The Death of College Radio

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/business/media/06stations.html

Excerpt:
Like many college radio stations across the country, Rice University???s KTRU and Vanderbilt University???s WRVU play a broad swath of music ??? from undiscovered indie bands and obscure blues acts to ???60s garage rock and ???80s postpunk. It???s a mix largely absent from commercial broadcasts, and students active in radio say their stations add distinct voices to their cities??? broadcast landscape.

But as colleges across the country look for ways to tighten budgets amid recession-induced shortfalls, some administrators ??? most recently in the South ??? have focused on college radio, leading even well-endowed universities to sell off their FM stations. That trend was felt this summer at Rice and Vanderbilt, among the most prominent of Southern universities, stirring debate about the viability of broadcast radio, the reach of online broadcasting and the value of student broadcast programming.

???We play music that you won???t find on any other Houston radio station??? said Joey Yang, a junior at Rice and station manager for KTRU. ???KTRU???s mission is to broadcast exactly what you can???t find elsewhere on the dial.???

Scott Cardone, a sophomore disk jockey at WRVU with a two-hour electric blues show, pointed to the potential void in Nashville if Vanderbilt???s FM signal were to be sold. ???The community will lose what probably is the last radio station playing anything other than country, Christian or Top 40 in the whole city,??? he said. ???You can???t hear the music that we play anywhere else.???

Anyone care? Free form college radio likes to take credit for giving a venue for many genres of music that otherwise would have been totally ignored. On the other hand, terrestrial radio is going the way of the dodo; how many people in influential demographics (aka under 40) actually listen to FM radio? This much is certain, FM spectrum is totally sold out, any channel lost is gone forever from college programming. Rice might get 9.5 million dollars now but there will never be a KTRU ever again, at least on the FM airwaves.

I'm a college radio person, so my biased opinion is that these stations are irreplaceable resources. For music programming, they represent the only thing worthwhile on the FM airwaves. Commercial radio is a tired cliche with an abysmally short, focus grouped playlist that caters to the least common denominator. I feel sorry for people who live in markets that don't have a free-form option, and as time goes on this is more and more Americans.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I got my start on College Radio.

But if Biff and them can broadcast from their dormroom w/ a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best and a Vodka filled Bong, I forsee the diminished influence of College-Backed Radio.

WNYU in NYC in the late 80's had a great Hip Hop Show. I need to upload the Ultra interview I own pre-Critical Beatdown.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I feel that between KCRW and WWOZ, everything good is being covered, that might otherwise be overlooked.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Who lives in a market without this kind of radio?

The college station I was involved with faced these exact same issues 25 years ago. It's still around:

http://weos.publicbroadcasting.net/aboutus.html

Some things never change.

b/w

Granted I'm only searching in the Northeast, but I never have a problem finding a free-form station, whether it's WFMU or WOMR or a number of others in between. Connecticut/Rhode Island used to be a barren waste land - now there's a number of free-form college stations.

Current (incomplete) list of free-form stations in the U.S. :

