Digable Planets Reunion Tour: Is it worth a damn?

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
The Digable Planets are coming to town next week. There are tickets still available and I was thinking of checking out the concert. I generally avoid "nostalgia tours," but I might make an exception for this because I heard they were good at Lollapalooza this past summer. My question is, Has anyone seen them on their recent tour? Is it worth it? Do they play any new stuff and, if so, is it any good? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I saw a show on TV. Very very very nice. Doodlebug (is that his name?) actually sounded better than on the old recordings. I never liked his voice or style, but he kinda changed. Ladybug and Butterfly were great too! I'd love to seem 'em! I missed their German tour. The stuff I have seen on TV was very dope! Go there!

They talked about a new album... a mixture between old and new hip hop styles...

• ~Crates

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The Digable Planets are coming to town next week. There are tickets still available and I was thinking of checking out the concert. I generally avoid "nostalgia tours," but I might make an exception for this because I heard they were good at Lollapalooza this past summer. My question is, Has anyone seen them on their recent tour? Is it worth it? Do they play any new stuff and, if so, is it any good?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

btw, white tea is best! i love it! delicious!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Digable Planets are coming to town next week. There are tickets still available and I was thinking of checking out the concert. I generally avoid "nostalgia tours," but I might make an exception for this because I heard they were good at Lollapalooza this past summer. My question is, Has anyone seen them on their recent tour? Is it worth it? Do they play any new stuff and, if so, is it any good?

btw, white tea is best! i love it! delicious!

I slang in my...I bang in my...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I thought for sure you were gonna post the hackey-sack squad.

-e

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    dood, I sawr the first show in MPLS and it kicked some serious ass, DON"T MISS THAT SHIT!!!!!!

ON POINT and ladybug had the BIGGEST/DEEPEST CAMELTOE EVER!!!!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Ladybug did 3 new songs, 1 was cool. The other dude did 2 solos, both were cool.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

ON POINT and ladybug had the BIGGEST/DEEPEST CAMELTOE EVER!!!!

pure sex.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I thought for sure you were gonna post the hackey-sack[/b] squad.

-e

Dude, if I go, I totally plan to kick it up with a few heads outside of the concert.

Seriously though, thanks for the responses. I think I am going to buy tickets for the concert.

Cheers to all the white tea lovers of the world, and don't seep that shit too long either!

• ON POINT and ladybug had the BIGGEST/DEEPEST CAMELTOE EVER!!!!

pure sex.

i saw em when they came here and id probably go again.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I put that up there with a Tone Loc reunion tour. If he reunited with himself.

1 hit wonder.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I can never tell if you guys are being sincere when these Digable Planets threads start up, and if you all really like them as much as it seems...or if it is the ultimate expression of Soul Strut sarcasm, an entire thread of people pretending to like Digable Planets, when if fact, they can't stand them. I really hope it's the latter.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I can never tell if you guys are being sincere when these Digable Planets threads start up, and if you all really like them as much as it seems...or if it is the ultimate expression of Soul Strut sarcasm, an entire thread of people pretending to like Digable Planets, when if fact, they can't stand them. I really hope it's the latter.

There are about three people with a genuine loathing of the Digable Planets on SoulStrut. Of these three, I am the only one who can't restrain himself from posting in any and every Digable Plenets thread. Pretty much everyone else on here seems to sincerely appreciate that crap. They be to rap what key be to lock.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Digable Planets are coming to town next week. There are tickets still available

I bet there are A LOT of tickets still available! LOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In related news, J.J. Fad are playing a reunion gig at the Applebees off of I95 in Cranston, RI - just 45 minutes from where I live - this weekend. I'm tempted to go, but a bit wary since the youngest member of that group was already like 48 years old back when they had their hit. Still...the combination of all-you-can-eat chicken wings and post-electro west coast nostalgia is hard to resist! Is anybody going?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    In related news, J.J. Fad are playing a reunion gig at the Applebees off of I95 in Cranston, RI - just 45 minutes from where I live - this weekend. I'm tempted to go, but a bit wary since the youngest member of that group was already like 48 years old back when they had their hit. Still...the combination of all-you-can-eat chicken wings and post-electro west coast nostalgia is hard to resist! Is anybody going?

