Oscar Noms - Discuss!

Comments

• There Will Be Blood is an outstanding movie and I hope it wins. I still haven't seen No Country, but I plan on it.

Juno sucked. The story was full of holes, the script was incredibly forced and gimmicky, Michael Cera's talent was wasted, it was just such a shoddy movie. Can someone please explain why people like it?

I wouldn't say that Juno sucked. I thought it was a cool little indie-lookin flick (was this an indie?). I'm surprised to see it get any oscar nomination in any category. Ellen Page was good in it, but not an oscar worthy performance by any stretch. She just acted like an annoying, smart-aleck teenager who was (unbelieveably)wise beyond her years. As far as Michael Cera's "wasted talent" is concerned, it's not like the kid has exhibited any range or versatility. Everything I've seen him in has cast him as the "aww shucks-kinda clueless-nice guy". EVERY TIME.... I'm kinda getting the impression that he's either a one trick pony or that's just dude's personality and he's not acting at all. Either way, dude's talent isn't really all that impressive thus far.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    who is michael cera ?

Utterly

This is England was cool, not amazing, but pretty interesting and thought provoking, and I was glad it didnt reach the depths of American History X....

Damn it's uncool around here to dig Juno. It was totally unrealistic, overdone and overly kitchsy, basically disposable fluff, but I had fun, and she was good and damn funny. I've seen worse get nominated (crash anyone?)....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There Will Be Blood is an outstanding movie and I hope it wins. I still haven't seen No Country, but I plan on it.

Juno sucked. The story was full of holes, the script was incredibly forced and gimmicky, Michael Cera's talent was wasted, it was just such a shoddy movie. Can someone please explain why people like it?

I wouldn't say that Juno sucked. I thought it was a cool little indie-lookin flick (was this an indie?). I'm surprised to see it get any oscar nomination in any category. Ellen Page was good in it, but not an oscar worthy performance by any stretch. She just acted like an annoying, smart-aleck teenager who was (unbelieveably)wise beyond her years. As far as Michael Cera's "wasted talent" is concerned, it's not like the kid has exhibited any range or versatility. Everything I've seen him in has cast him as the "aww shucks-kinda clueless-nice guy". EVERY TIME.... I'm kinda getting the impression that he's either a one trick pony or that's just dude's personality and he's not acting at all. Either way, dude's talent isn't really all that impressive thus far.

If you look at recent trends in Oscar noms, there's always the one quirky comedy:
    LIttle Miss Sunshine
    Sideways
    Lost in Translation

And of course, the mind-stunner that was "Shakespeare in Love" > "Saving Private Ryan."

So whether you like Juno or not, it's the only comedy that really comes close to being a critical darling and can be used to break up otherwise heavy drama and period flicks.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Wow....Cate Blanchett sorta son'd the game here....
    Ellen Page can socked in the face - that chick's annoying.
    I'm surprised about Juno - but I'm sure the Academy doesn't think it'd hurt to have a film like this nom'd as far as appealing to a "more diverse" crowd. The academy.....getting edgier all the time!

And as far as 2007 for movies....shut up man. There are great movies nom'd. No Country and There Will be Blood were outstanding. Even if you didn't personally like them - they were very bold and refreshing - and that can't be denied - totally something new. Ratatouille should have been nom'd....it's going to happen at some point soon where Pixar (fuck all the rest) get in that category.

But yea - movies weren't half bad this past year. I haven't had more fun watching a movie than at (gulp) Transformers.....shit was way too much fun.

Seriously, can someone tell me the last time Hollywood had an undeniably GREAT year? Without a bunch of flicks stinking up the rest? I just find talk of how bad movies are today to be about as meaningful as talk of how bad music is today.

Blanchett might win for best supporting but I can't see her getting the best actress nod. From what I've seen, Julie Christie has that shit on lock.

I want to see the TWBB vs. NCFOM showdown in director and best adapted screenplay. I suspect the latter would go to TWBB > NCFOM but director seems more open...I suspect PT Anderson's Wells-ian vision might go over better with the tight, intricate work of the Coen Bros. though. (Not to say there aren't other competitors in there as well).