* KALX, University of California, Berkeley
    * WCKS (college radio) Grand Rapids, Michigan
    * WBCN Boston, Massachusetts US
    * KANM (Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas)
    * KDHX (St. Louis, Missouri)
    * KAOS (Olympia, Washington)
    * KBOO (Portland, Oregon)
    * KCMP (St. Paul, Minnesota)
    * KCR (San Diego State University, San Diego, California)
    * KCOU (University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri)
    * KCSB-FM (University of California, Santa Barbara, Goleta, California)
    * KDVS (University of California, Davis, Davis, California)
    * KEOL (Eastern Oregon University, La Grande, Oregon)
    * KEXP (Seattle, WA)
    * KFJC (Foothill College, Los Altos Hills, California)
    * KHUM (Ferndale, California)
    * KJHK (University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas)
    * KMNR (Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri)
    * KLOS (Los Angeles, California) is a classic rock station with a nightly freeform program by Jim Ladd.
    * KPSU (Portland State University, Portland, Oregon)
    * KRFH (Humboldt State University, Arcata, California)
    * KRLX (Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota)
    * KRUI (University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa)
    * KTEC (Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls, Oregon)
    * KTEQ (South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota)
    * KTRM (Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri)
    * KTRU (Rice University, Houston, Texas)
    * K-UTE (University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah)
    * KUGS (Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington)
    * KUOI (University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho)
    * KURE (Iowa State University. Ames, Iowa)
    * KVRX (University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas)
    * KVSC (St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, Minnesota)
    * KVSF-FM (Pecos, New Mexico)
    * KWUR (St. Louis, Missouri)
    * WARC (Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania)
    * WBGU (Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio)
    * WCBN (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
    * KCRW (Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, California)
    * WCNI (Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut)
    * WCAL (California University of Pennsylvania, California, Pennsylvania)
    * WESS (East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania)
    * WESU (Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut)
    * WETX-LP (Tri-Cities, Tennessee)
    * WEVL (Memphis, Tennessee)
    * WEXP (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
    * WFMU (Jersey City, New Jersey)
    * WGDR (Plainfield, Vermont)
    * WHRW (Binghamton University, New York)
    * WIKD-LP (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida)
    * WKDU (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
    * WLRA (Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois)
    * WMBR (MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
    * WMFO (Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts)
    * WMSC (Montclair State University, Upper Montclair, New Jersey)
    * WMSR (Miami University, Oxford, Ohio)
    * WMSE (Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
    * WMUA (University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts)
    * WMUC (University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland)
    * WNJR (Washington & Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania)
    * WOBC (Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio)
    * WPKN (Bridgeport, Connecticut)
    * WPRK (Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida)
    * WRCT (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
    * WRFL (University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky)
    * WRFW (University of Wisconsin???River Falls)
    * WRNC-LP (Northland College (Wisconsin), Ashland, Wisconsin)
    * WRUR (University of Rochester, Rochester, New York)
    * WSPN (Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, New York)
    * WRUV (University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont)
    * WRVU (Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee)
    * WSGR-FM (St. Clair County Community College, Port Huron, Michigan)
    * WSUM (University of Wisconsin???Madison, Madison, Wisconsin)
    * WTJU (University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia)
    * WUMD (University of Michigan???Dearborn, Dearborn, Michigan)
    * WUPX - RadioX (Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Michigan)
    * WUSB (Stony Brook University SUNY, Stony Brook, New York)
    * WUVT (Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia)
    * WVBR (Ithaca, New York)
    * WVYC (York College of Pennsylvania, York, Pennsylvania)
    * WWPT (Staples High School, Westport, Connecticut)
    * WXBC (Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York)
    * WXDU (Duke University, Durham, North Carolina)
    * WXLV (Lehigh Carbon Community College, Schnecksville, Pennsylvania)
    * WXYC (UNC Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
    * WZRD (Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, Illinois)
    * WKCO (Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio)
    * WRPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York)

My understanding is that this segment of radio is growing, not dying.

• The station where I do shows is on that list above, WEVL. We are completely listener supported. We recieve no money from the Government, nor are we subsidized nor connected to any school. All of our operating costs come from our listeners. We do 2 9-day pledge drives a year. Even in the shitty economy, we continue to exeed our donation goals each drive. People do want this type of radio, at least here in Memphis and all over the world apparently as we get money from online listeners from South Africa, Sweden, Ireland...all over. I suppose if you are playing a good mix of music, have good DJs who know their genres, and can do it without commercials, people will listen and support you. WEVL has been on the air since 1977, the whole time it has been listener supported. I guess we are the exception, not the rule.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Well, scratch one off the list:

USF sells KUSF

While not entirely free-form, KUSF had many, many great shows and hosted a record swap that was a great place to meet Strutters and Waxidermists and it will be missed on my radio dial. It's sad that a university could squander a irreplaceable resource for a short term monetary gain.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    KUSF had many, many great shows

BEATSAUCE!

That is a shame that the station is being sold off.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Hmmm... According to that article it wasn't sold off, only the broadcast frequency was sold and it will continue as KUSF as an internet-only station.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Any thing that keeps them from cutting the football budget is good.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Who lives in a market without this kind of radio?

No college radio in Dallas.

Horseleech said:
    Hmmm... According to that article it wasn't sold off, only the broadcast frequency was sold and it will continue as KUSF as an internet-only station.

