pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Copped tickets for my wife's Bday
the times review has me shook
setlist okay
rearrangements:not feeling it
3 jeyboardinst 3guitarists on stage=scurred
please to reassure me?
is it acceptable in her own way (my wife is diehard) or random rants and a scratched up voice (more likely)

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Friends saw her at RTB. said she sucked. another friend saw her Sat nite said she was great. but heard she was supposed to go on at 11 and hit the stage at 1.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am expecting mad latteness
    plus the canada border thing (but T.O might suffer more from that)
    also the clown clthes are in full effect

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    like the times writer said
    she is 35 now and it seems she spent the last decade chasing a muse that led her nowhere
    she has one new song since that unplugged2.0 debacle

• i saw her at RTB in nyc and she was great! your wife will have a wonderful time. don't believe the negative comments about her. besides,what do you care,it's your wife who's the diehard and she'll love you for this.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah just trying to brace myself,the smoking band will make it harder for me to pass the time

• Options
    I would propose spending a few hours in the Port Authority bus terminal before the show, then letting us know afterwards which she found more entertaining.

cuthbert151 said:
    i saw her at RTB in nyc and she was great! your wife will have a wonderful time. don't believe the negative comments about her. besides,what do you care,it's your wife who's the diehard and she'll love you for this.

What RTB did you go to? also what drugs were you on at said RTB?

• the Times article was scathing !

"Prince was there and left"

you know you are a piece of struggle if you 'out-diva' Prince.

I hope Lauren kills it when you see her, she is certainly capable of doing better.

• behemoth said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    i saw her at RTB in nyc and she was great! your wife will have a wonderful time. don't believe the negative comments about her. besides,what do you care,it's your wife who's the diehard and she'll love you for this.

learn how to read loser. NYC! you wern't there so shut up. your friends were the ones on drugs if they didn't enjoy such a great show. i HEARD she was not that great in L.A. but i wasn't there so i don't know but she was great in nyc. oh yeah, just say no.

Hi, whoever you are. I am Lauryn Hill and I can see you did your research. However NOTHING out there is like the original recording done by ME. Yes you did your research by linking to my website, it's time to acknowledge ME RYN for the great recordings I did, and quit analyzing what you don't know....

learn how to read loser. NYC! you wern't there so shut up. your friends were the ones on drugs if they didn't enjoy such a great show. i HEARD she was not that great in L.A. but i wasn't there so i don't know but she was great in nyc. oh yeah, just say no.
    YouTube baby pa. And she sucked. She sounded out of breath and hoarse. Best part of her set was when Jay Z came out and waved. You were suffering from heat exhaustion and couldn't think clearly. And your JNCOs were too tight.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    cuthbert151 said:
    behemoth said:
    cuthbert151 said:

i saw her at rock the bells in nyc last summer as well. worst performance on the bill by far. i feel a good chunk of ppl were there to exclusively see her, so expectations were set high. boy were they let down. i saw people rush towards the stage to catch her perform only later to see them turn around, screw-faced up, and walk away from that hot mess of a show. for me, seeing her was a bonus - rounding out a pretty strong rap bill, so don't take my review as an attack on being disappointed.
    i'll give her that the sound was complete shit, but that still couldn't compensate for how horrible she sounded on her own. ms. hill should have enjoyed a room temperature glass of water with lemon and tried clearing her throat, but no. her voice and her in-between-song rants definitely put her in the lane of "crazy lauryn". in terms of music she did, pretty much each track she did was on some rock revision given she was playing with a full band. the band was definitely more loud and aggressive than her, so to compensate, you have lauryn yelling her lyrics instead of singing them. one of the most grating moments for me was when she did an 8 minute rendition of "how many mics" that ended in some double-time drumming with her scatting "how many mics do we rip on the daily / many money, say me say many, many, many" for a good 3-4 minutes straight. eyeroll.
    the biggest crowd reaction her show brought was when she was shouting out the stars who were standing to the side of the stage, not performing: jay-z, beyonc??, mary j, alicia keys, swizzy, LL, etc.

after all is said and done, i would definitely ward people against seeing her for a hefty ticket price. then again, if you consider yourself fan, i probably couldn't convince you otherwise; it's something you'd have to witness for yourself. to her defense, RTB was a huge outdoor venue and the sound was awful, so perhaps seeing her in a more intimate setting would be a much more safer bet.