As for Pixar: they'll get their moment one of these days but I think most voters still associate "animation" with "kiddie shit."

Wow....Cate Blanchett sorta son'd the game here....
    Ellen Page can socked in the face - that chick's annoying.
    I'm surprised about Juno - but I'm sure the Academy doesn't think it'd hurt to have a film like this nom'd as far as appealing to a "more diverse" crowd. The academy.....getting edgier all the time!

And as far as 2007 for movies....shut up man. There are great movies nom'd. No Country and There Will be Blood were outstanding. Even if you didn't personally like them - they were very bold and refreshing - and that can't be denied - totally something new. Ratatouille should have been nom'd....it's going to happen at some point soon where Pixar (fuck all the rest) get in that category.

But yea - movies weren't half bad this past year. I haven't had more fun watching a movie than at (gulp) Transformers.....shit was way too much fun.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I was entertained by Juno and laughed throughout the movie. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I'd probably see it again. But I'm confused...is it more hipster to like the movie or more hipster to hate on it? My guess is it's the later...And to the guy who's complaint was that it was full of holes...it's a comedy. If you are disappointed about the lack of continuity in a comedy, maybe you went to see the wrong movie?

I was entertained by Juno and laughed throughout the movie. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I'd probably see it again. But I'm confused...is it more hipster to like the movie or more hipster to hate on it? My guess is it's the later...And to the guy who's complaint was that it was full of holes...it's a comedy. If you are disappointed about the lack of continuity in a comedy, maybe you went to see the wrong movie?

Is lack of continuity inherent in comedies?

• Oscar scorecard
    Complete list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards
    The Envelope
    January 22, 2008
    PHOTOS: Nominees

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Awards nominees

BEST PICTURE
    "Michael Clayton"

BEST ACTRESS
    I'm not sure about this one

BEST ACTOR
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
    he was amazing in this. I'm surprised the joke academy actually recognized it.

BEST DIRECTOR
    Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The last few months could have been a pretty damn good year for movies by itself.

If I'd bet on anything I'd say.

There Will Be Blood will win best pic. and a bunch of others including best adapted screenplay. It's a dark movie for a dark year. I just think it fits much better with the american brooding of late than like Atonement which would win the oscar normaly.

I'd bet a thousand dollars that Daniel Day Lewis will best actor for TWBB as well. The same likelihood that Scorsese was going to win best director last year. I just think it's a lock.

No Country For Old Men for best sound editing.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Is lack of continuity inherent in comedies?

Not necessarily inherent, but less important.

• As for Pixar: they'll get their moment one of these days but I think most voters still associate "animation" with "kiddie shit."

well, among audiences I think that the shift happened a while back. at some point over the last 5-10 years someone decided that these Pixar movies were actually suitable for adults as well. and all of the sudden grow-ups started talking about the Incredibles and Shrek and started holding these movies to adult standards. but really they are -- and always were -- for kids. sure, there's the occassional "grow-up joke" or reference to current/political events, but these occasional nods to the parents in the audience still do not make these any more than kids movies.

that said, there will be "that year" in the near future when one of these gets a best picture or some shit and everyone will be shocked/satisfied or whatever. as usual for the Oscars (1) it will have come years late and (2) will still be wrong.

As for Pixar: they'll get their moment one of these days but I think most voters still associate "animation" with "kiddie shit."

well, among audiences I think that the shift happened a while back. at some point over the last 5-10 years someone decided that these Pixar movies were actually suitable for adults as well. and all of the sudden grow-ups started talking about the Incredibles and Shrek and started holding these movies to adult standards. but really they are -- and always were -- for kids. sure, there's the occassional "grow-up joke" or reference to current/political events, but these occasional nods to the parents in the audience still do not make these any more than kids movies.

that said, there will be "that year" in the near future when one of these gets a best picture or some shit and everyone will be shocked/satisfied or whatever. as usual for the Oscars (1) it will have come years late and (2) will still be wrong.

When's the last time a G-rated movie got an Oscar nod, anyway?

• When's the last time a G-rated movie got an Oscar nod, anyway?

Probably Oliver, which beat a superior G-rated movie called 2001 A Space Odyssey.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    When's the last time a G-rated movie got an Oscar nod, anyway?

