Projects that should be dope but disappoint (YNQ)

Comments

• The fact that he has even attained a modest amount of accolades is a telltale sign of the decline of the art form.

What a pretentious load of crap.

Madvillainy, Champion Sound, and both the Quasimoto album simply are what they are...enjoyable listens.

And damn the "art form" if people like you are now the custodians of it.

You are obviously one of the tone-deaf douchebags who facilitates a paycheck for this clown. Custodian is a perfect term to use since they are known for cleaning up shit.

Yeah, we're all holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince, where people get so into sampled beats that they wonder why so many others think of Melachi the Nutcracker as a wack excuse for an MC. Surely, it's going to happen tomorrow, or maybe the next day...and definitely it's going to be sparked by disgruntled studio-coffee-fetchers on their way back from getting their tongue hairs waxed.

Dunno what all of that horse shit you wrote actually means but I would just like to be impressed by hip hop again. Seems very obvious to MANY people that the road paved by the great ones has been cast aside in favor of what they deem to be the new style. When in fact, it only comes off as a ploy to avoid the dubious task of continuing the tradition of making quality music. They're actually quite fortunate that people are are gullible enough to buy into the one-dimensional stuff they produce. Back in the days, these fools would all be night managers at Burger King.

My bet is that you came into hip-hop with that same condescending attitude. You just happened to be impressed for a short while by what you considered to be the exception to the rule.

Again, if you don't like rap music...move the fuck away from it and shut the fuck up about it. It's obviously not for you...and it's definitely not here for the sole purpose of subjecting itself to your piss-ant philosophies.

You talk about Madlib like he's what's what or something. He merely is what he is...and that's basically an obscurity in relation to the 15 other more prominent strains of rap that are popular and hitting today.

Really though, on the flipside of your bitching and moaning...what are you advocating? That you yourself produce any rap song that ever comes out???

The parameters of quality music cannot so perfectly fit into the mere thimble that you have assigned for the task.

But anytime you talk about rap, that is only thing you are capable of doing.

You are a dinosaur that never actually walked the earth....a figment of your own closed-minded imagination.

Now fade away already...

Are you done? Is that all? OK...

This thread was about Madlib, so I'm addressing his "contributions". You are actually the only person who disagrees with what I'm saying. I came into rap music when it came out and followed it's trajectory for many years because I really liked it. What's not to like? Strong beats, flows, artists, a solid foundation for a musical subculture. AND I experienced it firsthand in the city that it originated in. Not in Waterloo Frickin' Texas by way of Sam Goody and Yo MTV raps. So I know what the fuck I'm speaking on, sucka. I've seen it change from raw underground music to mainstream and all the way to what it is now.

As for quality music, it's of course subjective to opinion based on taste. The more you've experienced, the more taste you will hopefully acquire over time. I simply cannot forget about the original music I first experienced as it relates to the pale comparison of today's version. Music is either good or bad, regardless of when it was made, genre, scene, etc. Just because I never produced hip hop doesn't mean I don't have a right to an opinion on what I think it sounds like. That's just ridiculous. Furthermore, I won't "shut the fuck up" about it because we're all here to share information and ideas with the common goal of appreciating, dissecting and critiquing music. If that were the case, you should have the shut the fuck up a long time ago with your half-baked notions of Slash being a better guitarist than Clapton, Hendrix and Page. NOW THAT'S WHAT I WOULD CALL PISSANT PHILOSOPHY. You should have kept that little gem to yourself, pal.

I've walked the earth, had trials and tribulations, faced hardships and trials you would not live through. I've produced music, made music and have had enough success at it to spot a poser a mile away.

I'd ask you to fade away but your voice is barely registering as it is...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey *dr**n,

Dude have you been ready Harvey posts over the last year or so? Keep in mind that you are debating with the man who brought the idea of lizard people onto this board.

You must also realize that you are will never be as hip-hop or genuine as Harvey and can never attain his area of enlightenment and/or realness, it's best to just enjoy his aura from a distance.

