elusive classic hiphop samples

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    How about the bassline from Grand Puba's "360 (What Goes Around)"? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

It's not a sample, it's Anton Pukshansky on bass. He engineered a lot of classics and played on some, too:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Anton+Pukshansky

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    DeeRock said:
    Another sample I want is a vocal drop I'm looking for that J - Rocc always uses "This is the heavy heavy monster sound"

I thought it was from Dave & Ansil Collins but didn't hear it last time I listened to their album. Anyone know where it's from?

It's from Madness - One Step Beyond.....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    How about the bassline from Grand Puba's "360 (What Goes Around)"? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

It's not a sample, it's Anton Pukshansky on bass. He engineered a lot of classics and played on some, too:

Thanks! Now I can stop driving myself crazy trying to figure out the sample. Great bassline.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Mongo_Slade said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Thanks! Now I can stop driving myself crazy trying to figure out the sample. Great bassline.

Speaking of Puba, I've always wondered where the scratched vocal on "You Know How It Goes" comes from:

The voice doesn't sound like any version of "Hard to Handle" I've heard (Otis Redding, KIng Floyd, Black Crowes, Patti Drew, Tony Joe White, Rustix, Harpers Bizarre, Hot Property, etc.) plus it sings "baby I'm so hard to handle" rather than "mama I'm so hard to handle", which is how the chorus on most versions goes.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That's Patti Drew, definitely. It's been slowed down just a little, and although the "baby" is enough of a giveaway for me (I play her version out a lot), if you listen to the phrasing, you can tell it's her version.

• the singing that is being scratched on organized konfusion's "stress" large pro remix(or any part of that song!)?????

..it sounds mad familiar to me....i vaguely remebering it being a joint from the 90's called "i'll be in debt to you"...but no one can confirm....any takers?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This might not qualify but, considering I've never gotten a concrete answer on it. What is the sample for Prodigy's "Keep it thoro". I've heard it a million times but no one has been able to tell me exactly what record it is. I know its a Capitol Library record, but which one??!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Breez said:
    This might not qualify but, considering I've never gotten a concrete answer on it. What is the sample for Prodigy's "Keep it thoro". I've heard it a million times but no one has been able to tell me exactly what record it is. I know its a Capitol Library record, but which one??!!

Excellent, I know this one.

• along with the backwards stuff on "drop" i would also like to know which moog record "turn me up some" reverses.

thanks to whoever pointed out the billie jean pitched down an octave on craig mack "flava in your ear" recently cause that was one i always wondered about.

• nothing constructive to add to this thread, but each time i read the title i wish it said "elusive classic hiphop samples" instead.

[/pedanticpost]

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    along with the backwards stuff on "drop" i would also like to know which moog record "turn me up some" reverses.

thanks to whoever pointed out the billie jean pitched down an octave on craig mack "flava in your ear" recently cause that was one i always wondered about.

I am pretty sure it ain't "billie jean" i sp'd it and pitched it down. sounds nothing like the craig mack beat.

• Breez said:
    I know its a Capitol Library record, but which one??!!

MEDIA MUSIC RELEASE NO.14 - HEADLINE DISCO No.10

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    jammy said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    along with the backwards stuff on "drop" i would also like to know which moog record "turn me up some" reverses.

I am pretty sure it ain't "billie jean" i sp'd it and pitched it down. sounds nothing like the craig mack beat.

Sample it at 8 bit. He used an SP and when I sampled it on mine I sped the MJ sample all the way up then slowed it down, in the SP, and it sounded just like it. Remember, that sample was gritty as hell.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    planless said:
    Breez said:

Thanks man. NOW, the million dollar question: WHO HAS ONE TO TRADE OR SELL??!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Breez said:
    jammy said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Sample it at 8 bit. He used an SP and when I sampled it on mine I sped the MJ sample all the way up then slowed it down, in the SP, and it sounded just like it. Remember, that sample was gritty as hell.

wait -- huh? which part of Flava In Ya Ear? The main horn-ish sounding thing?

• Breez said:
    planless said:
    Breez said:

Thanks man. NOW, the million dollar question: WHO HAS ONE TO TRADE OR SELL??!!

i have to check, i have many library lps double and i think this was one of them. but it takes some time

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    just tried again. i'm normally good at hearing this sorta thing. i'll be damned if its the opening stabs of 'billie jean'

• i had a hard time tracking down the vocal sample on the new Shad K jernt 'rose garden'. I know it's none of the country versions [Lynn christpher et al], but without being near my record collection im pretty stumped.

nothing constructive to add to this thread, but each time i read the title i wish it said "elusive classic hiphop samples" instead.

[/pedanticpost]

Happy now, b----? ;)

Mongo_Slade said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Mongo_Slade said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Speaking of Puba, I've always wondered where the scratched vocal on "You Know How It Goes" comes from:

Funny, I always wondered about this too. Cool that it's the Patty Drew - wouldn't have guessed that.

Also, I always loved the use of the scratch on this Puba joint, especially when the DJ lets it go to "oh, yes I am." FLAVOR.

BUMP

This was a great thread, worth revisiting with some new questions (in light of that Cypress Hill/Tony Avalon thread).

Mongo Slade (RIP) repping in full effect here, as was Raw Hamburger.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    What about this bassline? I can definitely hear the finger on the strings, but is it a sample from a live recording or a hired bassist?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    A silly one--the drums from CB4's "I'm Black Y'all"

It's on the tip of my tongue, and I just can't place it. It's really annoying. Help computer.

• DJ_Enki said:
    A silly one--the drums from CB4's "I'm Black Y'all"

It's on the tip of my tongue, and I just can't place it. It's really annoying. Help computer.

don't know if you're kidding or not but is this it