Classical jawns

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
a) What age are YOU going to burn your funky stuff and go all pipe and slippers? I'm thinking the spiritual free folk crowd are gonna be first to get there.b) Will it then be worth some money again?? I have a bunch of white label german radio promos from 59-61 that should be the shit!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    a) What age are YOU going to burn your funky stuff and go all pipe and slippers? I'm thinking the spiritual free folk crowd are gonna be first to get there.

b) Will it then be worth some money again?? I have a bunch of white label german radio promos from 59-61 that should be the shit!

I'm all about Bluebacks and Shaded Dogs. Never gonna burn funk.

• a) What age are YOU going to burn your funky stuff and go all pipe and slippers? I'm thinking the spiritual free folk crowd are gonna be first to get there.

b) Will it then be worth some money again?? I have a bunch of white label german radio promos from 59-61 that should be the shit!

I'm all about Bluebacks and Shaded Dogs. Never gonna burn soul or funk. [/b]

• Can anyone recommend some good classical solo piano recordings? I've been digging Erik Satie's piano stuff as well as Debussy's and Schoenberg's. Anyone else I should be checking for?

• Can anyone recommend some good classical solo piano recordings? I've been digging Erik Satie's piano stuff as well as Debussy's and Schoenberg's. Anyone else I should be checking for?

You should check out Morton Feldman. Just get a best of thing. Sometimes there is a violin with him. But he doesnt play the piano.

• a) What age are YOU going to burn your funky stuff and go all pipe and slippers? I'm thinking the spiritual free folk crowd are gonna be first to get there.

I'm all about Bluebacks and Shaded Dogs. Never gonna burn funk.

If only those had more exciting material, I mean...Howard Hansen?

Glenn Gould, Horowitz

• Glenn Gould

The 1955 version of the Goldberg Variations looks dope. Thanks.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    any of Cage's sonatas for prepared piano.

• Never gonna burn soul, funk, or jazz [/b]

If there is ever a serious gas shortage, I say recycle all of the classical vinyl at thrift stores, along with the Merrill Womach discography.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Can anyone recommend some good classical solo piano recordings? I've been digging Erik Satie's piano stuff as well as Debussy's and Schoenberg's. Anyone else I should be checking for?

Glenn Gould playing Bach and Alfred Brendel playing Beethoven sonatas.

Thanks for all the suggestions and don't look at this link if you like Beethoven.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Anyone who hasnt peeped Paul Hindemith's "Mathis Der Maler" has to immediately. The shit is on some uber-face melt type steelo.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Will it then be worth some money again

The right classical LP can easily net $1000 quite frequently if you know what you're doing (I don't, and don't care to study it either )

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Can anyone recommend some good classical solo piano recordings? I've been digging Erik Satie's piano stuff as well as Debussy's and Schoenberg's. Anyone else I should be checking for?

Yes, that is the right answer. Don't listen to crink and his prepared piano shit. He is a hippy stoner and will steer you down violently wrong paths.

also, don't sleep on the piano concerto. Its piano backed by an orchestra... think of it as a piano solo with backup, if you will.

And for those not in the know, if its the slow pretty stuff that you like, go to the second movement of stuff. Since concertos, symphonys, etc etc are usually written in "sonata" form, the middle movement will be the nice pretty one. or look for that key word "adagio". I know this sounds stupid to the 'real classical headz', but for those looking for a place to start it can be pretty intimidating.

oh, and also check out some chopin preludes. them shits is nice!