• one of these YNQ threads comes up on the strut every couple of months. I laugh everytime.

• Hey *dr**n,

Dude have you been ready Harvey posts over the last year or so? Keep in mind that you are debating with the man who brought the idea of lizard people onto this board.

You must also realize that you are will never be as hip-hop or genuine as Harvey and can never attain his area of enlightenment and/or realness, it's best to just enjoy his aura from a distance.

You sound whiter.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey *dr**n,

You sound whiter.

Sadly, I've had to come to terms with being one of the "more-whites" but I've began mentioning the names of Rapid Ric and Ngafish around Beverly Hills in the hopes of getting some other cracker's attention and making him or her feel guilty for the oppression they've laid down upon others.

it's really helped me to feel better about myself

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

This thread was about Madlib, so I'm addressing his "contributions". You are actually the only person who disagrees with what I'm saying. I came into rap music when it came out and followed it's trajectory for many years because I really liked it. What's not to like? Strong beats, flows, artists, a solid foundation for a musical subculture. AND I experienced it firsthand in the city that it originated in. Not in Waterloo Frickin' Texas by way of Sam Goody and Yo MTV raps. So I know what the fuck I'm speaking on, sucka. I've seen it change from raw underground music to mainstream and all the way to what it is now.

Oh yeah, for me to be legit in my hip-hop pedigree...I have to eternally bow down to the closed-mindedness of the average NYC rap fan. Maybe I forgot that simple rule...BECAUSE NOBODY HAS BEEN FOLLOWING IT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION FOR AT LEAST A FULL DEACEDE NOW!!!

But here you are trying to play that same, lame, but-I'm-from-NYC card, which basically proves my claim of you being a paper tiger of a dinosaur.

And fool, I'm from New Orleans...remember, where you got your idea from???

As for quality music, it's of course subjective to opinion based on taste. The more you've experienced, the more taste you will hopefully acquire over time. I simply cannot forget about the original music I first experienced as it relates to the pale comparison of today's version. Music is either good or bad, regardless of when it was made, genre, scene, etc. Just because I never produced hip hop doesn't mean I don't have a right to an opinion on what I think it sounds like. That's just ridiculous. Furthermore, I won't "shut the fuck up" about it because we're all here to share information and ideas with the common goal of appreciating, dissecting and critiquing music. If that were the case, you should have the shut the fuck up a long time ago with your half-baked notions of Slash being a better guitarist than Clapton, Hendrix and Page. NOW THAT'S WHAT I WOULD CALL PISSANT PHILOSOPHY. You should have kept that little gem to yourself, pal.

I never said that Slash was a better guitarist than anyone...especially not Hendrix. I simply said that Slash has a fluidity to his playing that career wannabe's like Clapton and Page could only ever wish to aspire towards...and I continue to stand by that.

And yeah, "music is either good or bad" (what a genius point for you to make there)...and of course you are the only one to make that call. Forget that you never cite anything in current rap that you do like. It's all just beneath you and your all-too-obvious rockist applications.

I've walked the earth, had trials and tribulations, faced hardships and trials you would not live through. I've produced music, made music and have had enough success at it to spot a poser a mile away.

Yes, you've got it...I'm posing as someone who actually likes rap music. If only I could be more real and thus pretend to like rap music only enough to give me the platform to tell anyone who will listen how much it actually sucks...then maybe I could pound my chest in private quarters along with all the other abominable slowmen still caught in a time warp out there.

• holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince

This is the one of the greatest diseases in the game.

I agree to a certain extent, but i also think that there is just too much crap being released nowadays (major and indie). I mean take the Beans album for example, everyone at the LABEL says its a shit album, you listen to it and its sounds like shit, so why even put it out? Maybe its not just a Stones throw thing but a music industry issue where there is little to no quality control? dunno.
    '

I'll tell you what it is. Distribution.... You see, indie distributors are notorious for not paying the labels for product sold. They always come up short or try to stall your payments in favor putting their money towards other new releases from other labels coming down the pipeline. A label with more relases per year sees a better chance of getting paid for previous records sold to a distributor. They entice the distributor by refusing to sell them, new product unless they pay for some fo themoney already owed to the label.

