Thriller on ebay

markus71markus71 937 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
What the hell is going on with that Thriller record on ebay? I've seen copies go for four figures on the bay. Even non-sealed ones that have been played.Why would anyone drop that much on a record that sold over 40 million copies?

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I wonder what tickets for the shows he had planned in Uk would go for. surely they'd have collector status now?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BUY IT NOW OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!
    NICEST COPY WE'VE EVER SEEN!

RAER

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    a storeowner I know sold a bulk lot of 70 VG+/NM Thrillers for 7 bills

he told me he had lots more

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    A friend of mine works at a large second hand store in Amsterdam. Over the last 5 years or so, a guy has been buying up all the copies of Thriller that came in. He got them for like 50 cents a piece.
    I bet he's cashing in right now.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A friend of mine works at a large second hand store in Amsterdam. Over the last 5 years or so, a guy has been buying up all the copies of Thriller that came in. He got them for like 50 cents a piece.
    I bet he's cashing in right now.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I picked up a Mint copy of the rare Australian picture sleeve 12" of thriller the week before MJ passed. I've sold this for around US$150 in the past... I wonder what I could get for it now.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've noticed it as well... "Thriller" can conservatively fetch $30-40 right now. These people obviously don't buy vinyl regularly. If they really cared so much, they had 25 years to score a copy for a buck.

But really, isn't "Thriller" still in your local dollar bins?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What I find funny is that ebay seems to be existing in a bubble for this phenomenon - because if you go to gemm or discogs it appears to be business as usual, with normal prices still fairly prevelant.

• I wonder what tickets for the shows he had planned in UK would go for. surely they'd have collector status now?
    they aren't going for anything, ebay UK have banned them from being sold, even as collectors items, and the copies that sold before will be getting refunded by ebay sellers and from the ticketmaster seller who originally sold the tickets. But you can guarantee some people will keep them as collectors items, but i doubt they will get the massive figures his records are getting.

But really, isn't "Thriller" still in your local dollar bins?
    yes, but by dollar bins you mean ??4-??8 bin in the UK.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you have a ticket you can exchange it for a refund OR some special holographic souvenir ticket thingy. Which is some damn clever marketing shenanigans.

The fans paid, what, ??50/80 for the ticket, now they can either have that money back, or, you can have the extra special shinny souvenir ticket, that only cost the promoters 50 pence to produce, (but you may be able to sell it on ebay for a tun of cash).

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    can't knock the hustle.....

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I wonder what my Thriller pic disc could fetch

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

Probably $$15- 20

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    haha

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If you have a ticket you can exchange it for a refund OR some special holographic souvenir ticket thingy. Which is some damn clever marketing shenanigans.

The fans paid, what, ??50/80 for the ticket, now they can either have that money back, or, you can have the extra special shinny souvenir ticket, that only cost the promoters 50 pence to produce, (but you may be able to sell it on ebay for a tun of cash).

There's a certain financial necessity to this from AEG's point of view, though. There are mounting rumours that the entire season of MJ shows was massively under-insured - many of the shows may not have been insured at all - and that the promoters will be wiped out by the events of last Thursday. B-b-b-but wait, it gets worse. If it's found that MJ was administering drugs to himself, then the existing insurance could be invalidated altogether.

• give it a month or two and they will be right back to $3 a copy will be $2 a copy

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

There's a certain financial necessity to this from AEG's point of view, though. There are mounting rumours that the entire season of MJ shows was massively under-insured - many of the shows may not have been insured at all - and that the promoters will be wiped out by the events of last Thursday. B-b-b-but wait, it gets worse. If it's found that MJ was administering drugs to himself, then the existing insurance could be invalidated altogether.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    give it a month or two and they will be right back to $3 a copy will be $2 a copy

Will it even take that long?

I'm actually genuinely curious about how these things work since I'm assuming that a lot of people buying the records now don't normally buy records although, presumably, they still actually own a record player.

But what happens once the fever is over (which will be soon)? Do they now look at their $30 copy of "Thriller" and have a change of heart, in which case, are we going to see a flood of "Thrillers" back into record bins? Or will the amataur grippers try hold onto them, trying to make back their money, only to realize: oops, that doesn't happen with an album that sells 26M?

