Endtroducing vs Donuts

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Plus the fact he died right after adds a certain mysticism for me.

• Comparing apples to oranges?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

two questions:

1 - why the nails on one hand and not on the other?

Since you can only see the trigger finger on that hand I am going to guess that she's pro and is like the opposite of nasty coke pinky dude. Instead of one long coke pinky she's got long nails everywhere but the trigger finger. Pro. Or she was like "fuck it, I'm pull this one off so i can shoot better."

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    II have Entroducing on LP because it's supposed to be so great but I never got it. It always puts me to sleep. I keep it because maybe someday I may realize what's so great about it. (or because it has a scratch so I can't sell it)

Donuts on the other hand is a great listen, over and over. The kind of album that I notice something different every time, listen after listen.

I wouldn't compare them if it wasn't for this thread. Kind of a stretch.

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    endtroducing was and is the standard for instrumental records
    he basically helped to move that whole downtempo beat scene into light.
    dj shadow killed it with that record
    donuts is a great record but does not have the same overall depth as endtroducing.
    the beats and mixes on donuts are good but the beats on endtroducing are epic and huge.
    compare the two on loud ass speakers and the difference is clear.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Maybe to Hip Hoppers but Downtempo existed before that.

• nessness 249 Posts

i mean dude was on mo wax. cmon now. that scene wasn't nothing new. ninja tune, mo wax, shadow records, and a bunch of other people where already doing that. if anything endtroducing comes at the end of that whole trip hop thing.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the apples and oranges comment basically summed it up.

On a side note, you might be interested in my new mix. It's called

"Endtroducing the Donuts"
    featuring Josh and James

Coming soon.

Available at all serious rapidshare, divshare, and z share sites as well as mom and pop blogs world wide.

• he basically helped to move that whole downtempo beat scene into light.

blazing downtempo validated

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

"Endtroducing the Donuts"
    featuring Josh and James

Remixed using only samples from Brian Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Brian Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I SAY RJD2'S DEADRINGER SONS EVERY INSTRUMENTAL HIP-HOP ALBUM EVER.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I SAY RJD2'S DEADRINGER SONS EVERY INSTRUMENTAL HIP-HOP ALBUM EVER.

BAN

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Come on yuchi. As much as i like deadringer half the shit on that album is 4 bar loops. It hardly displays the skill that went into donuts and endtroducing

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Endtroducing and donuts to me are just like the Simpsons and Family Guy. I watch Family Guy more often of late, but in 10 years I can see the Simpsons retaining its classic status and Family Guy fading into the background.

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    ILLBIENT

vs.

TRIP HOP

vs.

INSTRUMENTAL HIP HOP

vs.

BLAZING DOWNTEMPO

vs.

DRUM N BASS

YOU GUYZ!?! Y DOES IT ALLWAYZ HAVE 2 BE A CONTESS? Its all BREAKZ u kno?? DJ Shado is one of the GODFATHERZ of BREAKZ! He is the first DEEJAY ever 2 make a hole record out ov BREAKZ! ALL BREAKZ!! I meen NO 1 else ever did that B4. DONUTS r kool, sometime i huff the cleaners under my moms sinK and pu on doughnutz and I GET SO HI. But stil, Endroducing is made out ov ALL BREAKZ and its ALL ABOUT THA BREAKZ! Fatbak u should no that but i no u dont no alot about BREAKZ and r stil lerning. So i furgive u.

this thread has really opened up the floodgates

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Neither. Give me anything but this wack-ass instrumental ish.

• Donuts was some mad boring shit. Geek down was the only thing that remotely banged and peeps used that sample before anyway.

long stem shits on j dilla's entire ouvre

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    donuts. the Simpsons. Mmmmmm

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

But stil, Endroducing is made out ov ALL BREAKZ and its ALL ABOUT THA BREAKZ! Fatbak u should no that but i no u dont no alot about BREAKZ and r stil lerning. So i furgive u.

LOL, if I've made you a target for schooling, please to forgive me Fatback. Besides, I know sh*t all about rakkords and BREAKZ anyway. Dumb and Bass vindicated.

• THREAD JACK: how do u think oh no - dr. Nos experiment compares to these? apples to oranges?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

haha you funny

THREAD JACK: how do u think oh no - dr. Nos experiment compares to these? apples to oranges?

who?

• Options
    Donuts was some mad boring shit. Geek down was the only thing that remotely banged and peeps used that sample before anyway.

Nerds like you amaze me. Listening to albums to seek out the "banger" and discarding the rest because it's obviously way over your head. I'd say Donuts is my choice here. Not because its musically superior to End. in any respect, but Donuts truly broke away from conventional ways of making a beat album. The way it swayed from adhering to any classic way of quantizing before hand blew me away. End. remained coherent too a "formula" of producing sample based music even though it was groundbreaking, it still stayed within a certain box. On Donuts it seems like Dilla was like "fuck that, imma make this sample fit this tempo I want it too.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    i think i'm the only one here that's never even HEARD endtroducing. or any other of shadows albums for that matter.

Donuts was some mad boring shit. Geek down was the only thing that remotely banged and peeps used that sample before anyway.

Nerds like you amaze me. Listening to albums to seek out the "banger" and discarding the rest because it's obviously way over your head. I'd say Donuts is my choice here. Not because its musically superior to End. in any respect, but Donuts truly broke away from conventional ways of making a beat album. The way it swayed from adhering to any classic way of quantizing before hand blew me away. End. remained coherent too a "formula" of producing sample based music even though it was groundbreaking, it still stayed within a certain box. On Donuts it seems like Dilla was like "fuck that, imma make this sample fit this tempo I want it too.

Your trying to apply two types of approaches of making an album to one another.

And what ive seen of Soulstrut is an alarmingly high number of Dilla-Nerds.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Donuts truly broke away from conventional ways of making a beat album. The way it swayed from adhering to any classic way of quantizing before hand[/b] blew me away [...] On Donuts it seems like Dilla was like "fuck that, imma make this sample fit this tempo I want it too[/b].

REEEE-WIND!!![/b]

revenge of the DUMB'N'BASS! Junglists were t i m e s t r e t c h i n g their samples to new tempos in '93[/b]! Bo selecta! Rastaklaut lively up yourself with that dibby-dibby soundbwoy! This sound will rule the nation! Pass the dutchie when Missy was baby Elliot! Fatback reprezentz!

• Options

Your trying to apply two types of approaches of making an album to one another.

And what ive seen of Soulstrut is an alarmingly high number of Dilla-Nerds.

But my question is, would Shadow of tried this approach back then because it was a style he already heard? He couldn't off because the style wasn't born yet. Nothing like Donuts even closely existed back then. I think because of the whole sample ethics thing that was going on. I think most felt they couldn't use whole vocal portions and bridges in they're beats because of the trendy industry sample clearance laws. So what kind of approach did DJ Shadow take?

• ENTRODUCING

I'm a big DILLA fan,but i always though "DONUTS" was overrated

The beats are all over the place,almost sloppy to an extinct

I liked SOME of "DONUTS" but i'll go SHADOW on this one

Back in 1996 there was really no one making albums like "ENTRODUCING"