Worst Song of the Year

Comments

• Ha..pretty ricky. My homeboy plays that one joint by them "fiiiiiiiiive in the moooooooornin;" and every time I'm like "I like this song..fuck"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^^^thats 'on the hotline'

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    this, the fat joe joint, and the ryan leslie all back to back (with some speeding up on the turnables)

yea, dont know if the ray j is gonna fit in unless u turn him into a chipmunk. fat joe song is kinda awful, i will say that. diamond girl is great.

• this, the fat joe joint, and the ryan leslie all back to back (with some speeding up on the turnables)

yea, dont know if the ray j is gonna fit in unless u turn him into a chipmunk. fat joe song is kinda awful, i will say that. diamond girl is great.

PITCH LOCK CONTROL

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I think you guys just made history with the most pointless debate to ever happen on this site.

not even close.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    after cruising in the whip last night and hearing the new Madonna and J Timbo track I would like to add that into the debate. I'd ride for Ray J over Madonna's poor vocality on that track.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    it doen't sound any worse than anything else on the radio / in the club.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the real question is who on soulstrut parties in girl jeans

If this is an attire query, the answer is I do.

The song is silly to me and very unconvincing in the sexy department.

• the real question is who on soulstrut parties in girl jeans

^^^^^^^^^

PREFERS "SEXY BACK"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

^^^^^^^^^

PREFERS "SEXY BACK"

Funnily enough it did bring to mind Sexy Back. In a same thread-different song when that was all over the radio, I also posted about how weak I thought it was because JT is one of the least sexy people around.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i suppose we will give u a pass on the girl jeans

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it doen't sound any worse than anything else on the radio / in the club.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    still hottt

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    where does lil wayne's joint, "lollipop", stand on this list? it is currently #2 on the billboard top 100.

ugh........

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    where does lil wayne's joint, "lollipop", stand on this list? it is currently #2 on the billboard top 100.

"Lollipop" is hoTT!

Do you object to girls, partying, fun or some combination of the three?

"Lollipop" is hoTT!

maybe he objects to that vocoder voice distorter thingy, aka the most played out gimmick of the last five years of music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

"Lollipop" is hoTT!

maybe he objects to that vocoder voice distorter thingy, aka the most played out gimmick of the last five years of music.

Hard to call it a played-out gimmick...

When Jamaican artists like Wayne Wonder and T.O.K. set such a strong precedent for Americans to start playing with it....which would turn "gimmick" to tried-and-true.

And when T-Pan's latest effort by way of Rick Ross's The Boss is genuinely amazing...which would turn "played out" to (still) fresh-to-death.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Why would this be a gimmick of the last five years when vocoder and talk box effects have been used in R&B music since the 70s??

"Lollipop" is hoTT!

When Jamaican artists like Wayne Wonder and T.O.K. set such a strong precedent for Americans to start playing with it....which would turn "gimmick" to tried-and-true.

And when T-Pan's latest effort by way of Rick Ross's The Boss is genuinely amazing...which would turn "played out" to (still) fresh-to-death.

uh, okay. so apparently when an artist does something well he gives other artists a license to do it poorly?

if you think T-Pain's sound is "fresh" then I don't know what to tell you. his sound is many things, but "fresh" is certainly not one of them. there is nothing new about R&B crooning into a computer.

there's a point at which "tried-and-true" becomes "stale-and-played" no?

PS Wayne Wonder - vocoder >>> any of these clowns + vocoder.

Why would this be a gimmick of the last five years when vocoder and talk box effects have been used in R&B music since the 70s??

is that a serious question? it's been used to good (and bad) effect over the last serveral decades; sure. but there has been a virtual explosion in its use by bad hook-singers (Akon and T-Pain principally) over the last 4-5 years. surely you know what I'm talking about.

and my point is simply that there's nothing "fresh" about their output at this point.

T-Pan

"Lollipop" is hoTT!

uh, okay. so apparently when an artist does something well he gives other artists a license to do it poorly?

if you think T-Pain's sound is "fresh" then I don't know what to tell you. his sound is many things, but "fresh" is certainly not one of them. there is nothing new about R&B crooning into a computer.

there's a point at which "tried-and-true" becomes "stale-and-played" no?

PS Wayne Wonder - vocoder >>> any of these clowns + vocoder.

Nah, dude...listen to The Boss again. T-Pain is

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Wayne Wonder = any kind of singing/vocoder skill whatsoever?!!

I think Wayne Wonder and T-Pain are about equally matched in overall blah.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

What I like best about Teddy Pain's hook on that song is that it's not overly boastful--it's kind of on some everyman shit:

I got a fresh line-up, fresh outfit
    'Bout to have the parkin' lot on smash
    Plus I got a Chevy with a 454 in the hood
    That bitch got 125 on the dash

Nothing too crazy, you know? New 'fit, haircut, an old Chevrolet. Just a dude ready for the weekend. Kind of a juxtaposition to Rick ROWSE'S verse about making a couple million last year (and 10 Maybachs).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    So was Kleeer biting Roger Troutman? Was EWF biting him too? Were they all biting Peter Frampton?

Your backpack straps are showing!

Huh, Wayne Wonder has had one of the most pleasent voices in the business for how long?

Yeah, maybe pleasent voice isn't really saying much.

But I still like him alright...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

ugh........

its pretty awful but girls are digging this wayy more than "sexy can i", the original thread starter.

my fav radio song is "girls all around the world" by lloyd. lil wayne cameo's with his best rakim impersonation.

• Frampton

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Huh, Wayne Wonder has had one of the most pleasent voices in the business for how long?

Yeah, maybe pleasent voice isn't really saying much.

But I still like him alright...

Both of these dudes aren't the greatest singers. The basically use vocoding to cover the blandness. I'm not passing judgement however. I personally think Lil Wayne's vocoder kills both these dudes and he's not even really singing. More like chanting...

What I like best about Teddy Pain's hook on that song is that it's not overly boastful--it's kind of on some everyman shit:

I got a fresh line-up, fresh outfit
    'Bout to have the parkin' lot on smash
    Plus I got a Chevy with a 454 in the hood
    That bitch got 125 on the dash

Nothing too crazy, you know? New 'fit, haircut, an old Chevrolet. Just a dude ready for the weekend. Kind of a juxtaposition to Rick ROWSE'S verse about making a couple million last year (and 10 Maybachs).

His adlibs towards the end of the song are the clincher for me.