Bands whose entire catalog you'd like to see wiped from the planet

1235»

Comments

• Army Of Lovers
    Limp Bizkit

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    fryer_motherfunk said:
    To counteract this horrible thread I sat down this morning and enjoyed Yellow Brick Road from beginning to end in 5.1 sacd and it was glorious. How arrogant is it to think about wiping out the soundtrack to someone else life. Remember many of your favourite private press oddity's are actually just shit, at least Aqua fans have the decency not to tell you.

Thank you.

This thread is a reason I rarely even check Soulstrut anymore.. unless i am REALLY REALLY bored. Honestly, let people make music and release music and if it sucks don't listen to it.

• Options
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:
    To counteract this horrible thread I sat down this morning and enjoyed Yellow Brick Road from beginning to end in 5.1 sacd and it was glorious. How arrogant is it to think about wiping out the soundtrack to someone else life. Remember many of your favourite private press oddity's are actually just shit, at least Aqua fans have the decency not to tell you.

Thank you.

This thread is a reason I rarely even check Soulstrut anymore.. unless i am REALLY REALLY bored. Honestly, let people make music and release music and if it sucks don't listen to it.

So should there be no such thing as a negative review?

Seems to be what you're saying.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

DUDE.

Hippy sentiments all over up in this bith.

Fryer, you been hitting the Sanatogen a bit too hard again?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with criticism or even negativity - not everyone can like everything. But when people can't be bothered attempting criticism that's constructive or informed, or the negativity is just for the sake of it and not even witty enough to raise a smile...well, what's the point of that?

Oh, and btw, plaese to not be mistaking this for some tenderberries shit. Other people's tastes and peeves are their business, but I do find it funny how some folks will spend more time and energy telling you what it is they don't like, rather than what they do like. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I really don't see any point in that.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Well you can at least derive some conclusions from the responses. So there is a point to it.

A not particularly scientific trawl through the thread reveals that a large proportion of the hated bands are British. And that a large proportion of the haters are American.

Analysis of possible reasons:

1) the named British bands are shite
    2) Americans have xenophobic tendencies and there are more British bands in the world than other foreign ones
    3) Americans have Anglophobic tendencies
    4) there are proportionately more British bands in the world than non-British ones, as a total of the world's bands
    5) Americans Just Don't Get It.

I wonder which one is nearest to the truth.

• Options
    DocMcCoy said:
    PelvicDust said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with criticism or even negativity - not everyone can like everything. But when people can't be bothered attempting criticism that's constructive or informed, or the negativity is just for the sake of it and not even witty enough to raise a smile...well, what's the point of that?

Oh, and btw, plaese to not be mistaking this for some tenderberries shit. Other people's tastes and peeves are their business, but I do find it funny how some folks will spend more time and energy telling you what it is they don't like, rather than what they do like. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I really don't see any point in that.

Yeah, I'd have to go with "because you're old."

This is a music board and people routinely rave about things they like without "attempting criticism that's constructive or informed." You're demanding a different standard for negativity, and that's just very tenderberry. Unless there's someplace I missed where you chided a cheerleader for not being "constructive or informed" or "even witty enough to raise a smile."

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    PelvicDust said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

This is a music board and people routinely rave about things they like without "attempting criticism that's constructive or informed." You're demanding a different standard for negativity, and that's just very tenderberry. Unless there's someplace I missed where you chided a cheerleader for not being "constructive or informed" or "even witty enough to raise a smile."

That's some classic 'just not getting it'. The reason this place is/was a class above your standard music chat message board thing, is the fact that the criticism, positive and negative, is/was constructive or informed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    PelvicDust said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

Yeah, but you specifically referred to negative reviews, thus making a point (or so I presumed) about the nature of criticism rather than the less formal expression of opinion, enthusiastic or otherwise. Which is where I came in. I mean, mannybolone or noz might say such-and-such a record sucks on here, but if they're writing about it in a professional capacity, they're probably going to be a little more expansive than just, "This shit sucks, yo".

