Oscar Noms - Discuss!

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Oscar scorecardComplete list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy AwardsThe EnvelopeJanuary 22, 2008PHOTOS: Nominees Complete list of 80th annual Academy Awards nominees BEST PICTURE"Atonement" "Juno" "Michael Clayton" "No Country for Old Men" "There Will Be Blood" BEST ACTRESSCate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"Julie Christie, "Away From Her" Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose" Laura Linney, "The Savages" Ellen Page, "Juno" BEST ACTORGeorge Clooney, "Michael Clayton" Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd" Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises" Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah" BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESSCate Blanchett, "I'm Not There" Ruby Dee, "American Gangster" Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement" Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone" Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton" BEST SUPPORTING ACTORCasey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men" Hal Holbrook, "Into The Wild" Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War" Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton" BEST DIRECTORPaul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men" Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton" Jason Reitman, "Juno"BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAYDiablo Cody, "Juno" Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl" Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton" Brad Bird, Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird, "Ratatouille" Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages" BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAYPaul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood" Christopher Hampton, "Atonement" Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men" Sarah Polley, "Away From Her" BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM"Beaufort" (Israel) "The Counterfeiters" (Austria) "Katyn" (Poland)"Mongol" (Kazakhstan) "12" (Russia)BEST ANIMATED FILM"Persepolis" "Ratatouille" "Surf's Up" BEST ART DIRECTION"American Gangster""Atonement" "The Golden Compass" "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" "There Will Be Blood" BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" Roger Deakins "Atonement," Seamus Mcgarvey"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," Janusz Kaminski"No Country For Old Men," Roger Deakins"There Will Be Blood," Robert ElswitBEST COSTUME DESIGN"Across the Universe," Albert Wolsky "Atonement," Jacqueline Durran"Elizabeth: The Golden Age," Alexandra Byrne "La Vie En Rose," Marit Allen "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street," Colleen Atwood BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE"No End in Sight""Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience""Sicko""Taxi to the Dark Side""War/Dance"BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT"Freeheld""La Corona" ("The Crown")"Salim Baba""Sari's Mother"BEST FILM EDITING"The Bourne Ultimatum," Christopher Rouse"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," Juliette Welfling"Into the Wild," Jay Cassidy"No Country for Old Men," Roderick Jaynes"There Will Be Blood," Dylan TichenorBEST MAKEUP"La Vie en Rose" "Norbit" "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" BEST ORIGINAL SCORE"Atonement", Dario Marianelli "The Kite Runner", Alberto Iglesias"Michael Clayton", James Newton Howard "Ratatouille", Michael Giacchino "3:10 to Yuma", Marco Beltrami BEST ORIGINAL SONG"Falling Slowly" from "Once" "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted" "Raise It Up" from "August Rush" "So Close" from "Enchanted" "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted" BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM"I Met the Walrus" "Madame Tutli-Putli""M??me Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)" "My Love (Moya Lyubov)""Peter & the Wolf" BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM"At Night" "Il Supplente (The Substitute)" "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)" "Tanghi Argentini" "The Tonto Woman"BEST SOUND EDITING"The Bourne Ultimatum" "No Country For Old Men""Ratatouille" "There Will Be Blood" "Transformers"BEST SOUND MIXING"The Bourne Ultimatum""No Country For Old Men""Ratatouille""3:10 to Yuma" "Transformers"BEST VISUAL EFFECTS "The Golden Compass" "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End""Transformers"

Comments

• why is juno in there so much?????

the real question is why are you surprised that juno is in there so much? have you ever seen the Oscars? it's a total joke.

• haveonly sesn one movie on that list so i cant really comment
    im anxious to see no ocuntry for old men.

the counterfeiters (foreign movie, Austria) is great. i generally like the main actor and he really did a great job in this one. can really recommend this movie

• Where is Rescue Dawn?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    why is juno in there so much?????

I was just thinking the same thing.

the real question is why are you surprised that juno is in there so much? have you ever seen the Oscars? it's a total joke.

no, that's not the real question.

even by their dubious standards...why Juno?!?

yeah good question.

this is a weak sauce year for movies i haven't seen one film that was nominated other than juno and the bourne movie.