• batmon said:
    Who?

you know, one of the 50 greatest singers of all time according to npr....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks empanadam
    this is what i expect
    a bunch of ranting interludes and raspy voice with soso rapping and apparently she has some primal screams
    the ticks were 60$ each, my wife likes her despite all the excentricity
    i am mostly concerned about myself

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    basically she could have gone the ani difranco route
    diehard base..keep the same sound and put out a bunch of stuff on a reular intervall
    or go the old soul star route
    classic hits done well and keeping up the voice like a professionnal
    she instead has gone in both opposite directions
    stayed an oddity that will tire out her aging fans
    i am ready to have my mid changed
    but her ''new'' song is a bob marley cover
    and she has a rock version of how many mics

• behemoth said:

YouTube baby pa. And she sucked. She sounded out of breath and hoarse. Best part of her set was when Jay Z came out and waved. You were suffering from heat exhaustion and couldn't think clearly. And your JNCOs were too tight.
    that makes total sense! youtube! that's a great way to judge a live show. i learned a lot today. and thank you sir.

btw, i've been to tons of shows that i later watched on youtube. two completely different worlds. they've never looked as good on youtube as they did live.

cuthbert151 said:
    behemoth said:

that makes total sense! youtube! that's a great way to judge a live show. i learned a lot today. and thank you sir.

btw, i've been to tons of shows that i later watched on youtube. two completely different worlds. they've never looked as good on youtube as they did live. ----------------------------

U Australian?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    cuthbert151 said:
    behemoth said:
    cuthbert151 said:

Salty Lauryn Hill fans = comedy!

Who said I was a fan? yo you know I ain't Australian.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this thread will probably ressemble my discussion with wifey after the show

behemoth said:
    Who said I was a fan? yo you know I ain't Australian.

Not you--I meant the aggro dude.

pcmr said:

hahaha... awesome.

i hope you address her as "baby pa" somewhere in said discussion.

AKallDay said:
    the Times article was scathing !

"Prince was there and left"

you know you are a piece of struggle if you 'out-diva' Prince.

I hope Lauren kills it when you see her, she is certainly capable of doing better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/arts/music/30lauryn.html?scp=2&sq=lauryn hill&st=cse

Two fans in the front row hand-wrote signs: ???You Just Lost One,??? ???This Is Insulting.??? One of the keyboard players taped a reply on his kit: ???I Was on Time.??? When Ms. Hill finally took the stage a little after midnight ??? a few minutes after arriving at the club and getting carried over piles of snow on the street, one witness reported ??? she was primed for a fight.

???Don???t do that. That???s disrespectful,??? she told the fans with the signs, motioning with her finger to the exit at the back of the room, where she suggested they go.

To the crowd she was both thankful and indignantly apologetic. ???I spent my entire 20s sacrificing my life to give you love. So when I hear people complain, I don???t know what to tell you,??? she said. ???I personally know I???m worth the wait.??? (Maybe that???s why the D.J. introduced her with the r??sum?? roll call ???Rapper! Singer! Producer! Humanitarian!???)

After her first song, a lithe, pretty cover of Bob Marley???s ???Forever Loving Jah,??? she finally yanked the sign off her keyboard player???s kit, telling him: ???You trying to escape the bottles and the cups. Next time you take it, you take it like a man. We in this together, brother.???

She is nuts

Anyone who paid money--or even invested time waiting in line--to see her lost.

empanadamn said:
    pcmr said:

hahaha... awesome.

i hope you address her as "baby pa" somewhere in said discussion.

You should.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the sad thing is my older sister paid even more 10 years ago and said pretty much the same thing the times writer did
    yet i am subjecting myself to this
    well at least my expectations won't be high at all
    having no iphone i will not be able to liveblogg this for the stut massive

pcmr said:
    the sad thing is my older sister paid even more 10 years ago and said pretty much the same thing the times writer did
    yet i am subjecting myself to this
    well at least my expectations won't be high at all
    having no iphone i will not be able to liveblogg this for the stut massive

When she first came back solo/ reinvented there was some curiosity to see what had happened.
    I had a sister-friend that considered her Wingate Highschool show that was slammed by everyone, brilliant.

Is she "better" in 2010? I dont see it.

• Never was much of a fan of Fugees but her solo LP was nice.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon and street you are both touching on what lead to this
    my girl adored her solo LP which i found had good songwriting and production
    she just recently revisited the unplguged turd and fell in love again
    i started by saying i thought the girl had gone coocoo and all that
    she made me give it a thourough listen to it and i told her i could do without the endless ranting
    the rasp, the confused lyrics and abset minded forgetting of them and that it would be better if she could craft a real album instead of writing a few chords to misguided poetry in the plane for JA to MIA and then NYC
    to learn that abolutely nothing has changed is disheartening
    however the shit sold out fast
    i knew it was the perfect gift for her but you are stuck going to a concert in that situation

i guess just take it on the chin. not sure if drinking would make it easier to endure or intensify the horror. whatever happens, don't forget your earplugs.