Selling the FM license is essentially the death of the station. No offense to anyone working at the UCSD or UCLA stations, but internet-only radio stations are mere shadows of college radio stations with an FM signal.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I used to guest DJ regularly on KTRU in Houston. That show from years ago was still on the air until the station was sold off. It is very unfortunate that there will be no alternative radio to listen to. The commercial stations are horrible.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Well, scratch one off the list:

USF sells KUSF

:shitty:

Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:

not sure if I'm being "tone deaf" again, but this in the "greater Dallas area:"

http://www.kntu.com

at the classic subversive 88.1 location on the dial, no less.

and not "college" but community radio in Big D also:

http://www.knon.org/programs

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Notably, 90.3 FM has been sold to a non-commercial classical public radio station. Not the greatest of options but at least it's not a commercial station.

SoulOnIce said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:

not sure if I'm being "tone deaf" again, but this in the "greater Dallas area:"

http://www.kntu.com

at the classic subversive 88.1 location on the dial, no less.

and not "college" but community radio in Big D also:

http://www.knon.org/programs

Not sure what the "tone deaf" reference is about but UNT station doesn't reach Dallas......at least not where I am......Denton is about 60 miles north......my kid went to the school and it's one of the best music schools in the Southwest.....they have a completely different and separate music scene from Dallas.

KNON is a great station......Big Al & The Snake had a legendary Hip-Hop show..

mannybolone said:
    Notably, 90.3 FM has been sold to a non-commercial classical public radio station. Not the greatest of options but at least it's not a commercial station.

Yeah, but NPR has been buying up community radio stations around the country and replacing local, eclectic and sometimes radical radio programming with lifeless national formatted classical stations. The loss of local community radio is tragic, especially if you are involved in the music scene that thrives on touring and local underground bands being played and promoted through this media.

Rockadelic said:

Not sure what the "tone deaf" reference is about but UNT station doesn't reach Dallas......at least not where I am......Denton is about 60 miles north......my kid went to the school and it's one of the best music schools in the Southwest.....they have a completely different and separate music scene from Dallas.

I was called "tone deaf" in the NFL thread for not appreciating sarcasm, so I was saying I didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not. KUNT showed up on a couple of online lists of "local Dallas radio stations" but obviously you will know better whether it reaches D or not. KNON does seem like a great station, very similar to mine, which despite being a "college" station run out of MIT, is technically a "community" station, which is why I am even able to be a DJ there.

SoulOnIce said:
    mannybolone said:

Yeah, but NPR has been buying up community radio stations around the country and replacing local, eclectic and sometimes radical radio programming with lifeless national formatted classical stations. The loss of local community radio is tragic, especially if you are involved in the music scene that thrives on touring and local underground bands being played and promoted through this media.

That does not sound right.

I don't think NPR owns stations.
    I am probably wrong, but I thought they provided content to independent stations.
    It also seems to me that they have dropped, and most local affiliates have dropped, the classical format.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

SoulOnIce said:
    Rockadelic said:

I was called "tone deaf" in the NFL thread for not appreciating sarcasm, so I was saying I didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not. KUNT showed up on a couple of online lists of "local Dallas radio stations" but obviously you will know better whether it reaches D or not. KNON does seem like a great station, very similar to mine, which despite being a "college" station run out of MIT, is technically a "community" station, which is why I am even able to be a DJ there.

I've heard your show.....and I would consider any station that would put your show on as a "great station".

There's a radio station called KUNT?

LaserWolf said:

I am probably wrong, but I thought they provided content to independent stations.
    It also seems to me that they have dropped, and most local affiliates have dropped, the classical format.

Admittedly, being in the middle of this business, I hear all kinds of info, some conflicting, some with an air of paranoia, so I don't have all the facts. I know that looking it up myself it appears that the CPRN has actually shrunk considerably in the past couple of years, but a DJ from my area that now works out in Cali claims that the CPRN has tried to take over an endless list of community/college stations and that only because so many stations have held out have they been unable to completely monopolize the lower end of the airwaves.

