Who Rides For Blackalicious?

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I really like Melodica, Nia and Blazing Arrow.

Never got into "4th Dimensional..." though, surprised so many like it here! I think I'll check it out again, but I remember being underwhelmed when I first heard it.

Didn't like "The Craft" either from what little I remember of it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "Swan Lake" is still one of my favorite joints by them.

Rip One and I did a show with them and The Coup at a Becky & Chad spot in Portland right around the time Nia came out. We went on before Blackalicious and half way through our set two drunk chicks jumped on stage and started taking their tops off. Next thing I know there's a girl at each end of the stage swinging her tetas around to us scratching (over KMD no less).

Strang??

Needless to say, Gab an'em weren't too happy.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I used to be a bigger fan of theirs a few years back, but Gab's style has kinda worn on me, and Xcel's drums are stale. Melodica is the obvious classic, and I don't mind Nia or Blazing Arrow. I have no qualms saying that their last album absolutely BLEW though, and I didn't get into Gab's solo project at all.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Dunno if Gab would write a rhyme like 'Deception' in his current career phase...

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Hit or miss, like stated above. That "Craft" LP plain sucked. Gift of Gabs solo on the other hand... bananas. Melodica was the best, AND DAMN YOU JAMES JOHNSON FOR NEVER GIVING ME MY TAPE BACK!" (shaking fist) Had to damn near pay those crazy prices to get that ish on wax. (worth it though)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    well I think that about wraps up this thread.

Melodica was good; they have since fallen off.

NEXT.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    well I think that about wraps up this thread.

Melodica was good; some might really like Gab's solo[/b], they have since fallen off.

NEXT.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    yes melodica. that mowax one is missing 1 track btw.

yeah, but that Solesides one was a reissue of the mowax and lacked the instrumental record

i just found that a2g ep but its a weird gatefold one with etched out wax in place of where the center sticker usually goes. um, yeah, im not liking it but it looks cool.

their early stuff always had multiple format releases between Mowax/Solesides/MCA

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

yeah, but that Solesides one was a reissue of the mowax and lacked the instrumental record

i just found that a2g ep but its a weird gatefold one with etched out wax in place of where the center sticker usually goes. um, yeah, im not liking it but it looks cool.

their early stuff always had multiple format releases between Mowax/Solesides/MCA

It's all about the JPN issue of "Melodica."

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    I still say that Gab is one of the most technically able MC's ever, even though he could be really anjnoying with it too, but Blazing Arrow defintiely started a downward spiral for the group. I liked about half of BA and I thought The Craft was straight garbage.

I never really checked the Gab solo joint.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I hopped aboard late and copped Blazing Arrow. Ive tried a handfull to times to get into it, but i just couldnt. Dude can rhyme but tends to over-rhyme. The beats were adventurous but never "in there" imo. The singin stuff was terrible.

Too-Smart Rapp.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was going to say I don't own anything after Blazing Arrow, but then remembered I do have The Craft as soon as someone else mentioned it. I ride hard for A2G EP & NIA. Blazing Arrow is 75% good, The Craft I don't even remember it so maybe that is a bad sign? I don't know the Melodica thing, is it early?? They killed it the two times I've seen them live.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't know the Melodica thing, is it early??

I'm not clowning. Just geniunely blown away.

Yeah, it's their first EP and why they gained the attention they have.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    They were good & now not so much. I'd say they fell off when Solesides became Quannum. I wasn't mad for Nia, but it was alright, everything after is kinda ehh... All of their labelmates fell off, too, so I think that contributed to them falling off extra hard. That well has gone dry.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't know the Melodica thing, is it early??

I'm not clowning. Just geniunely blown away.

Yeah, it's their first EP and why they gained the attention they have.
    Yeah, I'm not a "huge" hip-hop head (I like it better than disco though ) I'll have to hunt it down.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    RIDING HARD FOR BLAZING ARROW

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I loved "Blazing Arrow." But I'm from Los Angeles...

Nia and "Swan Lake" are dope too.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    RIDING HARD FOR BLAZING ARROW

Bumping that shit all day in the SD dorm rooms....

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    They were good & now not so much. I'd say they fell off when Solesides became Quannum. I wasn't mad for Nia, but it was alright, everything after is kinda ehh... All of their labelmates fell off, too, so I think that contributed to them falling off extra hard. That well has gone dry.

Yeah, just like the rest of their releases I played Nia a lot on it's release but going back to it now it has a lot of tracks that haven't aged well. I remember playing Blazing Arrow quite a lot when it was released but having revisited it in years - seemed to be very hit and miss and pretty much killed off my remaining interest in the group.

I will still ride for Latryx The Album though.

I hope they treasure
    the endeavor
    like something they never
    saw or will ever
    see together
    that was so clever and write me letters
    sayin' their head hurts
    from the pressure
    on their mental, although they felt as though they left a better person

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    been a huge fan for years and still a huge fan now

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    I thought Blazing Arrow was pretty solid production-wise and actually had a handful of good songs. I remember being hugely disappointed by "Paragraph President", as it was one of the songs Gab did on their Radio Sole mixtape (which is a classic, from the Melodica era). But it's true, they seemed to be losing my interest soon after Blazing came out. I'd be happy if they ever made a resurgence.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yes.

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Up to and including Blazing Arrow = Yes.