OOP Hip-Hop that’s really worth collecting

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I just picked up "Basement Flavor" last week. Not rare or anything, but I like this one.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    T"991 Volts" or something.

That was an incredible record.

And 99% of the kids on here who fancy themselves hip-hop heads/collectors don't even know what it is.

The game's fucked up right now.

therefore you should tell these "kids" about it, and not just drop an obscure title w/o any info.

No doubt... just so you know, I didn't mean anything by saying "kids"... that's just the way I talk.

991 volts... not really any info as to who these dudes were/are... but this was a big joint in NYC when it came out. Got a lot of play on Red Alert and such. Of course, did not make it beyond the 5 boroughs, if even that. I didn't even find out about it until 1997 or so. Dope "bounce" groove (not bounce like NOLA, bounce like early 90s "fast rap" or whatever). The MC as far as I know faded into obscurity.

NYC/Tri State heads are seeking this out. It has a horrendous cover that looks like Madonna or freestyle or something... that might have had to do with why it didn't sell and also why people skip over it. I've found several copies over the years for pennies because people assume it sucks based on the cover. When it was on my wall up until a few days ago people had no idea what it was. It is now in the able hands of a real NYC super-producer. We have a few more copies though...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I find that I really only enjoy listening to hip hop that is out of print.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Dope "bounce" groove (not bounce like NOLA, bounce like early 90s "fast rap" or whatever).

sounds like some dope freestyle dance wrecking shop in brooklyn heat.

Why would Non-NYers know this though? I mean the only people outside of the Tri-State that would know it would be the same type of "Rap-ologist" cornballs that would get clowned.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

And 99% of the kids on here who fancy themselves hip-hop heads/collectors don't even know what it is.

therefore you should tell these "kids" about it, and not just drop an obscure title w/o any info.

No doubt... just so you know, I didn't mean anything by saying "kids"... that's just the way I talk.

991 volts... not really any info as to who these dudes were/are... but this was a big joint in NYC when it came out. Got a lot of play on Red Alert and such. Of course, did not make it beyond the 5 boroughs, if even that. I didn't even find out about it until 1997 or so. Dope "bounce" groove (not bounce like NOLA, bounce like early 90s "fast rap" or whatever). The MC as far as I know faded into obscurity.

NYC/Tri State heads are seeking this out. It has a horrendous cover that looks like Madonna or freestyle or something... that might have had to do with why it didn't sell and also why people skip over it. I've found several copies over the years for pennies because people assume it sucks based on the cover. When it was on my wall up until a few days ago people had no idea what it was. It is now in the able hands of a real NYC super-producer. We have a few more copies though...

Is this the same record as 991 volts of noise on B-Boy Records?

thanx

h

Kingmost - We were just talking about this the other day... back when I first got into this dudes would research heavily... I mean, trust me that dudes like Beni, Chris, etc would know this... I think Gabe knows this record... but anyway, this whole internet thing (despite having SO much info available) kind of has discouraged kids from researching about records.

I think Yuichi got hot at me because he was made to feel small for not knowing the "Bad To The Bone" Remix... not to put dude out there... at one point I did not know this either... but back then, everyone was endeavoring to find out as much as they could. As soon as I heard it in a club I went and found out what it was and grabbed the next copy I saw. Dudes these days seem to not do that as much.

HAZ - no this is a different record we are talking about. Same group though.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts

In the spirit of that comment, here's osme shit that I think people should seek out- my opinion, but worth having

Sugar Ray & Stranger Dee- Knock Em Out Sugar ray- First to use the "Kelly's Heroes" break, and the best still. Morphed into the Double XX Posse

Da Phalyva- Phlayva for them All- This is a dope dope album, in the Pharcyde, Yaggfu tradition. Great production and some playful manic energy to the vocals.

YZ- Sons of the Father- You Need this. If you don't have it, find it listen and covet.

Anttex & The Click- Everyone knows "Understand me Vanessa". But the album has some crazy production and offbeat rhyme schemes that were a few years prior the full Native Tongues onslaught.

Scaramanga- Seven Eyes Seven Horns- This album was delayed so many times that even seeing a copy these days is an event. Great production, excellent songwriting and dope guest appearences.

In the spirit of that comment, here's osme shit that I think people should seek out- my opinion, but worth having

Sugar Ray & Stranger Dee- Knock Em Out Sugar ray- First to use the "Kelly's Heroes" break, and the best still. Morphed into the Double XX Posse

Jersey City's finest! Yeah man that is a dope cut. I will add on:

Markey Fresh - Mack Of Rap. Flavor unit MC that never got much shine beyond this cut but it is super dope. 45 King production

Dismasters - Small Time Hustler. I thought everyone knew this, as heard on ego trip's comp, but even so... one of the best rap records I own

Deuces Wild - Deuces Is Def. First appearance of Funkmaster Flex? Word is he hates this cut. Anyway, super tough BX styles and cut up KC & The sunshine band "If he was other than human he'd be a saw"

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I like Zhigge "Raking in the Dough" (original and remix) and "Toss it Up." The album is kind of meh but the singles are good. Avee used to play Rakin in the Dough everytime he djed, and I heard Flex play it over the 4th of July mixmasters weekend on Hot 97 (doubling up the "uptown bounce" chant on the intro until it was annoying).

