What Is It About 20-Somethings? (NYT-rel)

Comments

• ????

COMEONSON

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    and my guess is those kids that say "Why the fuck should I do that" will wind up on the lower end of the economic scale.....they obviously have no respect for their superiors/teachers/parents/authority.

Obviously.

If I thought you could see the world beyond your own life experiences, I would love to engage you.
    I work with teens who come from problem areas, but are in no way problem kids. They are bright and exciting and hardworking and smart mouths and major pains in the ass and lazy and question authority at every turn...as they should. If folks are not willing to give a response to "what will I get for it?" that explains all that is possible, and just expect them to fall in line, then they should not be working with young people.

Rockadelic said:

My kids were not punished if they cussed growing up but the one thing they were forbidden from saying was "That's not fair".

Yea we know, you tell it every chance you get.
    Except that there was nothing in what I wrote about fair/unfair.
    The students I work with come from places like Iraq and Afghanistan and/or have lost family members to violence. Their parents are working poor who are trying to get their kids ahead.
    And none of them is talking about unfair.

I am done - it went about as expected.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I can't believe people are actually getting paid at some corporate job to write poasts on soulstrut about the value of hard work

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    bassie said:

The students I work with come from places like Iraq and Afghanistan and/or have lost family members to violence. Their parents are working poor who are trying to get their kids ahead.
    They just aren't willing to invest time to get ahead, for personal fulfillment, or to gain skills, experience, or seniority.

• Well, the world needs ditchdiggers too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    I can't believe people are actually getting paid at some corporate job to write poasts on soulstrut about the value of hard work

That's the reward for putting in the hard work.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Higher education is a huge industry and there have been numerous articles recently predicting that it is the next bubble to burst. I know from my own experience that Law Schools continue to graduate thousands of lawyers who have zero job prospects at the moment and will be leaving school with, at the very least, $100,000 in debt. Only a very small percentage get a $170,000/year job in "Big Law" and its not like if you don;t get one of those jobs, you might get one for $150,0000. More likely, if you're lucky you get a government job that pays $60,000 or you're doing contract work at $15-20/hr. Some of the people in my sumer class were graduating with over a quarter of a million dollars in loans between undergraduate and law school.

Real talk.

I think education has avoided a lot of this scrutiny because, well, it's education. Everyone thinks education is "good" because we've been told this ad nauseum since birth and of course, education is good in an abstract sense. But when we're talking about institutions and organizations, education can - and often is - a holy fucking mess. And more to the point, because educational institutions have their own motives for encouraging a rather blind "education is great!" ethic but lack equally sound management rationales, you have situations where you're producing highly-skilled graduates who are simultaneously saddled with stunning debt and are about to enter a fubar-ed job market.

This is a real issue in liberal arts graduate schools - not just the professional programs. So far, the system has managed not to collapse on itself but I don't see how it's going to magically correct itself without either some really smart interventions or a complete meltdown. For the sake of myself, my colleagues and the next generation, I really hope it's the former and not the latter on the horizon.

bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    and my guess is those kids that say "Why the fuck should I do that" will wind up on the lower end of the economic scale.....they obviously have no respect for their superiors/teachers/parents/authority.

Obviously.

If I thought you could see the world beyond your own life experiences, I would love to engage you.
    I work with teens who come from problem areas, but are in no way problem kids. They are bright and exciting and hardworking and smart mouths and major pains in the ass and lazy and question authority at every turn...as they should. If folks are not willing to give a response to "what will I get for it?" that explains all that is possible, and just expect them to fall in line, then they should not be working with young people.

Rockadelic said:

My kids were not punished if they cussed growing up but the one thing they were forbidden from saying was "That's not fair".

Yea we know, you tell it every chance you get.
    Except that there was nothing in what I wrote about fair/unfair.

I am done - it went about as expected.

I'm not going to speak for Hook Up but I'm pretty certain he was saying that when a kid he works with is told to do a task or behave a certain way they expect some sort of reward. And the suggestion is that this is an American phenomena due to a culture change of child rearing over the last 30-40 years. I would NOT expect the children you described as suffering from the same problem.

How's that for looking outside my own life experiences?

• Bassie...your little soliloquy was comendable but we obviously work with different kinds of kids...the motivation for most of my kids is "work your treatment, do as you are told or get sent back to jail" The kids I work with have done very adult things such as attempted murder, armed robbery, etc...we just try and treat them to get back on at least a non criminal path...it is time for these kids to take authority seriously, not question it. Questioning it and not respecting it will get them thrown into general population as soon as they turn 18.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Bassie...your little soliloquy

Uhg dude, really?
    Whatever - all the best with your work.

K-12 education for manly men should be entirely different. For about 80% of the school day, boys should be building structures, doing cement work/dirt work, blacksmithing, welding, repairing engines, machining, mining, drilling wells, felling trees, and farming--with the core subjects integrated into the work. The rest of the day should be spent on recreation, leisure, and socializing with cute girls. Afterschool sports is mandatory. Students pass each grade by building increasingly difficult structures or machines, from scratch.

I say this as someone who holds a valid K-8 California Teaching Credential.