So, in the long run, even though some releases aren't even worthy of release in the first place, they will be churned out to keep the money rolling in at a steady pace. Also, it keeps the label profile up by being available in more stores. thus creating the illusion that there's a demand for the product. It's all a scam. A bulk of this product will be returned to the label. The label then, writes it off. Voila!

• This thread was about Madlib, so I'm addressing his "contributions". You are actually the only person who disagrees with what I'm saying. I came into rap music when it came out and followed it's trajectory for many years because I really liked it. What's not to like? Strong beats, flows, artists, a solid foundation for a musical subculture. AND I experienced it firsthand in the city that it originated in. Not in Waterloo Frickin' Texas by way of Sam Goody and Yo MTV raps. So I know what the fuck I'm speaking on, sucka. I've seen it change from raw underground music to mainstream and all the way to what it is now.

Oh yeah, for me to be legit in my hip-hop pedigree...I have to eternally bow down to the closed-mindedness of the average NYC rap fan. Maybe I forgot that simple rule...BECAUSE NOBODY HAS BEEN FOLLOWING IT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION FOR AT LEAST A FULL DEACEDE NOW!!!

But here you are trying to play that same, lame, but-I'm-from-NYC card, which basically proves my claim of you being a paper tiger of a dinosaur.

And fool, I'm from New Orleans...remember, where you got your idea from???

I never said that Slash was a better guitarist than anyone...especially not Hendrix. I simply said that Slash has a fluidity to his playing that career wannabe's like Clapton and Page could only ever wish to aspire towards...and I continue to stand by that.

And yeah, "music is either good or bad" (what a genius point for you to make there)...and of course you are the only one to make that call. Forget that you never cite anything in current rap that you do like. It's all just beneath you and your all-too-obvious rockist applications.

Yes, you've got it...I'm posing as someone who actually likes rap music. If only I could be more real and thus pretend to like rap music only enough to give me the platform to tell anyone who will listen how much it actually sucks...then maybe I could pound my chest in private quarters along with all the other abominable slowmen still caught in a time warp out there.

This is beginning to be kinda fun...

Look, you're obviously a douchebag... let's get that one outta the way first and foremost. You are not worth debating me. You are severely outclassed. But let's pretend for a moment that you're not.

I can see that you are very passionate about the various "strains" of hip hop and not so much for the NYC true school of hip hop that I'm foolish enough to base my opinion on. Perhaps if I was from the breeding ground of hip hop that is New Orleans I would have a stronger vantage point to be enlightened by your incredibly astute observations and superior tastes. Believe it or not, I still am ignorant enough to buy into the whole concept that hip hop originated in Jamaica in the form of "toasting" on the mic over a record. The tradition that was carried over into the South Bronx housing projects block parties and adapted by New Yorkers to create Rap.

If we were talking about Wynton Marsalis, you may have had a leg to stand on here. but we're not, so (sadly, again) you don't.

"Music is either good or bad" is a direct quote from this hack called Duke Ellington when they asked him what kind of music he liked. I couldn't help but agree completely. Silly me, I'm such a blind follower.

Slash is a very talented guitarist, no doubt. However his playing is not nearly as fluid as a contemporary like Eddie Van Halen or even Ace Frehley. Let alone the masters of the British Invasion. You must be pretty lonely standing by that statement all by your lonesome self. Probably used to it by now I suppose. Must be where you get the time to think up all those wonderful phrases about dinosaurs and tigers and abominable snowmen. Cute.