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    you should honestly just listen and make your own opinions on stuff. alots of us around here just like stuff because it reminds us of certain life events. also, alot of stuff i didn't like when it came out i really love now. for example ultramags first album is now a fav of mine but when it came out it was too experimental for me. and i didn't like p.e. at first either. so everyone has an opinion. apples and oranges dude. peace, stein. . .

• The 991 Volts is a very good 12".

It reminds me of some lost native tongues type of joint, ill 117 bpm steez...ya gotta get past the "go go go go go go..." at the intro though

One of my favorite "obscure hip-hop" 12" is the Busy Boys "Classical".

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Scaramanga- Seven Eyes Seven Horns- This album was delayed so many times that even seeing a copy these days is an event. Great production, excellent songwriting and dope guest appearences.

i'm glad i actually found one record in this thread that i've heard of.

cool...

• GoblahGoblah 35 Posts
    The real question is why are you collecting obscure hip-hop if you know nothing about the genre? Are you familiar with the basics, ie Native Tongue, Sugar Hill, Enjoy, EPMD, etc?

For sure. I already am familiar with, or have, these. See, I considered the early 90s standards to be the Native Tongues, D.I.T.C., Hieroglyphics - not to mention the established acts like Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, BDP/KRS, Kane, EPMD, and then on the West Cube, Dre, Ren, Quik etc. But there are some lesser knowns who really passed me by during that period. And maybe it has something to do with being in South Africa, that a lot of the less commercially successful releases didn't make it here. Still, I consider a lot of what I have mentioned above to be unknown to the casual fan. But I think it is that knowledge which separates the collector from the casual fan. And that's, in a way, what I'm trying to get at.

One more thing, I'm not trying to be down for your sake, but for mine. I want to know what else is out there that I missed out on, that I really should be hipped to.

PEACE
    Goblah

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    You might already be familiar with the usual suspects: Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid. The list is long.

Of the groups you named, I think Yaggfu Front is the only one that I would consider of interest to the not-so-hardcore rap collector. Some of the other groups have a dope song here and there or some quirk of note, and Zhigge and Hard 2 Obtain have solid production on all their stuff, but Yaggfu made a truly unique, well-rounded (beats, lyrics, concepts), slept-on album. I even like the cd of b-sides and unreleased material through the late ninteties they put out a few years ago.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Boogiemonsters to me was an incredible album. Probably because I didn't have to rediscover it and I actually heard it at the time it was released. Bronx Bombaz still gets a lot of bump from me.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Chilltown stand up! Ready to Roll are some real Jersey legends and this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Remember when they played "Not Gon Be Able to Do" on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air? When Scram made that beat for Remy Ma with the same Mike Curb sample, I was like "that's the Knock Em Out Sugar Ray" loop, and people looked at me like I was speaking Hungarian. Is it me, or is the first issue of the "Knock Em Out" 12" that wasn't on Next Plateau mixed differently (hoarder) than the Next Plateau version?

Did anyone mention Funke Natives "Urban Contemporary Jeep Music", or Double J's excellent "Homicide", "Ready to Penetrate" by Sugar Bear, the second JVC album with "Stop and Listen" on it, Chosen Ones, Seeborn and Puma, all the Flavor Unit records with Lord Alibaski and Lakim and Apache, Chill Rob G's entire catalogue, Noel Rockwell and Poet, "King Kut" by Word of Mouth with DJ Cheese? All classic records that are not, at all "random". I think it's silly that someone who doesn't have these real underground classics would be after some of the retarded "random rap" that some folls are so wet for. Oh and Flatlinerz is the worst shit EVER.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Boogiemonsters to me was an incredible album. Probably because I didn't have to rediscover it and I actually heard it at the time it was released. Bronx Bombaz still gets a lot of bump from me.

agreed. 'old man jacob's well' gets my vote for creepiest hiphop song.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Chilltown stand up! Ready to Roll are some real Jersey legends and this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Remember when they played "Not Gon Be Able to Do" on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air? When Scram made that beat for Remy Ma with the same Mike Curb sample, I was like "that's the Knock Em Out Sugar Ray" loop, and people looked at me like I was speaking Hungarian. Is it me, or is the first issue of the "Knock Em Out" 12" that wasn't on Next Plateau mixed differently (hoarder) than the Next Plateau version?

