Miles: On The Corner Boxset

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    no. matter of fact, I didn't like it the first few times. my intro to miles was through KOB, Workin' and In a Silent Way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    no. matter of fact, I didn't like it the first few times. my intro to miles was through KOB, Workin' and In a Silent Way.

Exactly. Aquired taste.

I dont think Miles even plays his horn that much on this shit.

Irrelevant criticism of a Miles record unless you apply it to all of his electric stuff. His trumpet playing is not the reason I listen to his records. We've discussed this extensively. e.g. I'm riding for middle period stuff to hear Carter/Williams/Hancock rhythm against Shorter's compositions. The studio electric stuff is interesting for the studio innovations related to Macero's editing. The live electric stuff is cool for the coke soaked Rhodes fuzz wah-wah echoplex flip outs. Miles is a slightly above average soloist.

Irrelevant criticism of a Miles record unless you apply it to all of his electric stuff. His trumpet playing is not the reason I listen to his records. We've discussed this extensively. e.g. I'm riding for middle period stuff to hear Carter/Williams/Hancock rhythm against Shorter's compositions. The studio electric stuff is interesting for the studio innovations related to Macero's editing. The live electric stuff is cool for the coke soaked Rhodes fuzz wah-wah echoplex flip outs. Miles is a slightly above average soloist.

No doubt.

But for dudes here to say "How can u not like this album?" is crazy to me.

I listen to it, but for a regular joe schmo/becky to dig it is askin alot IMO.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Would anyone here start someone off w/ On the Corner as an introduction to Miles Davis?

depends on what your background is - for me OTC was exactly what I wanted out of 'jazz' when I first heard it - noise, weirdness, percussion etc.

'normal' hard bop can sound awfully starbuxy

---

hard bop can sound awfully starbuxy

BAN

hard bop can sound awfully starbuxy

BAN

can you seriously play 'kind of blue' or 'blues and the abstract truth' these days?

it's like rocking out to 'I'm Lovin It'

can you seriously play 'kind of blue' these days?

^^^^rocks this version

'blues and the abstract truth' these days?

it's like rocking out to 'I'm Lovin It'

DOUBLE BAN

On the Corner & that whole period of Miles is cool in it's abstraction - the little squiggles, bells, sitar, tabla - they're not just playing a straightforward funk groove or whatever - you aren't going to mistake Dark Magus for a CTI record.

• Miles is a slightly above average soloist.

dude, i was with you until this part. Miles is waaay above average, even in the 70s. Sure he's not Dizzy, but haven't we all been through that part? Regardless of any external comparisons, if you're only hearing Miles solos as 'slightly above average,' something might be awry. DUDE WAS A MASTER SOLOIST[/b] and yes i'm yelling and no i almost never yell

But for dudes here to say "How can u not like this album?" is crazy to me.

I listen to it, but for a regular joe schmo/becky to dig it is askin alot IMO.
    Soulstrut has long been proven not to consist of regular joes and beckys.

Miles is a slightly above average soloist.

dude, i was with you until this part. Miles is waaay above average, even in the 70s. Sure he's not Dizzy, but haven't we all been through that part? Regardless of any external comparisons, if you're only hearing Miles solos as 'slightly above average,' something might be awry. DUDE WAS A MASTER SOLOIST[/b] and yes i'm yelling and no i almost never yell

i always find myself more interested in his 'sidemen'--especially after 65. his phrasing is incredible. probably the best.

i don't need Dizzy type runs to impress me, i'm more of a Freddie Hubbard/Booker Little/Lee Morgan dude.

• Miles is a slightly above average soloist.

i always find myself more interested in his 'sidemen'--especially after 65. his phrasing is incredible. probably the best.

i don't need Dizzy type runs to impress me, i'm more of a Freddie Hubbard/Booker Little/Lee Morgan dude.

ok thanks, now i can relax yes about his phrasing. His solos also always have a remarkable structural integrity

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    who cares what miles was tryin to do with the cover art
    the cover art is the shit
    this record is the shit

• who cares what miles was tryin to do with the cover art
    the cover art is the shit
    this record is the shit

Wow, well that changed my mind.

