I Am Legend/Omega Man

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i feel like such an anti-intellectual for not reading the novels assocated with so many classic movies. I guess I should start.

reading is fundamental.

even my dog chops it up on occasion.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i feel like such an anti-intellectual for not reading the novels assocated with so many classic movies. I guess I should start.
    reading
    is fundamental.

The Book is the Book and The Movie is the Movie. Judge by different standards pleez.

Theres no "law" that says I HAVE to read the book after Ive enjoyed a two hour film.

Two separate animals.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    here at the sausage rally not one dude pointed out how strong/bold and sexy rosalind cash was with that machine gun
    rip

ps will smith-wins the stock step in fetch it uncle tom hollywood award everytime
    ever see bagger vance?nagl
    hate dude for sucking so badly

ps will smith-wins the stock step in fetch it uncle tom hollywood award everytime
    ever see bagger vance?nagl
    hate dude for sucking so badly

Id have to disagree. While Denzel gets a pass for doing American Gangster/Training Day continuing the tired criminal imagery, Will Smith at least embraces Sci-Fi Themes that go beyong the regular ass Ghetto Bullshit that the Local Black Exp eat up. Dude is ahead of the loop.IMO.

• As for special effects, isn't this basically the same shit as:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Agreed. Plus, dude is smarter that all of us.

Kala is just upset that The Fresh Prince never needed to use Kurse words in any of his lyrics.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    See it if you dig the Tom Hanks Castaway performance. Also, if you like good effects/eerie apocalyptic cityscapes...or something like Children of Men..well, Children of Men had more substance too it...I Am Legend is more of an existential meditation on loneliness...with zombies, of course.

Don't see it if you're a Matheson purist.

I predict they'll make another movie or sequel or something maybe closer to Matheson's vision. I would have loved to have seen that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Saw it last night. I thought it was ok/corny.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The fact that this movie out-earned "Return of the King" on opening weekend just goes to show that it's hard to trust box office numbers that aren't adjusted for inflation + rising ticket prices.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The fact that this movie out-earned "Return of the King" on opening weekend just goes to show that it's hard to trust box office numbers that aren't adjusted for inflation + rising ticket prices.

Or maybe just a testament to the power of hype and marketing , and an
    indication of how many casual moviegoers (like myself) weren't as interested
    in the final chapter of LOTR as you may want to believe.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I don't buy that at all.

"Return of the King" set the all-time December record (of course, if you adjusted that for inflation + ticket costs, I wonder if it'd still come out on top). It hardly got slept-on by "casual moviegoers" who didn't care for the LOTR franchise.

I do accept that "I Am Legend" has had a rigorous marketing campaign, Will Smith fills seats and it was a slow week in terms of blockbuster competition BUT even with that, I'm still quite surprised.

• I thought I Am Legend was dope!

I had very low expectations, but at the end of the day, I'm a sci-fi fan, and especially a fan of the post-apocalyptic niche. Think of some of the sci-fi you've liked/loved through the years, and chances are, you've liked some pretty crappy movies. That being said, it was hard not to like this movie.

Sure it wasn't perfect, but it was damn entertaining.

Peace...
    Mimizu

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I thought I Am Legend was dope!

I had very low expectations, but at the end of the day, I'm a sci-fi fan, and especially a fan of the post-apocalyptic niche. Think of some of the sci-fi you've liked/loved through the years, and chances are, you've liked some pretty crappy movies. That being said, it was hard not to like this movie.

Sure it wasn't perfect, but it was damn entertaining.

Peace...
    Mimizu

It was just a tired concept. Last man on earth, zombies...
    I didn't go in with any expectations other than a mindless Hollywood flick, but it was just
    Not to mention a shitload of questions were never answered or addressed.
    How does dude have gas, electricity, industrial strength defenses built in his house, etc.

• It was just a tired concept. Last man on earth, zombies...
    I didn't go in with any expectations other than a mindless Hollywood flick, but it was just
    How does dude have gas, electricity, industrial strength defenses built in his house, etc.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the premise is too played out. I've actually never seen the Omega Man, and there's actually not too many last man on earth movies out there... Not "too many". And I didn't think it was necessarily "mindless" either. There actually weren't too many zombie fights, and it wasn't even really "action-packed". It was mostly about loneliness and paranoia.

About the issues you brought up, he had a generator, they showed that. Now... If you're the last man alive, there's gotta be gas everywhere to be looted. Thats how he spent his days, going out looting and scavenging for shit. And with that much time on your hands, I'm sure you could figure out for to make heavy steel shutters for your home.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Peace...
    Mimizu

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It was just a tired concept. Last man on earth, zombies...

