i don't think i like the Four Tops

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I think "I Can't Help Myself" could be the worst Motown song ever, and the rest of their shit is just like or worse. Am I missing something?

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I think "I Can't Help Myself" could be the worst Motown song ever, and the rest of their shit is just like or worse. Am I missing something?

what about some of the later shit though? "ain't no woman like the one i got" is undeniable.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Blasphemy, one of the best vocal groups of their time. But then if you don't like "I Can't Help Myself" you're probably not going to be swayed. You are definitely missing something, so many classic sides.

• i was just saying the exact same shit the other day and a homie played me some track that sounded like the groove to "beat me to the punch". i was actually quite nice. i think its called "couldn't cry if i wanted to". i wouldn't go out of the way, but if you see it, you might wanna check it.

• I think "I Can't Help Myself" could be the worst Motown song ever, and the rest of their shit is just like or worse. Am I missing something?

what about some of the later shit though? "ain't no woman like the one i got" is undeniable.

OK fair enough...but as far as "golden age" Motown goes, they are the weakest link.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

OK fair enough...but as far as "golden age" Motown goes, they are the weakest link.

i can see how "i can't help myself" might not appeal to someone after hearing it on the radio 1 gazillion times, but what about:
    Bernadette
    Standing in the Shadows of Love
    those are both heaters.

• don't bring back memories

is the shit

• I think "I Can't Help Myself" could be the worst Motown song ever, and the rest of their shit is just like or worse. Am I missing something?

But what's the later shit got that the earlier shit doesn't? If somebody doesn't like "I.C.H.M.," then "Ain't No Woman..." probably won't change their minds.

• i was just saying the exact same shit the other day and a homie played me some track that sounded like the groove to "beat me to the punch". i was actually quite nice. i think its called "couldn't cry if i wanted to". i wouldn't go out of the way, but if you see it, you might wanna check it.

Are you sure you don't mean the Temptations?

(Although Motown would always have their artists cover the same songs, so maybe you could be right...)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i don't think i like music

i can see how "i can't help myself" might not appeal to someone after hearing it on the radio 1 gazillion times, but what about:
    Bernadette
    Standing in the Shadows of Love
    those are both heaters.

i completely agree with "i can't help myself" and i cosign bernadette and standing in the shadows of motown, but i don't think i will ever get sick of reach out, baby i need your loving, and it's the same old song. i blame martin scorsese/deniro

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    sometimes i feel like levi stubbs is actually my favorite motown singer...

• i completely agree with "i can't help myself" and i cosign bernadette and standing in the shadows of motown, but i don't think i will ever get sick of reach out, baby i need your loving, and it's the same old song. i blame martin scorsese/deniro
    I was going to just mention "same old song" and "reaching out". I'm not mad at "I Can't Help Myself". I certainly don't think it's the "worst" song on motown. I can't recall but it's probably not the worst song on that album...ha. I'm down with "Ain't no woman" also... Plus, honestly being the "worst" group on Motown isn't all that bad really when you think about. They just had some amazing talent. I can't think it thru completley right now so I don't know if they are the weakest but it's certainly possible...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    B>The Big Chill Effect[/b].

http://www.sho.com/site/itv/itv-assets/629/629_01_272w.jpg>

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    That's okay, I can't really get down with The Supremes.

• Plus, honestly being the "worst" group on Motown isn't all that bad really when you think about. They just had some amazing talent.

So Diana Ross is better than Levi Stubbs?!?

I can't think it thru completley right now so I don't know if they are the weakest but it's certainly possible...

Well, think it through some more. Any group that had a singer who could beg and testify as good as Stubbs can hardly be considered a weak link. Matter of opinion and all that, but no one who can sing as good as the Tops should take a back seat to the thin-sounding Supremes (who I like, but when you imply that the Tops are weak links, I just wanna say...compared to whom?).

• sometimes i feel like levi stubbs is actually my favorite motown singer...