• A small warning, the box set includes on its 6 discs all of Get Up With It and pretty much all of Big Fun. If you already have those it might be a little disappointing.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm curious to hear this, but honestly this is my least favorite period of Miles electric music, I dig it in parts but the whole goes nowhere IMO. The Pete Cosey era is my preferred 70's Miles Davis.

• Get Up With It

I love this album.

the cover art is shit

Seriously. It's very bad "Funky Black Art." Its overt, condescending, and its linear quality looks str8 doo-doo.

There better examples of this "style".

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Its overt, condescending, and its linear quality looks str8 doo-doo.

There better examples of this "style".

This would be the perfect caption of that photo of you at the art gallery gesturing toward the wall.

• Get Up With It

I love this album.

"He Loved Him Madly" is one of my all time favorite 30 minute songs.

• Get Up With It

I love this album.

I can't believe they got 30 minutes of music to fit on one side!

I wonder how much music you can fit on one side, btw?

• Aren't all, or just about most of the tracks on the boxset already released on Big Fun, Get Up With It, On the Corner, ect?

• Get Up With It

I love this album.

Co-sign all of the above.

For the sake of argument, I listened to "On The Corner" again after a long time of writing it off, and I still can't sit through an entire track on it.

• Aren't all, or just about most of the tracks on the boxset already released on Big Fun, Get Up With It, On the Corner, ect?

See my posts above...yes, a lot of Big Fun and all of Get Up With It are on it. But it's main historical interest is that it includes the unedited tracks that make up On the Corner. It doesn't feature any of the album tracks from On the Corner as they appear on the original record.

• Get Up With It

I love this album.

I can't believe they got 30 minutes of music to fit on one side!

I wonder how much music you can fit on one side, btw?

I always thought you couldn't fit much more than 22 min. on a side without losing sound quality. But now that I think about it, Music for 18 Musicians is about 30 mins. a side and it sounds great.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I was really looking forward to this disc as I'd heard that it was supposed to be funky. As I learn to play by ear, I was expecting something I could play over or jam along to... some nugget of inspiration; something to *learn*, musically. After being blown away by the musicians Miles had used previously, I didn't think this would be unrealistic.

But to me it just sounds like one dope-fuelled jam. IIRC they don't get a groove going at all. Or maybe it's one that only the smokers or tokers can hear. Shortly after I read the miles autobiography and he was so gone during this time, he was hearing voices from the sofa etc. Yet some have written that this album was "Miles' star at its brightest - when burning out."

I just found it a frustrating listen. I recall being stood up with my bass clattering against the stereo, skimming the f*ck out of the CD to find something worth playing.

Re: Miles' soloing - it's not about how much he plays, it's how he plays it. You know it's Miles after hearing one note. Most people would kill for that.

Ultimately, when an artist puts out such a diverse body of work, it's unlikely you'll like all of it. I am not coming from a "Bop-only" mindset - I also liked the work he did with Marcus Miller in the late 80s. After what he'd been through, physically and mentally, it's an achievement to be able to make music after his late-70's "Lock in".

IMHO the best Miles set is that 1964: The Complete Sessions with Hancock, Carter, Williams (aged 16?) and George Coleman on tenor. Everyone is on fire.

I was really looking forward to this disc as I'd heard that it was supposed to be funky.
    But to me it just sounds like one dope-fuelled jam. IIRC they don't get a groove going at all. Or maybe it's one that only the smokers or tokers can hear. I just found it a frustrating listen.

No doubt...

Id like to know if the folks "on the corner" at that time even cared that for this attempt?
    As far as I know its cult status only exists w/ music heads.
    Do local black exp grandmas say..."Oh yeah that that Miles shit, he was doin that funk shit?" - I doubt it.

I must say the open-endness of the tracks is "liberating" to a degree. Whether that was a choice or laziness,that in itself is cool IMO.

Do local black exp grandmas say..."Oh yeah that that Miles shit, he was doin that funk shit?" - I doubt it.

your doubt is well founded - speaking as someone who looks at alot 'local black exp grandma' type records - you never see OTC - unlike say, 'Sun Goddess' or Donald Byrd lps for example.

your doubt is well founded - speaking as someone who looks at alot 'local black exp grandma' type records - you never see OTC - unlike say, 'Sun Goddess' or Donald Byrd lps for example.

Haha.....

Ive never come across OTC ant any of my Elder Local Black Exp collectrons.