I like Ghostface, MF DOOM, Beanie, Mos Def, Talib, J-Zone, J-Dilla and a few others. I haven't yet had much time or interest in researching the works of dudes who still live with their moms and spit about hard knock stuff they probably never experienced fisthand. HEY, maybe that's why you identify with them so well. I think we may have made a breakthrough here....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    douchebag

You are not worth debating me. You are severely outclassed.

hip hop originated in Jamaica in the form of "toasting" on the mic over a record. The tradition that was carried over into the South Bronx housing projects block parties and adapted by New Yorkers to create Rap.

Ghostface, MF DOOM, Beanie, Mos Def, Talib, J-Zone, J-Dilla and a few others.

probably never experienced fisthand.

• It's funny, I actually expected your comeback to come in the form of words, not the crossed out points that destroyed your weaksauce argument.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ...I hired him to do a track for me years ago and he handed in some unlistenable bullshit that I could not in good conscience, subject other people to...

Maybe he thought you were wack and handed you some throw away beat beat, in kind.

I don't know. I'm not a massive Madlib fan, but some of his stuff I really enjoy.

• ...I hired him to do a track for me years ago and he handed in some unlistenable bullshit that I could not in good conscience, subject other people to...

Maybe he thought you were wack and handed you some throw away beat beat, in kind.

I don't know. I'm not a massive Madlib fan, but some of his stuff I really enjoy.

I may be many things Jerk kwon but wack is certainly not one of them. Besides, I gave him the source material to work with. He just didn't deliver the goods.

I may be many things Jerk kwon but wack is certainly not one of them. Besides, I gave him the source material to work with. He just didn't deliver the goods.

Oh, wow, and with the ability to flip a screen name like Jectwon to "Jerk kwon", how could you be wack? I mean, that was so ill. Only someone who lived Hip-Hop to the fullest has ammo like that.....yup.

At any rate, just sayin'. A filler beat he sent you isn't enough evidence for me to write Madlib off as the hack artist that you claim him to be.

In an effort to not have my name flipped by the master, let me restate what I was suggesting:

Maybe he wasn't feeling your shit, so he broke you off with some filler shit.

At any rate, where can I hear your work?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Oh, wow, and with the ability to flip a screen name like Jectwon to "Jerk kwon", how could you be wack? I mean, that was so ill. Only someone who lived Hip-Hop to the fullest has ammo like that.....yup.

At any rate, just sayin'. A filler beat he sent you isn't enough evidence for me to write Madlib off as the hack artist that you claim him to be.

In an effort to not have my name flipped by the master, let me restate what I was suggesting:

... glad to see the controversial Monk back in the mix.

• I may be many things Jerk kwon but wack is certainly not one of them. Besides, I gave him the source material to work with. He just didn't deliver the goods.

Look, kid... you're 10 posts deep on here. Why don't you shut the fuck up & let the grown folks speak.

Steinski, Kid Koala & Mixmaster Mike had no problem flippin the same source material. Even IF madlib wasn't feeling it, how would you explain the inherent wackness in 80% of his own shit?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    What other projects have you been psyched about that let you down?

cabrini-green

St. Louis Pruitt-Igoe

Designed by the same architect who designed New York's World Trade Center towers--Minoru Yamasaki of Hellmuth, Yamasaki and Leinweber.[/b]

• Maybe he wasn't feeling your shit, so he broke you off with some filler shit.

He'd have to be a moron to do that. Why would someone sabotage their career like that? Sounds more like you rationalizing. God forgive someone doesn't like your bff. Did you sign up to defend his honor?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Look, kid... you're 10 posts deep on here. Why don't you shut the fuck up & let the grown folks speak.

Iron Monkey is an OG around here with NUFF credentials.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I dont care who Iron Monkey is. Anyone who takes the internet this seriously need to GTFO.

Nah, he's just tells it how he feels. Believe me that's the last dude to take this shit seriously.

He'd have to be a moron to do that. Why would someone sabotage their career like that? Sounds more like you rationalizing. God forgive someone doesn't like your bff. Did you sign up to defend his honor?

