's habit now to do it by myself.

cosign.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    My wife's real nice about finding records in stores that I wouldn't expect. She's semi-down for looking at records with me, but gets antsy after a half-hour or so. If it's any longer than that I usually have her pick out a cd for me to buy for her.

• My girl goes to the fleas and yard sales with me but usually not on house calls unless there's furniture involved.
    An ex-girlfiend once saved me from walking away from what turned out to be one of my best scores ever. It was in an "antique mall" near Raleigh, NC. There were two guys there with LOTS of records but unfortunately after two hours of looking I determined that they were all crap and decided I'd made my girlfriend suffer enough.
    "Let's go" I said.
    She then replied that she'd seen one other guy in the corner of the mall with some records and that I should go check him out.
    "It's OK I've seen enough" I replied, but she insisted (probably so she wouldn't have to hear me bitch in the car).
    First record I see in this guy's (redneck) crates was Music Inc. on Strata. After that a Oneness of Juju, a JB's, a shitload of classic Prestige, first Kool and the Gang, etc. etc. Bought about 65 records, all in great shape for about $3 apiece. Thank you Paola wherever you are.

gloom, my girlfriend's in a band here, has great taste in music, and would way rather get records than flowers. unfortunately, she listens to some wack shit (roger whittaker) but most of her shit is either punk or rocksteady-ish soul, mixed in with elton john and CCR. you'll see when you come out here in january...

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    girlfriend is supportive and interested, but like the rest of you man do i feel like a fuckin nerd when i bring her along...she's into indie hip hop and idm-electronica and to a certain extent soul/funk, so it's not really a struggle to bring her to small record stores. but now that we only see each other once or twice a month, we try to spend our time doing other things.

but she's been there to bring me to some very awesome secret spots she found, and has been very patient as i unearth raer forgotten diseases (and every once in a while, a cool record) from nasty smelling crates.

and i think she lurks on this board after i linked her to the album mp3 thread.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    no.

and i like it that way.