Canadian Beheader Gets Institutionalized (NRR)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Letting that Bus Butcherer go to the mental institution instead of jail for life. Well played. Justice served. He could eventually get out too, awesome!

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well, is there any way dude is NOT mentally insane?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Letting that Bus Butcherer go to the mental institution instead of jail for life. Well played. Justice served. He could eventually get out too, awesome!

Where's your compassion.....he has an illness.....just like drug & alcohol addiction and pedophilia....he can't help it that he likes to cut peoples heads off and make hand puppets out of them.....I'm sure with some counseling and love he can become a contributing member of society.

b/w

Texas offed it's 10th Death Row inmate of the year last night....on pace for 52 in '09.

• the essence of criminal liability is commonly defined as blame + harm. simply put, we cannot blame mentally ill people in the same way as those who can appreciate the quality and the consequences of their acts.

in Canada we don't imprison people who are insane nor do we execute them and for that matter, we don;t imprison people indefinitely without charge in legal black holes nor do we torture.

just because there is a faint possibility he could be released in the future doesn't mean that it will ever happen. charles manson may be up for parole or release or whatever periodically but do you think they are ever going to let him out?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Manson was convicted in a court of law.

This dude has a chance, however small, to get out and is not being punished for what he did to a family and an innocent victim.

He attempted to commandeer the bus and get away when the authorities arrived. However mentally insane dude is, he showed a level of cognizance there that could counteract his mental insanity, imo.

The trial called two witnesses total testifying to the level of insanity of dude. None of the riders of the bus, no authorities, no friends. Shit is mega bogus.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He attempted to commandeer the bus and get away when the authorities arrived. However mentally insane dude is, he showed a level of cognizance there that should counteract his mental insanity, imo.

I'm no lawyer but I know a little bit, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't detract from the argument that he's not mentally stable enough to stand trial.

I feel you dude, I just think 2 witnesses and a 2 day trial is kinda garbage for an act of brutality this grave. It seems like the Canadian gov't wants this incident to just go away.

• His complete insanity was so cut and dried, there was no shred of doubt.

being convicted of capital murder and getting the full tariff means that at most one will be incarcerated for a term not exceeding 25 years. hospital orders are indefinite; there is simply no way this man will ever be released given the heinousness of his acts and the mass public outcry any release would engender.

also, a man who is this sick and dangerous needs to held in a separate facility so he can be separated from other cons. obviously this person needs to be monitored by health care professionals at all times.

finally, just because one is able to operate a motor vehicle (or attempt to at least) or sharpen a knife or go the store to buy bullets doesn't mean that one isn't bat-shit insane.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the Canadian government did not preside over this case. as well, it took place in a provincial court (Manitoba), not a federal court.

Adjudication of a murder/insanity trial should not be quicker than a shoplifting trial. The family of the murder victim did not get justice.
    I feel that insanity as a defense should be dispensed with, so I guess this trial was of particular interest to me and pissed me off more than usual.

• Way to go Manitoba!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    thank you.

It was in Canada presided over by Canadian citizens regarding Canadian citizenry structured in Canadian law and contained in a Canadian judicial system.

• Adjudication of a murder/insanity trial should not be quicker than a shoplifting trial. The family of the murder victim did not get justice.
    I feel that insanity as a defense should be dispensed with, so I guess this trial was of particular interest to me and pissed me off more than usual.

although you seem to feel passionately about what you're saying may i respectfully suggest you don;t know what you're talking about whatsoever.

I can have an impassioned opinion separate from the realities of life. I do know what I'm talking about, so does the family who have stated they feel justice was not served. Do not impugn a person's intelligence you know nothing about.

• It was in Canada presided over by Canadian citizens regarding Canadian citizenry structured in Canadian law and contained in a Canadian judicial system.

Dude, you sound ridiculous.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The family of the murder victim did not get justice.

Is this Law or Emotions?

The family of the murder victim did not get justice.

Is this Law or Emotions?

Hella emotions.

• Manitoba is obviously the Canadian love child of Berkeley and Yellow Springs put together.

• I can have an impassioned opinion separate from the realities of life. I do know what I'm talking about, so does the family who have stated they feel justice was not served. Do not impugn a person's intelligence you know nothing about.

you are entitled to your opinion: it just happens to be grossly misinformed, arcane and paranoid. i am not trying to impugn your intelligence (or lack thereof); i am just saying you are talking some complete shit here...

I was poppin shit cuz I was mad after reading the story. Technically, I don't know what else the court could've done other than held court a little longer to make it appear as if there was more effort and thought involved. I guess I had a Nancy Grace moment cuz I feel bad for the family.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    obviously this person needs to be monitored by health care professionals at all times.

What do I need to do to get this??

You know, just to make sure I don't get cancer or an ingrown toenail.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ummm, I'm betting the reason why this didn't go any longer is because both the Crown and the defence have argued Li can't be held responsible because he is mentally ill. Even the Crown's own psych witness concluded that Li should be found not criminally responsible for his actions based on his mental state.

I'm not sure how there was going to be a longer trial?

I'm betting this dude doesn't get out any time soon and spends more time in there than Karla homolka ever spent in jail.

More insight here

http://dahnbatchelorsopinions.blogspot.com/2009/03/is-vince-li-really-insane-or-his.html

"Crown lawyer Joyce Dalmyn said the court didn't even need to hear from psychiatrists who testified that Li didn't realize that killing and defiling McLean was wrong. She said, and I quote;

"He was out of touch with reality. He believed God was telling him to kill the evil force beside him ... He could not differentiate between wrong and right.""

I feel really bad for the fam. for this atrocious random act of violence and got caught up in it being a Canada thing when it ain't.
    In terms of longer trial, it just seems kind've brisk is all.
    Sorry to all Canadians on the board.

• In terms of longer trial, it just seems kind've brisk is all.

judges and lawyers who are doing their jobs properly are always trying to keep the process moving along. when a case is so cut and dried and all the experts and attorneys are in complete agreement what is the purpose of drawing out the proceedings? The resources of the criminal justice system are not infinite. we tend not to have show trials here, although that is not always true.

of course, this is a tragic case and the families of all involved deserve complete sympathy but insanity is a legitimate defence that is recognized in every common law country that i am aware of.

I hate the insanity defense. Not that there aren't insane people out there, it's just so hard to truly prove beyond a reasonable doubt someone is crazy and not just saving their bacon.
    I can compare (slightly) the insanity defense to the sleepwalking defense, used in the recent past by some dude from the Toronto area I believe, who said he killed his inlaws while sleepwalking (one guy from the UK, one guy from Arizona or something as well). It's just incredibly hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Perhaps Canadian law doesn't require reasonable doubt?
    I just don't like it is all.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Mental illness is not the same as incapacity.

I compare them only becuz they're both marginal and they both in my opinion suck.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Im saying that a person can be mentally ill, and still have the capacity to stand trial and be found culpable for their crimes.

I gotcha. Gradations of mental illness, what incapacitates and what doesn't. It makes law seemingly much more grey. It sounds incredibly stupid, but I just don't like it. I don't trust psychiatry or psychology as an exact science.