• give it a month or two and they will be right back to $3 a copy will be $2 a copy

Will it even take that long?

I'm actually genuinely curious about how these things work since I'm assuming that a lot of people buying the records now don't normally buy records although, presumably, they still actually own a record player.

But what happens once the fever is over (which will be soon)? Do they now look at their $30 copy of "Thriller" and have a change of heart, in which case, are we going to see a flood of "Thrillers" back into record bins? Or will the amataur grippers try hold onto them, trying to make back their money, only to realize: oops, that doesn't happen with an album that sells 26M?

no it wont even take a month IMO. As you said and everyone knows, Thriller is the biggest selling record of all time, so there is no problem with short supply, the prices have been inflated due to a rush in demand by inexperienced young collectros jumping on a bandwagon or old folks who want the records as nostalgia, either way the people paying $100 for copies of off the wall thinking its a record that will be on the walls of every record shop are gonna be incredibly ass-hurt when they see it in the dollar bins again come mid july.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I've NEVER seen a sealed Thriller in the field.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    But my question: so what happens to those hundreds (thousands?) of overpriced "Thrillers"? This is not a question of any significance, I'm just interested in the psychology of bubble economies and at least this one won't, you know, destroy the nation.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Probably $$15- 20

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Jackson-Thri...alenotsupported

oof

• But my question: so what happens to those hundreds (thousands?) of overpriced "Thrillers"? This is not a question of any significance, I'm just interested in the psychology of bubble economies and at least this one won't, you know, destroy the nation.
    they will drop back to their original value when people realise what they bought was nothing but a load of hype. The people who paid top dollar will try to sell them to salvage any money they can from their "investments" whilst the prices are still high, yet this would increase their supply further, causing the market price of them to drop further leading to more panic and more people selling their copies.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Anecdotally, I can tell you that a LOT of noncollectros I've talked to that buy records don't have a record player.

I'm not looking forward to these people trying to sell their Thrillers to the store I work at and acting like I'm trying to rob them when I offer $1.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I'm not looking forward to these people trying to sell their Thrillers to the store I work at and acting like I'm trying to rob them when I offer $1.

already happening, but from folks trying to make a quick buck...had a dude laugh at me and tell me I dont know my business when I told him we only pay a $1 for that record because we sell it for $3.99...he wouldnt take less than $50 for it. Then I laughed at him.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

already happening, but from folks trying to make a quick buck...had a dude laugh at me and tell me I dont know my business when I told him we only pay a $1 for that record because we sell it for $3.99...he wouldnt take less than $50 for it. Then I laughed at him.

I had this happen once with a lady when I offered her a buck for a Tom Petty record. TOM PETTY!

This may be a "Blue Vinyl Elvis" thing for years to come... as in "I got an Elvis record on BLUE VINYL, what will you give me for it?"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't believe people are buying as an investment, people buying MJ rekkids aren't collectors, just crazy MJ fans. They want it now and don't care about the price.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I had this happen once with a lady when I offered her a buck for a Tom Petty record. TOM PETTY!

This may be a "Blue Vinyl Elvis" thing for years to come... as in "I got an Elvis record on BLUE VINYL, what will you give me for it?"

Ha! This happens here all the time, once a lady told us that she had her blue vinyl Elvis appraised for $15,000(!!!!) when we told her we would give her a $1 for it max, if it was mint. Andrew told her that she should buy the 27 copies we have for $5 a piece, and then she could be a very rich woman.

• i agree, they aren't investments but any mj fan worth their salt would have already had these records. I think its partly opportunistic people, they see thriller for $4, see it selling on ebay for $40 so they want a slice of that nice quick buck.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    But my question: so what happens to those hundreds (thousands?) of overpriced "Thrillers"? This is not a question of any significance, I'm just interested in the psychology of bubble economies and at least this one won't, you know, destroy the nation.
    they will drop back to their original value when people realise what they bought was nothing but a load of hype. The people who paid top dollar will try to sell them to salvage any money they can from their "investments" whilst the prices are still high, yet this would increase their supply further, causing the market price of them to drop further leading to more
    panic[/b] and more people selling their copies.

Holy shit, it's going to be the housing collapse all over again.

THANKS MJ