ENKI Calls Out Wack Opening DJs

2»

Comments

• On the analogy of rock bands: you rarely see opening acts who are not at all in the vein of the headliner or the venue itself. It reminds me of that scene in the Blues Brothers where they show up at the shitkicker bar and they ask the manager what kind of music they usually play there.

"We play both kinds: country and western."

So did they launch into "Gimme Some Lovin'"? No. They played "Rawhide."

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    On the analogy of rock bands: you rarely see opening acts who are not at all in the vein of the headliner or the venue itself. It reminds me of that scene in the Blues Brothers where they show up at the shitkicker bar and they ask the manager what kind of music they usually play there.

"We play both kinds: country and western."

So did they launch into "Gimme Some Lovin'"? No. They played "Rawhide."

actually though, if a bands that have a limited draw individually are put together on a bill together then you increase the chances of a bigger show door-wise. if you know one band will bring in 50 people and another band will bring in 50 different people, then you have a show with 100 people instead of just the 50 that came to see that one band and a like-minded opener. However, I suppose, a like minded atmosphere isnt always an important thing in band shows as it is in DJ shows...perhaps another reason to change the way booking occurs in the DJ world.

• Hook Up -- you are right. A good DJ can (and should be able to) save a room.

But a good opener should know his or her role. I think that was Enki's point.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.
    Headliner should be pooping his pants when you're done.

Sayin.

There was a story here on SS where Grandmaster Flash gives dudes a list of shit they cannot play when opening up for him.

I've had friends that dealt with that. Like they could be "sued" or something. Gnarly.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    Hook Up -- you are right. A good DJ can (and should be able to) save a room.

Yes

But a good opener should know his or her role. I think that was Enki's point.

Yes

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    elise said:
    batmon said:
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

Sayin.

There was a story here on SS where Grandmaster Flash gives dudes a list of shit they cannot play when opening up for him.

I've had friends that dealt with that. Like they could be "sued" or something. Gnarly.

I think he meant don't play certain records that will cause said DJ to outshine Flash. I've had asshole DJ's try to pop that same shit in the past, "don't play this & don't play that cause I already got my set lined up". Man fuck you and your set, I'ma do me, you do you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Reminds of a story about Col Hampton Hawes touring with Three Dog Night.
    The Hawes group got tired of hearing 3dn play the identical set every night.
    So one night they went out and played 3DN's entire set.

Ok, back to dj talk.

• complaining about an opening DJ and even complaining about it in a published article is for fags

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    flatblackplastic said:
    chrisflyer said:
    fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

one of the funniest things ive ever read on this site!
    i believe it was edpowers that said it right?
    yes
    all-time classique

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I've been the opening jock that was told to "keep the bpms low". I kept it low for the first 45 mins, but the place got packed (to check out the headliner, TBH) and I could tell they wanted to get down a bit before he went on, so I stopped playing the "set-up" music. Wasn't a problem, and the night was amazing. The headliner killed it, and all was right with the world.

I've also been the "headlining" jock that had to boot the opener off a little early because he was laying a big time egg.
    Him: "But,I'm supposed to play till 11:30."
    Me: "Yeah, sorry chief, play one more, then I'm taking over".

Bad opening jocks can ruin a night. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fuck keeping BPMs low early on. When I go to the club I want to dance from when I enter the door to when they close. Great track after great track, no holding back. I don't need to warm up; it's not a goddamn soccer match.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Fuck keeping BPMs low early on..... I don't need to warm up; it's not a goddamn soccer match.

Amen brother!

• Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

OK,AS I WAS READING THE COMMENTS I WAS THINKING WHEN IS SOMEONE GONNA GROW SOME BALLS AND SPEAK SOME REAL. WELL I CO-SIGN TABASKO! ENKI HAD A FEW GOOD POINTS BUT PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT:
    1. YOU ARE AS MUCH A PART OF THE SHOW AS THE HEADLINER(IF YOU VIEW YOURSELF AS NOTHING MORE THEN AN "OPENER" THEN YOU HAVEN'T REACHED THE POINT OF DJ'ING BIG SHOWS.)
    2.THE VOLUME SHOULD BE LOUD FROM BEGINNING TO END(IF YOU WANNA TALK,GO HOME!,THE CROWD SHOULD FEEL YOU BEFORE THEY EVEN GET INSIDE.)
    3.PLAY WHAT YOU WANT JUST ROCK THE CROWD! (WHY WOULD YOU GO SEE A BUNCH OF DJ'S THAT ARE ALL GOING TO PLAY THE SAME SONGS ANYWAY???)

I REMEMBER A DJ SHOW I WENT TO YEARS AGO THAT FEATURED SHORTKUT,ROC RAIDA,CRAZE,DJ LORD,& JAZZY JAY. WHO DO YOU THINK WAS THE HEADLINER ON THAT BILL?

• Reynaldo said:
    Fuck keeping BPMs low early on. When I go to the club I want to dance from when I enter the door to when they close. Great track after great track, no holding back. I don't need to warm up; it's not a goddamn soccer match.

NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Are the caps on purpose?! JESUS!

• elise said:

wimp.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    cuthbert151 said:
    elise said:

wimp.

Yeller!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

You sound one dimensional.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Reynaldo said:

he collects only latin

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What the fuck is going on in this thread?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Reynaldo said:

That big floor there in front of you is for dancing.