Probably Oliver, which beat a superior G-rated movie called 2001 A Space Odyssey.

2001 was rated G? Can't imagine taking the kiddies to that one, unless I wanted them to fall asleep.

• only movies i want to see are there will be blood and the docs and the foreign films.

sad thing is none of them will be playing in west bumble fuck california.

"Old Country For Old Men"?
    "Eastern Promises"?
    "American Gangster"?
    "Ratatouille"?

Saying - here's some of the "best" films of 2006:
    Babel - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Jon Kilik, Steve Golin
    The Queen - Andy Harries, Christine Langan, Tracey Seaward
    Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Robert Lorenz
    Little Miss Sunshine - David T. Friendly, Peter Saraf, Marc Turtletaub
    The Departed - Graham King

I'm not exactly swooning over that either.

i didn't say last year was very good either. movies made in mainstream hollywood haven't really been good since the first writers strike. i'm pretty sure that and the reality show craze are a direct result.

no country for old men
    eastern promises
    american gangster

three movies i will never watch. too violent. call me a pussy but i just don't get off watching people get murdered. i guess it's as i get older or something but i just have a hard time watching people being harmed for the sake of entertainment.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    call me a pussy

Pussy.

no country for old men
    eastern promises
    american gangster

three movies i will never watch. too violent. call me a pussy but i just don't get off watching people get murdered. i guess it's as i get older or something but i just have a hard time watching people being harmed for the sake of entertainment.

I hear you but it's hard for you to complain about the general paucity of mainstream movie quality if you, yourself, refuse to see movies that incorporate violence. The tradition of Hollywood - dating back to "Birth of a Nation" was founded on spectacles of violence; I respect where you're coming from but you're also missing out on decades of great movies as a consequence of your ethics. Ergo, it's hard to take seriously your complaint that there's no good movies when you're artificially limiting the pool to movies without violence.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    La Vie En Rose is my favorite oscar worthy flick of last year

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Yea.......uuuuhhhhh......what?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    why would someone who doesn't like movies post on this thread?

"three movies i will never watch. too violent. call me a pussy but i just don't get off watching people get murdered. i guess it's as i get older or something but i just have a hard time watching people being harmed for the sake of entertainment."

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    some dudes will jump at any chance to bitch about how things used to be so much better

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    And how the hell does the there will be blood score not get nominated??

I don't think it's universally agreed that the score is all that great.
    I know I wasn't all that impressed with it. I didn't hate it, and at first
    I was into it, thinking that it created great tension. But then it just seemed
    to keep going that way, through the entire film, repetitive to the point of
    distraction. Also, it can be hard to get nominated for your first score.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I'm rooting for the song from "Once" to win. Just saw the movie this week. Loved it.

• Once was a million billion trillion times better than Juno. I'm still pissed off about this shit.

• These would have been my nominations, off the top of my head:

Once
    Into The Wild
    Zodiac
    Darjeeling Limited
    Can't really think of anything else. I haven't seen Persepolis yet but I have high hopes.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    while we are discussing films..I heard this is a dope movie..

can anyone confirm? The trailer looks good.

Yeah if you've seen any of Shane Meadow's other movies you should have a good idea what it's like - thought it was decent.

Sigh, Cate Blanchett is rapidly becoming the academy's new favourite actress.

Does anyone know how Saorise Ronan was the only actor/actress to get a nomination from Atonement? I personally couldn't tell the difference between her clipped, shrill, performance and those of children in 5 million other period english films and TV shows.

This is probably the first year in a long time where I haven't seen any of the foreign language nominations - I've heard about the Counterfeiters but anyone know if any of the others are worth checking out?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

4 Months, 3 Weeks

Eastern Promises

Seeing Eastern Promises finally on Friday for Canada's Top Ten at Cinematheque...maybe Cronenberg will show (fingers-crossed).

4 Months is the best film of 2007 imo. I would have fallen over in shock if that had been nominated.

• Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"

this guy is in every film since the Boogie Nights days.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"

this guy is in every film since the Boogie Nights days.

I felt like he kind of phoned it in for "Until the Devil Knows You're Dead."