SoulOnIce said:
    LaserWolf said:

Admittedly, being in the middle of this business, I hear all kinds of info, some conflicting, some with an air of paranoia, so I don't have all the facts. I know that looking it up myself it appears that the CPRN has actually shrunk considerably in the past couple of years, but a DJ from my area that now works out in Cali claims that the CPRN has tried to take over an endless list of community/college stations and that only because so many stations have held out have they been unable to completely monopolize the lower end of the airwaves.

CPRN and NPR are not the same thing, and CPRN got out of broadcast radio in 2008.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DOaYy0bd01MJ:www.classicalradio.org/+cprn&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

LaserWolf said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    mannybolone said:

KUSF's frequency had to be sold to a non-commercial station, the FCC reserves the bottom of the FM spectrum, anything from 88.1 to 91.9, for educational non-commercial stations. This is the rule in the US, although border cities can have commercial stations in this frequency from foreign licensed stations like 91X in San Diego. KUSF is not being bought by NPR, but by a conglomeration of public classical music stations ultimately owned by USC.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    USC ownership = salt in wounds.

Horseleech said:

yeah, I read that, too ... but:

In an online press release, USF details its move. "The university has reached an agreement to assign the FCC license for radio frequency 90.3 FM to Classical Public Radio Network, which is launching a non-commercial classical music station in the Bay Area," said the statement, noting CPRN is owned by University of Southern California.

http://www.baycitizen.org/blogs/pulse-of-the-bay/kusf-radio-air/

that article also recounts the heartwarming story of how they cut the transmitter in the middle of the day, without warning, with the uninformed music director of the station trying to figure out what had broken ... and then saw the guys changing the locks on all the doors.

as for your second claim, that CPRN and NPR are "not the same thing," NPR would beg to differ:

http://www.npr.org/about/press/030505.cprn.html

again, that article is from over 7 years ago, so who knows the status of CPRN now, with the misleading info out there that they are no longer operating ... yet they apparently took over KUSF this very afternoon.

I freely admitted that my info on this matter is sketchy, because there are conflicting reports out there and I hear different things firsthand from different people. But you seemed to just want to discredit my statement without any real idea of what you are talking about, either. Go Patriots.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Neither NPR nor CPB really own much of anything nor would they have the cash to do this. And anything under 91.9 is commercial free and must serve public interest, and is bound by stricter regulations.

What I simply do not comprehend is the motivation behind the continued expansion of USC's classical radio non-profit. 9 million dollars is a big investment and I cram to understand how they are pitching this to potential donors. It's a VERY unique situation for a non-profit, because while technically the sale of an FCC license is simply the sale of a large asset, in practice it is the sale of a small arm of the university, shielded only via the common practice of declaring campus radio a separate and autonomous organization.

I'm scared for my old station and everyone else in the UCRN network. Campuses will take note of this and jump on an easy way out of budget deficits.

I don't know anything about cprn.

On the whole, classical music is almost none existent on most public radio stations.
    NPR, has dropped almost all their classical programing in favor of news, Garrison Keillor, and Car Talk. Shows like American Routes provide folk and roots music.
    Most public radio stations seem to have followed suit best I can tell.

I think the loss of free form college and community radio stations is a bad thing.
    They provide an outlet and format that is missing on most public radio stations.

http://www.kusc.org/Channels/PressReleases/Story.aspx?id=1345866

here's what actually happened. I thought something was fishy. The company who owned the major classical station in the Bay wanted to turn it into a more profitable corporate classic rock station, but didn't want to look bad in getting rid of a popular classical station, so they struck a joint deal with KUSC that moves it into the public airwaves.

The funding is still really hazy, but this makes more sense, even though the result still blows. It's still crazy to me how valuable an FCC license is, even in public airwaves.

http://www.kusc.org/Channels/PressReleases/Story.aspx?id=1345866

here's what actually happened. I thought something was fishy. The company who owned the major classical station in the Bay wanted to turn it into a more profitable corporate classic rock station, but didn't want to look bad in getting rid of a popular classical station, so they struck a joint deal with KUSC that moves it into the public airwaves.

The funding is still really hazy, but this makes more sense, even though the result still blows. It's still crazy to me how valuable an FCC license is, even in public airwaves.