Did anyone mention Funke Natives "Urban Contemporary Jeep Music", or Double J's excellent "Homicide", "Ready to Penetrate" by Sugar Bear, the second JVC album with "Stop and Listen" on it, Chosen Ones, Seeborn and Puma, all the Flavor Unit records with Lord Alibaski and Lakim and Apache, Chill Rob G's entire catalogue, Noel Rockwell and Poet, "King Kut" by Word of Mouth with DJ Cheese? All classic records that are not, at all "random". I think it's silly that someone who doesn't have these real underground classics would be after some of the retarded "random rap" that some folls are so wet for. Oh and Flatlinerz is the worst shit EVER.

Jonny, this is a very good look for you.

Who's got Jeep Music for me? Any form.

Have a nice day.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Jonny, this is a very good look for you.

Who's got Jeep Music for me? Any form.

Have a nice day.

I am not Jonny, I am Zvi...I got one Jeep Music wax (for me) and an MP3 that I can send you. PM me your email.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    there so much goodness on that first boogiemonsters lp.

honeydips.strange.recognized thresholds.etc.

oldmanjacobwillkillyourchildren.

• Did anyone mention Funke Natives "Urban Contemporary Jeep Music", or Double J's excellent "Homicide", "Ready to Penetrate" by Sugar Bear, the second JVC album with "Stop and Listen" on it, Chosen Ones, Seeborn and Puma, all the Flavor Unit records with Lord Alibaski and Lakim and Apache, Chill Rob G's entire catalogue, Noel Rockwell and Poet, "King Kut" by Word of Mouth with DJ Cheese? All classic records that are not, at all "random". I think it's silly that someone who doesn't have these real underground classics would be after some of the retarded "random rap" that some folls are so wet for. Oh and Flatlinerz is the worst shit EVER.

All classic records that are not, at all "random".

Word UMAD, most of those are songs that I go back and listen to on the regular. I remember the Funke Natives video on Rap City back in the day, always looked for that 12" but never found it. Another one that I was listening to the other night was Big Trax by JVC.

Does anyone have a 991Volts mp3 for me?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    You need to get Da King and I - 'Contemporary Jeep Music'. That's a good album on the same label as Yall So Stupid - 'Van Full of Pakistans', which I also think is good. Don't get the other LP Rowdy Records put out around this time though. Illegal - 'The Untold Truth'. It's shite. Child rappers are never a good idea (unless your name is Chi Ali, you roll with the native tongues and have the Beatnuts do your album), especially if they're trying to sound hardcore, so I'd strongly recommend you avoid this one even though it has a Diamond beat and verse.

Yes.... hit me with your email/aim via PM

• Does anyone have a 991Volts mp3 for me?

could you get that to me as well jonny ? i didnt dub it before i let my copy go

could you get that to me as well jonny ? i didnt dub it before i let my copy go

When you gonna swing by the shop and sell me some of that good jazz?

damn that's that part in American Splendor

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

i'm glad i actually found one record in this thread that i've heard of.

cool...

should definately steal this from the radio station before I leave the city.

(kidding)

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    I heard Flex play it over the 4th of July mixmasters weekend

dude really gets loose on the weekend daytime/afternoon spots. i was driving into the city a while back (memorial day) and he was dropping bombs on the Ill Al Skratch single that wasn't "where my homies" ("i'll take her" maybe?) and a couple other relatively forgotten singles. like the stuff that would be on Video Music Box in 6th or 7th grade. shit was awesome.

dude really gets loose on the weekend daytime/afternoon spots. i was driving into the city a while back (memorial day) and he was dropping bombs on the Ill Al Skratch single that wasn't "where my homies" ("i'll take her" maybe?) and a couple other relatively forgotten singles. like the stuff that would be on Video Music Box in 6th or 7th grade. shit was awesome.

Not to mention his totally random "breakbeat 101" sets... he'll drop UBBs for days on a moment's notice.

That's why when dudes hate on Flex, I'm like... you have never heard Flex.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

His Red Zone-era classics sets at the Tunnel always put my head at dude. He would take a break from the SuperThug or whatevers and rock some serious "Fakin the Funk" and shit. If you never heard that dude at the Tunnel, you never heard him.

Oh, and another jumpofski that people really sleep on is "Uptown's Kickin It", also the undeniable party-starter Rhythm is the Master by Kool Chip and Chuck Chillout. So many more too, and dudes that don't have NONE of this shit are looking for Big Daddy Kane soundalike records from Wisconsin or starting Rap12".com. Dudes on here have so many opinions on hip-hop but never heard the "Bad to the Bone" Remix or whatevs.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    this is probably irrelevant, but what's the story behind that guy named paperboy that had that "ditty" song? it was played on top 40 radio like crazy and i always wondered did he put out an album, cause hearing his style back then seemed different from what else was going on...or probably just what i was listening to

anyhow, back to the topic at hand, i'm still hunting down classics i never really got into back in the day cause they weren't popular where i was. strut recommendations of above the law's livin like hustlers and d.o.c.'s nobody does it better, got my ears buzzing and realizing how much stuff i missed out on. go after that sheit and satisfy your ears.