Rap Artists Whose CDs Are Better as Instrumentals?

2»

Comments

• 'quasimoto' (i.e. madlib)... i can't listen to this shit as is. nice beats though

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I dig Quasimoto, but I listen to the instrumental version of "The Unseen" way more than the regular version these days.

Calling out ATCQ and Pete/CL? You must be young enough not to have felt the full impact of those records when they cam out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Calling out ATCQ and Pete/CL? You must be young enough not to have felt the full impact of those records when they cam out.
    weeetarded

• some of these suggestions are surprising.

I can understand something like Group Home. Lil Dap was listenable, but The Nutcracker has so many cringe moments.
    Maybe Souls of Mischief is too backpacker for some of you, but the first LP is 100% listenable in terms of lyrics. I enjoy that album a lot. If I listened to an instrumental version I would end up rapping the whole album anyways.
    The first Pharcyde album is the same as well. Totally entertaining and fun. The instrumental version is dope because it shows how layered the production is, but the vocals helped make it what it was.
    Same goes for Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop. The beats are dopel, but Diamond's rapping is what ties it all together. It's the whole package.

I actually own instrumental version to the majority of these (diamond, pharcyde, souls, chronic 2001, etc.), but I'd grab the vocal version to listen to about 90% of the time.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

i'm 34 cuz. you can do the math.

"Rap Artists Whose CDs are Better as Instrumentals"

i took this thread as "impact/quality of the music > rhymes"

i didn't say that tip, phife, cl, or diamond were wack at all. i just prefer the beats over their rhymes. i mean fuck when them shits came out, hell yeah i was rapping along to every word.

also, i didn't get the whole lupe fiasco reference. i guess i don't know that much about him. i only know him from that music video with skateboarding and that was enough for me to not give a fuck about him. unlike that dude who made that comment in the first place, who obviously does know that much about him, in which case holmes, you just yourself.

carry on.

• regarding PR and CL...

I'll take CL raps on the EP and "mecca...", but PLEASE give me the instrumentals only on "main ingredient". i CAN NOT TAKE cl smooth on that album...like fingernails on the chalk board.

• New Kingdom - Heavy Load

I always wished there was an instrumental version of this.

• side note: it's not wack by any means, but i wish there was an instrumental version of scarface's "the untouchable"

yeah i've been jamming that album a ton lately. I revisited it for Game Over and Smile and found myself enjoying the whole thing front to back over and over. The beats are real nice on this album. Great album in general. Better than the Fix, IMO.

• I wish these dudes had instramental versions of The Platform and Expansion Team.

Sometimes they tend to babble a bit when it comes to the mic.

there are instrumentals to "The Platform". I have the vinyl...

• lets all compromise and say all rap should be intrumental.

[color:red]Did you mean: [color:blue]instrumental

ooops yes. Thanks

yeah but, would it be rap if it were instrumental? anywho...

i agree about lil dap, i always liked that dude for some reason, even though he's not really that good. melachi was horrible. just horrible.

i think breaking atoms would make a dope instrumental album...