• bassie said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Bassie...your little soliloquy

Uhg dude, really?
    Whatever - all the best with your work.

yeah really, you basically were implying that if I didn't see things your way, I shouldn't be working with kids, so yeah I'm gonna minimize what you had to say...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Clean your room and wash yo ass.

Reynaldo said:
    K-12 education for manly men should be entirely different.

First, begin with Old Spice Body Wash???...

• sabadabada said:
    Well, the world needs ditchdiggers too.

ive got a machine for that. holler.

• sabadabada
    Posted: 31 August 2010 02:35 PM

In about six months you are going to experience the greatest buyers market in housing in a generation. Coupled with current interest rates of 4 1/4. The time is almost now. Westchester, here I come.

Mirage forecast, it's not going to happen. Far too many factors involved to rebound the housing sector in a whooping 6 months. We're looking at a long slow 5-10 year climb.

BTW....friend just sold her house....$50K loss. F*ckin' BRUTAL!

• novasol said:
    sabadabada
    Posted: 31 August 2010 02:35 PM

In about six months you are going to experience the greatest buyers market in housing in a generation. Coupled with current interest rates of 4 1/4. The time is almost now. Westchester, here I come.

Mirage forecast, it's not going to happen. Far too many factors involved to rebound the housing sector in a whooping 6 months. We're looking at a long slow 5-10 year climb.

BTW....friend just sold her house....$50K loss. F*ckin' BRUTAL!

I said BUYERS MARKET

• L O L

A buyer's market assumes there are people who have the money (or more pertinent: the credit) to buy.

Big assumption. Doesn't matter how low housing prices might fall if 1) you don't have work and 2) your own house has fallen in value, thereby limiting how much you could spend to "upgrade."

• sabadabada said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

so true...Im 39, my savings used to be in the 5 digits and my retirement funds also in the 5-digits, but 4 years of only being able to have part time work made short work of that...my major decisions have been skewed by the current situation...decisions like not having kids, probably ever...not buying a house because it is a really bad investment (you basically take a five digit down payment and flush it down the toilet to secure a loan on a depreciating investment, doesnt sound wise to me) so my goal now is to remain debt free and to not, in any circumstances, rely on credit for anything...

This is the original post I was responding to. Hook up said that the current economy ment he may never buy a home because it was a bad investment.

• sabadabada said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

so true...Im 39, my savings used to be in the 5 digits and my retirement funds also in the 5-digits, but 4 years of only being able to have part time work made short work of that...my major decisions have been skewed by the current situation...decisions like not having kids, probably ever...not buying a house because it is a really bad investment (you basically take a five digit down payment and flush it down the toilet to secure a loan on a depreciating investment, doesnt sound wise to me) so my goal now is to remain debt free and to not, in any circumstances, rely on credit for anything...

This is the original post I was responding to. Hook up said that the current economy meant he may never buy a home because it was a bad investment.

Ah, I see.

Well, a bad investment doesn't mean you shouldn't buy some place that shelters you.

A home isn't an investment--it's a roof over your head.

• mannybolone said:
    Ah, I see.

Well, a bad investment doesn't mean you shouldn't buy some place that shelters you.

I read a study that renters spend less on housing in their lifetime than homeowners and people who are able to pay off their homes is dropping every year...also homeowners lose mobility, unable to pick up and leave if greater opportunities occur elsewhere...just doesn't seem better than renting at this point in history.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Saba doesn't have to wait 6 months to have a bridge to sell us.

The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:
    Ah, I see.

I read a study that renters spend less on housing in their lifetime than homeowners and people who are able to pay off their homes is dropping every year...also homeowners lose mobility, unable to pick up and leave if greater opportunities occur elsewhere...just doesn't seem better than renting at this point in history.

This is all true and I would never suggest that home owning is always a better *economic* option than renting. That said, the point here is that a *home* provides things that go beyond a balance sheet and therefore, whether you own that home vs. are renting it is important to some people.

• I fail to see how a deflated housing market and some of the lowest interest rates ever equate to not a good time to buy. . If you are a first time home buyer this situation coupled with the tax credit was probably the greater investment opportunities one would ever see. I don't see how paying a landlord to build equity or building your own equity with a monthly payment would be any question or maybe i'm missing something? From a supply and demand standpoint, I don't see how owning land in a major metropolitan is NOT a good look, but again, i am open to the fact i am missing something.

The last time in US history you could get this 30 year rate was 1959.

The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:
    Ah, I see.

If you are renting an apartment you're sharing your home with all the other renters in the respect that regardless of what you do, the other renters can have a negative effect on your life in areas like hygiene(roaches, etc.), liability(fire, flood, etc.), privacy and even things as silly as odor(if your neighbor likes to cook curry and chitlins you better like the smell of curry and chitlins).

If you are renting a home chances are you're making the homeowners house payment for them although they usually still maintain the property.

Owning a home CAN be a good investment and plenty of people cleaned up in the housing market over the last 15-20 years. Greed in a variety of places caused the market to crash/bottom out and the pendulum has swung the other way which is to be expected. Just like any other investment, do your homework and spend wisely. Your investment may not increase in value, but it has a greater than zero chance it will while renting has zero chance of paying dividends.

Isn't the tax credit over? Expired in April I thought? That's why (supposedly) home buying rates slowed last month for both used and new housing.