Sabotage his career by breaking someone off with an average beat because he (a) wasn't feeling the artist or (b) the artist wasn't offering enough cash for a good beat? That's not sabotage; that's responding in kind.

Nah, actually I'm not even a fan of MadLib. Some of it is okay. I think a lot of the stuff he does is kind of a bite off the people he's sampling...in that, he doesn't flip stuff sometimes, he just plays some dusty shit as if it is his own with an ocassional flip or random sound (at least a lot of Madvillan sounded like)....but that's not to say there isn't some shit that I really enjoy by Lib.

I was just stating that saying an artist isn't good because he didn't break YOU off with a decent beat is pretty weak.

For the record, I hear people give out sub-par filler shit to a lot of MC's who they don't feel or (normally) don't have the money to buy a banger....shit, it happens all the time.

Thanks for taking time out of collecting Barbies...I mean shoes to talk music though.

Look, kid... you're 10 posts deep on here.

Do you seriously look at post count as a point of pride? You are truly awesome...

So how often do you play Dungeons and Dragons?

Seriously though, where can I hear some of your work?

• Seriously though, where can I hear some of your work?

Shit, you need 500 posts to even ASK that question. Fall back or fall back

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Hey dude, did you introduce yourself to the boards?

• I may be many things Jerk kwon but wack is certainly not one of them. Besides, I gave him the source material to work with. He just didn't deliver the goods.

Steinski, Kid Koala & Mixmaster Mike had no problem flippin the same source material. Even IF madlib wasn't feeling it, how would you explain the inherent wackness in 80% of his own shit?

Dear Iron Monkey,

You are a CLOWN

go dipset yo'self the hell out of here.

OK, alright... I realize I blasted on you. It's cool. You prolly don't know your way around this forum that well yet. No worries dude, I know what you were trying to say. You prolly shouldn't have thrown the word "wack" into the mix though. That kinda sparked my reply.

Really, I'm the last person to take this shit seriously. not losing any sleep over madlib or who likes him or not. IMO, he is pretty overrated. Maybe he wouldn't be viewed as such if he exercised some quality control and just released his decent shit. Granted, that would only yield him one solid release per year. But I digress... I have a problem with people championing shitty music. PLus, me and Harvey have been at each other's throats for a minute now. He should really try and at least win one argument. It's getting a bit boring.

Welcome aboard. Consider my ripping you a new one, a hazing of sorts.

Wait a sec. This reply was supposed to be for Ject Won...

As for you, kid. Mind yer manners... Nah, just fuckin with you... it's all good. I accept your apology.

What the hell did you guys do around here when I wasn't here to stir shit up?

• ... glad to see the controversial Monk back in the mix.

I dont care who Iron Monkey is. Anyone who takes the internet this seriously need to GTFO.

Nah, he's just tells it how he feels. Believe me that's the last dude to take this shit seriously.

MY HERO! (swoon)....

Haha, thanks....good lookin out hommie...

Hey dude, did you introduce yourself to the boards?

I think so. It was a few months ago. Haven't been to the board in a while.

Welcome aboard. Consider my ripping you a new one, a hazing of sorts.

Ripping me a new one? When?

Hazing? Are you in a frat? I'd rather not join if that's cool.

Did you really do shit with MMM and Steinski and shit? Jesus Christ that's dope, where the fuck can I hear it??

• I was just stating that saying an artist isn't good because he didn't break YOU off with a decent beat is pretty weak.

First hand experience to make opinion. Seems about as legit as it gets.

Just sayin'.

Not that I care, it's just a funny conversation. I don't know Iron monkey and I like Madlib, for the record.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hey *dr**n,

You sound whiter.

Sadly, I've had to come to terms with being one of the "more-whites" but I've began mentioning the names of Rapid Ric and Ngafish around Beverly Hills in the hopes of getting some other cracker's attention and making him or her feel guilty for the oppression they've laid down upon others.

it's really helped me to feel better about myself

Ninja fish? Are we talking about ninjafish? Can we?