DOPE! I'll be there wearing a pair of "locs," a L.A. Raiders cap with my DJ name sewn on the side with a stopwatch around my neck drinkin' a 40 of St. Ides and gettin' my "C Walk" on at the salad bar!!!!!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

I genuinely ejoyed the reunion show and celebrate their whole catalog. Honest.

You like that avatar don't you, good times revisted.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I don't hate "the planets" but I did verbally abuse them in a parking lot in Cali, back in '94. I laughed and saif "I didn't know Brooklyn was in Seattle" or something like that. A bunch of my friends partied with them that night. Smoked a bunch of weed. they were all exited, i was like, next.

I'd tap.

• straight dookie. How did these guys avoid all the hate that other cornball rappers caught
    in the early 90's...

I'm like that, I'm like that,
    I'm like that, i'm like that...

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    How did these guys avoid all the hate that other cornball rappers caught
    in the early 90's...
    Seriously, even beyond the corniness of "Cool Like Dat", you have "Jimi's Diggin Cats" and "Moon Units". Not to mention, the same guy who produced their first album was the guy who went on to produce the mulitplatinum smash hit "Who Let The Dogs Out", by the Baja Men, and it seriously wasn't that much of a departure.

What saves Digable Planets from hate for me is their second album. Blowout Comb is one of my favorite summer albums ever, and the production is perfect. I've heard there was an article in Mix magazine about their production methods, and for Blowout Comb they were doing some really interesting stuff, all analog and possibly even using tape loops and stuff.

• Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but the direction this thread took is real suprising to me. As a dude who dwells around the fringes of the "real rap heads" or "real hip hop " community, I never had any idea that Digable Planets were considered cornballs more than any other positive rap group. Does this extend to Arested Development, too? Then what about positive rap acts like, Blackalicous, Jurassic 5, Common, J Live, K-OS, Unspoken Heard, ect? What about Talib Kweli? Dude has a show coming in my neighborhood. What about Mr. Live?

I always thought positive rap was good as it's own thing, although not as cool as some other genres of rap. The cheese is part of the charm.

I've never heard this anti Arressted Development seniment expressed in any of the rap related interviews and writing I've read. Even Ego Trip co-signed them. I thought Ego Trip was dope. I respect their opinon. Are they considered dumb also?

• Nah, because some of them cats can actually insert feet in asses, where as I'd send my girlfriend to handle the planets.

But really though, how could anyone hat on Tennessee?

Cosign on the Blowout album. It is real smooth minus a few weak moments. Good music.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    You're all crazy! Both Digable Planets LPs are nice. Maybe, some old folks in here don't like their music, but it was a good thing listening to Digable Planets as a teen-ager. Good music...

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

why did that take 6 posts to come up?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but the direction this thread took is real suprising to me. As a dude who dwells around the fringes of the "real rap heads" or "real hip hop " community, I never had any idea that Digable Planets were considered cornballs more than any other positive rap group. Does this extend to Arested Development, too? Then what about positive rap acts like, Blackalicous, Jurassic 5, Common, J Live, K-OS, Unspoken Heard, ect? What about Talib Kweli? Dude has a show coming in my neighborhood. What about Mr. Live?

pretty much. yes.

Seriously, even beyond the corniness of "Cool Like Dat",

I consider this to be a good track. The production is tight and the rhyming is ok, although I admittedly pay little attention to what they're actually talking about.

I consider Arrested Development to be a little corny but "Tennessee" is off the hook. Well, the beat, anyway. But I am still thirstay.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Arrested Development?
    ASS OUT
    Chuck D?
    ASS OUT
    Digable Planets?
    ASS OUT