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the premise is too played out. I've actually never seen the Omega Man, and there's actually not too many last man on earth movies out there... Not "too many". And I didn't think it was necessarily "mindless" either. There actually weren't too many zombie fights, and it wasn't even really "action-packed". It was mostly about loneliness and paranoia.

About the issues you brought up, he had a generator, they showed that. Now... If you're the last man alive, there's gotta be gas everywhere to be looted. Thats how he spent his days, going out looting and scavenging for shit. And with that much time on your hands, I'm sure you could figure out for to make heavy steel shutters for your home.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Peace...
    Mimizu

Good points. Maybe I wasn't paying that close attention. I also don't think I was really in the mood to see it so that might have had something to do with it.

• If your going to shit on someone's movie, at least see it first, then shit on it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I don't buy that at all.

"Return of the King" set the all-time December record (of course, if you adjusted that for inflation + ticket costs, I wonder if it'd still come out on top). It hardly got slept-on by "casual moviegoers" who didn't care for the LOTR franchise.

I do accept that "I Am Legend" has had a rigorous marketing campaign, Will Smith fills seats and it was a slow week in terms of blockbuster competition BUT even with that, I'm still quite surprised.

big willy doesn't just fill seats
    he's the most bankable movie star in the world

also contributing to the success of the box office this weekend is, in my opinion, the drought in the numbers for the past few weeks. people finally had some films that motivated them to get their asses to the theaters

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Does the dog get hurt though? I'm not trying to watch a movie and get all teary-eyed about the dog!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    also...

jumper looks like garbage. just hayden's awful delivery of that one line in the trailer - "did i just... teleport??" - will guarantee me never seeing this flick.

and i wish that alvin and the chipmunks had bombed. the graphics and the hip hop style both look offensively idiotic to me

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

The Book is the Book and The Movie is the Movie. Judge by different standards pleez.

Theres no "law" that says I HAVE to read the book after Ive enjoyed a two hour film.

Two separate animals.

that's some level headed knowledgism with no biases attached.

Any NY heads remember when they had Wash. Square shut down during the nights for about 3 months filming this thing? That was definitely NAGL, but the movie looks interesting.

Any NY heads remember when they had Wash. Square shut down during the nights for about 3 months filming this thing? That was definitely NAGL, but the movie looks interesting.

I heard about that. They were filming a gang of it at the KingsBridge Amoury in The Bronx.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Saw it on the IMAX and it was a not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
    Better than most movies of the same ilk you are gonna see.

• Saw it last night. I thought it was ok/corny.

I don't buy that at all.

Return of the King was on cable last night and I caught the last half hour. Honestly I started laughing. The whole thing was ridiculous; the last battle scene, the hobbit wrestling with the alien dude for the ring; the molten lava; when his hobbit friends come in and jump on the bed, etc. Honestly I can't see how that movie was ever taken seriously.

• tired concept. Last man on earth, zombies...

cosine. I am not checking for this.

plus I have never, ever, no matter how hard I try (and I've tried) been able to take Will Smith seriously as a non-comedic actor (be it action, drama or otherwise).

plus I have never, ever, no matter how hard I try (and I've tried) been able to take Will Smith seriously as a non-comedic actor (be it action, drama or otherwise).

Will Smith > Denzel Washington

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    tired concept. Last man on earth, zombies...

cosine. I am not checking for this.

I dunno dude. One of his first films was a pretty decent performance which took a few people by surprise. And in Pursuit of Happyness he had a couple of great dramatic scenes.

And in Pursuit of Happyness,I Am Legend,The Pursuit of Happyness,I, Robot,Ali,Enemy Of The State Men In Black ,Independence Day,Six Degrees Of Separation,Made In America,Where The Day Takes You,he had a couple of great dramatic scenes.

• plus I have never, ever, no matter how hard I try (and I've tried) been able to take Will Smith seriously as a non-comedic actor (be it action, drama or otherwise).

Will Smith > Denzel Washington

Agreed. I've never liked Denzel's overacting.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I don't buy that at all.

Return of the King was on cable last night and I caught the last half hour. Honestly I started laughing. The whole thing was ridiculous; the last battle scene, the hobbit wrestling with the alien dude for the ring; the molten lava; when his hobbit friends come in and jump on the bed, etc. Honestly I can't see how that movie was ever taken seriously.

You are ignorant. Its a fantasy movie, not law and order. Im sorry you have no imagination.

IIIIMMMMMMAAAAGGGIIINNNNAAAAAATTTTIIIOONNN!!!!!