I'm not demanding a different standard for anything, although I do believe that it's not enough just to say something's shit - you need to be able to say why it's shit. If someone is going to dismiss the Beach Boys entire oeuvre as, oh, I dunno, "whitebread glee-club Chuck Berry rip-offs", or write off Steely Dan as, let's say, "muso-wank stereo demonstration snooze-rock", then I might conclude that person didn't know what the fuck they were talking about. If I felt like displaying a little more generosity of spirit, I might say to myself, "Well, perhaps that person just hasn't listened to enough of it". But like I said in an earlier post, life's too short. You don't like it? Fine. K.I.M. Me, I can't abide Michael Bolton, but I'm damned if I'm going to waste my time hating him.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Teh 5 Jacksons
    Hart Black Key 'N Teh Jazz Mess and Jerkz
    Coke, Syrup & Gas
    Wuong -N- 'em
    Sade

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    skel said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

DUDE.

Hippy sentiments all over up in this bith.

Fryer, you been hitting the Sanatogen a bit too hard again?

I don't mind being called a hippy. Hippies have fun most of the time.

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    PelvicDust said:
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

That's some classic 'just not getting it'. The reason this place is/was a class above your standard music chat message board thing, is the fact that the criticism, positive and negative, is/was constructive or informed.

Sorry, I see plenty of pure cheerleading here with no attempt at anything else.

If it's okay to say, "This band is great!" and basically nothing else then it should be okay to occasionally have a thread like this one without it inciting blood, sweat and tears.

• Options
    DocMcCoy said:
    I'm not demanding a different standard for anything, although I do believe that it's not enough just to say something's shit - you need to be able to say why it's shit. If someone is going to dismiss the Beach Boys entire oeuvre as, oh, I dunno, "whitebread glee-club Chuck Berry rip-offs", or write off Steely Dan as, let's say, "muso-wank stereo demonstration snooze-rock", then I might conclude that person didn't know what the fuck they were talking about. If I felt like displaying a little more generosity of spirit, I might say to myself, "Well, perhaps that person just hasn't listened to enough of it". But like I said in an earlier post, life's too short. You don't like it? Fine. K.I.M. Me, I can't abide Michael Bolton, but I'm damned if I'm going to waste my time hating him.

I'm not seeing much hate here, just goofing. It's not like the thread wasn't clearly marked for what it was all about. The title puts up a road flare that should have been an easy-to-spot stay-away- warning for people who don't like this sort of thing.

If there were a Michael Bolton Appreciation thread, would you even go into it? It seems like you're wasting your time by clicking on a thread you know you won't like.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    catalist said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:

Thank you.

^^LIKES ICP^^

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    PHISH

Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney did a pretty funny blog series on trying to get into Phish by listening to nothing but Phish for a week straight.

Phish Experiment

Buying My First Ever Phish CDs from Carrie Brownstein on Vimeo.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hello friends,

Eiffel 65
    Nickelback
    Aqua

are the groups that immediately come to mind. I can see how some might like these groups, but I find their sounds irritating.

Kindly,
    parallax

• None

peace, stein. . .

• bassie said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

bryan adams, ryan adams and bruce springsteen can all get tae fuck.

No.
    You need to do so some homework.

i'm afraid my privaterkopfgarten admitted paul simon but banned brucie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When you put it like that.....it's so much harder to accept.

differences make the world go round, differences make the world go round, differences make the world go round, differences make the world go round, differences make the world go round, differences make the world go round...

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    markus71 said:
    Anything with Bernard Purdie on drums. Lousy chops.

I prefer Idris Muhammad. I don't like his playing much either but I'm curious to know a little more why you don't like him ...

• minimini 879 Posts
    Bon Jovi
    One of the most boring bands in the history of music.

• Options
    DrWu said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    PHISH

Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney did a pretty funny blog series on trying to get into Phish by listening to nothing but Phish for a week straight.

Phish Experiment

Buying My First Ever Phish CDs from Carrie Brownstein on Vimeo.

Speaking of which, I'd probably crash my own car on purpose if forced to listen to nothing but Sleater-Kinney for a week. :lol:

• Kinetic said:
    My lone vote goes to Jamiroquai.
    major cosine
    coked up ferrrari driving midget