2007 for movies =

• i never heard of most of these movies. in fact the only one i seen is ratatouille. which is tres bien.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    no call for "look how far we've come!" speeches this year, that's for sure

• Ellen Page is truly a great talent though...especially in Trailer Park Boys and Hard Candy

• oh yeah, i saw the bourne movie too. im a huge fan of this spy series.

no, that's not the real question.

even by their dubious standards...why Juno?!?

dude Juno fits perfectly into their questionable standards. seriously I don't see how you can be this shocked. have you seen Juno? it's like bacon for the critic class.

I wouldn't sweat it though. Juno's up against No Country and There Will be Blood. They may throw Ellen Page or the screenwriter a bone, but there's no way Juno gets best Director or Picture.

• whatever...can't a man still be shocked by their questionable noms?

and it seems like the best movies are actually in the best editing catagory...diving bell and into the wild

• There Will Be Blood is an outstanding movie and I hope it wins. I still haven't seen No Country, but I plan on it.

Juno sucked. The story was full of holes, the script was incredibly forced and gimmicky, Michael Cera's talent was wasted, it was just such a shoddy movie. Can someone please explain why people like it?

• I'm riding for No Country For Old Men..even though I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet(gonna catch it this weekend).

• i haven't seen one film that was nominated other than juno and the bourne movie.

Oh, well you're clearly an expert.

That's it people, movies sucked in '07, thread's over, nothing to see here.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    why is juno in there so much?????

yeah good question.

this is a weak sauce year for movies i haven't seen one film that was nominated other than juno and the bourne movie.

2007 for movies =

Huh? So you basically skipped out on all the good movies?

• There Will Be Blood is an outstanding movie and I hope it wins. I still haven't seen No Country, but I plan on it.

Juno sucked. The story was full of holes, the script was incredibly forced and gimmicky, Michael Cera's talent was wasted, it was just such a shoddy movie. Can someone please explain why people like it?

i thought it was well liked because of the whole anti abortion angle, so maybe a lot of christians are behind it like narnia movie. who is michael cera ?

personally 16 year old pregnant girl talking like an almost unintelligable hipster=

yeah good question.

2007 for movies =

I think 2007 was a good year. There weren't many films, but a lot of good ones.

No Country For Old Men is top notch in my opinion. I hope that wins big. Wouldn't mind if There Will Be Blood won, either. Both of those should be seen in theaters. Also, Zodiac doesn't look like it got any nominations, and that was pretty good, too.

yeah good question.

2007 for movies =

Huh? So you basically skipped out on all the good movies?

whu ?

what good movies ?

only movies i want to see are there will be blood and the docs and the foreign films.

sad thing is none of them will be playing in west bumble fuck california.

• oh yeah. i saw norbit too.

• thank god the juno soundtrack and that Frickin' moldy peaches song aren't on the list

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    outcome I'm interested in:

BEST ANIMATED FILM
    "Persepolis"
    "Ratatouille"
    "Surf's Up"

Iranian girl's coming of age story or rats that cook or surfing birds?

• while we are discussing films..I heard this is a dope movie..

can anyone confirm? The trailer looks good.

• thank god the juno soundtrack and that Frickin' moldy peaches song aren't on the list

woah...soulstrut censored me!?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

only movies i want to see are there will be blood and the docs and the foreign films.

"Old Country For Old Men"?
    "Eastern Promises"?
    "American Gangster"?
    "Ratatouille"?

Saying - here's some of the "best" films of 2006:
    Babel - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Jon Kilik, Steve Golin
    The Queen - Andy Harries, Christine Langan, Tracey Seaward
    Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Robert Lorenz
    Little Miss Sunshine - David T. Friendly, Peter Saraf, Marc Turtletaub
    The Departed - Graham King

I'm not exactly swooning over that either.

• while we are discussing films..I heard this is a dope movie..

can anyone confirm? The trailer looks good.

i have that in my netflix queue...should be here tomorrow

• only movies i want to see are there will be blood and the docs and the foreign films.

"Old Country For Old Men"?
    "Eastern Promises"?
    "American Gangster"?
    "Ratatouille"?

Saying - here's some of the "best" films of 2006:
    Babel - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Jon Kilik, Steve Golin
    The Queen - Andy Harries, Christine Langan, Tracey Seaward
    Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Robert Lorenz
    Little Miss Sunshine - David T. Friendly, Peter Saraf, Marc Turtletaub
    The Departed - Graham King

I'm not exactly swooning over that either.

Agreed. The films in the field this year are better than last.

Robbed of a nomination! Also Aliens vs Predator 2, robbed!

Robbed of a nomination! Also Aliens vs Predator 2, robbed!

no way bro.

norbit - best make-up consolation prize!