No shit. I think that if Stubbs had the opportunity for a solo career in his prime he would have torn it up (which h did anyway with the Tops).

I mean - come on....

Bernadette

Something About You

Seven Rooms of Gloom

Baby I Need Your Loving

Reach Out I'll Be There[/b]

• I can hang w/ any Motown EXCEPT the Supremes.

Been checking out the Hip-O complete singles boxes, lots of incredible stuff that got lost in the shuffle. Songs that are just as good as the "hits". Weird garage bands, blue-eyed soul, the Mynah Byrds (Neil Young and Rick James).

Liner notes are Still in the can, unreleased: material by Jack Soo, best known for his role on "Barney Miller".

• Been checking out the Hip-O complete singles boxes, lots of incredible stuff that got lost in the shuffle. Songs that are just as good as the "hits". Weird garage bands, blue-eyed soul, the Mynah Byrds (Neil Young and Rick James).

Heh, heh, I could describe the first Stax box the same way (only skip the Mynah Birds part).

Still in the can, unreleased: material by Jack Soo, best known for his role on "Barney Miller".

What kind of music was he doing?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Just picked up the "still waters run deep" LP.

• Although the majority of the Motown stuff I ride for is the early ('66 and earlier) stuff...I have to say the Four Tops tune from '69, "My Past Just Crossed My Future" is

• Although the majority of the Motown stuff I ride for is the early ('66 and earlier) stuff...I have to say the Four Tops tune from '69, "My Past Just Crossed My Future" is

Interesting. To me, after Holland-Dozier-Holland left Motown, everything the Tops did from '68 until '72 was mostly inferior, in my opinion. I feel the same way about Diana Ross & the Supremes...no HDH, no Flo Ballard, Diana gets top billing=they're starting to "jump the shark" and aren't as good as they once were. The Supremes' Greatest Hits, Vol. 3 (there was no Vol. 2) and the Four Tops' Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 kinda prove my point.

Interesting. To me, after Holland-Dozier-Holland left Motown, everything the Tops did from '68 until '72 was mostly inferior, in my opinion. I feel the same way about Diana Ross & the Supremes...no HDH, no Flo Ballard, Diana gets top billing=they're starting to "jump the shark" and aren't as good as they once were. The Supremes' Greatest Hits, Vol. 3 (there was no Vol. 2) and the Four Tops' Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 kinda prove my point.

oh yeah, the LP that that tune is on for the most part is a clunker...

instant 5 pager...I would rather listen to "Baby Dont You do It" instead of "Whats Goin On"

• w/o you by my side life is not worthwhile
    w/o your love my dear im like a motherless child
    so come on into my empty life and make my life worthwhile
    w/o the one you love life is not worthwhile

four tops

the four tops have some great songs and not just the usual burnt-toast that gets steady oldies radio play.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Bernadette is such a great song. i made of mix of oldies radio approved soul and "Bernadette" plus "I've been loving you too long" were killing me all day.

and some of you guys on here say some crazy shit, cause though this isn't on the same level i remeber some dude saying he hated otis redding

and thats not to say i don't agree that the four tops were at the bottom of the motown totem pole, but their competition was fuckin' marvin gaye, stevie wonder and the temptations! never mind label-mates, not many artists in general can fuck with that line-up.

peace,xavier

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Although the majority of the Motown stuff I ride for is the early ('66 and earlier) stuff...I have to say the Four Tops tune from '69, "My Past Just Crossed My Future" is

Agreed they didn't get the top songs and had a big fall off from their earlier Motown releases, still they could come up with some good music on their lesser known and later LPs

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Am I missing something?

ears

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sometimes i feel like levi stubbs is actually my favorite motown singer...

For the longest time I wasn't feeling the Tops either, it wasn't until I gave the MacArthur Park a listen through that I went back and revited their older tracks with appreciation.

honestly "I Can't Help Myself" is sacharine(sp?), and yes Stubbs had a hell of a voice.

But it wasn't the best

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Seven Rooms of Gloom