Good Eats in SF Mission area?

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be visiting a friend off of 24th st for a week. I need spots for food within walking, and biking distance. Anyone?

Comments

• farolito was great last time i checked. good burritos all over the place down ther

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    farolito was great last time i checked. good burritos all over the place down ther

Sounds good, and a place to see a good fight as well. awesome.

• HAHAHAHAHA..that restaurant stayed pretty calm during that rumble. that shit kept going....

• farolito was great last time i checked. good burritos all over the place down ther

Sounds good, and a place to see a good fight as well. awesome.

Man, Cas & Rootless swang their purses at each other every chance they get, don't they?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I think I found what I was looking for here: http://www.yelp.com/

• Can I say something ? Why is there an S.F. thread every 3-6 weeks. I'm not trying to be a dick but it's like "damn, since when does S.F. have the ability to lure Strutters??!??!!".

As far as food:

Puerto Alegre. The best mexican HANDS-DOWN for a variety of reasons:

Strong-ass margaritas
    Great Mexican Food (more of a sit-down plates spot)
    One of the few latino owned buisnesses in the mission that's been around since the "O.G." days of that area.

Also check Pak-wan for BOMB Indian food that would T.K.O. your anus when you're squatting a dump and Trully Mediteranan, flawless Falafell spot.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Can I say something ? Why is there an S.F. thread every 3-6 weeks. I'm not trying to be a dick but it's like "damn, since when does S.F. have the ability to lure Strutters??!??!!".

I realized that as well. I needed some honesty for once from folk who are "picky".

• Several blocks West on 24th, but Mi Lindo Yucatan (between Noe and Castro) is bomb, as can be attested to strutters Jinx, Young Phonics, Morse Code, Herm, Cas and DJ Anna (and of course me and wifey Neta, since it's our neighborhood go-to spot).

• Several blocks West on 24th, but Mi Lindo Yucatan (between Noe and Castro) is bomb, as can be attested to strutters Jinx, Young Phonics, Morse Code, Herm, Cas and DJ Anna (and of course me and wifey Neta, since it's our neighborhood go-to spot).

word.

Mi Lindu Peru is great as well

WHAT IT DO ROSSY, HOW WAS THE HUF HAT CONVENTION LAST NIGHT?????

• Can I say something ? Why is there an S.F. thread every 3-6 weeks. I'm not trying to be a dick but it's like "damn, since when does S.F. have the ability to lure Strutters??!??!!".

Paging Jinx

• budget spots

- taqueria cancun
    - el farolito
    - el zocalo (i've never been, but serg loves this place)
    - cha cha cha
    - arinell pizza
    - papalote
    - we be sushi
    - cha-ya

there's also always bacon dog carts out mostly by the bart stations and if you ever see the tamale lady, you should cop

breakfast wise, st francis fountain is my favorite by a mile. i used to go every sat. it's kinda more out there on 24th and bryant, but it's a quick bike ride

there's other places for breakfast in the heart of the mission like boogaloos, but their french toast is pretty whatever and there is always a crazy ass line and long wait. i think they are kind of overrated. the porkstore cafe has good breakfast though.

not so budget but pretty great

- maverick
    - tokyo go go
    - front porch
    - delfina
    - walzwerk ---i love this place
    - andale
    - blue plate

Also, Mitchell's Ice Cream is the best. They have the traditional favorites, but also some tropical ice cream like avocado, lychee, ube that is very very good. They stay open until 11PM.

also do not go to Herbivore. their food is either bland as hell or inedible-y over-salted. Worse seitan sandwich i've ever had. i honestly think that the only reason why it is packed all the time is because vegans don't have many options for eating out.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Tanks a million.

Mi Lindo Yucatan, Porkstore Cafe, Mitchell's Ice Cream , and many others will be hit hard.

• walzwerk ---i love this place

Ja wohl! I was just telling my brother that I'm taking him there on his upcoming visit. Killer East German restaurant with lots of RACKORDS on the wall. Reasonable prices and incredible food. Jagrschnitzel like what.

Also, Mitchell's Ice Cream is the best.

No arguments here.

also do not go to Herbivore. their food is either bland as hell or inedible-y over-salted. Worse seitan sandwich i've ever had. i honestly think that the only reason why it is packed all the time is because vegans don't have many options for eating out.

Also completely true.

• yo...boogaloo's is bangin'. i want to go there today but yeah not trying to wait there for forever and have to look at people in ironic American Apparell clothing.

I can do that tomorrow or some shit.

Ja wohl! I was just telling my brother that I'm taking him there on his upcoming visit. Killer East German restaurant with lots of RACKORDS on the wall. Reasonable prices and incredible food. Jagrschnitzel like what.

seriously, i think i need to eat there tonight. it's been a while.

also if you love beer mr burns, their beer menu is great. i always get their draft hefeweizan

i forgot to add Osha thai to my initial list.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    well I was gonna post more shit but lost it so here is a quick one

regalitos, 18th and mission, fried quesadillas and they don't bake their enchiladas
    El Cachanilla, window on 21st and treat, tacos are dope
    El Zocalos, get some cheap pupusas and some regia
    La Palma Mexicatessen, their tortillas are fucking good

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

also if you love beer mr burns, their beer menu is great. i always get their draft hefeweizan

Oh yes, I do. What about "Amnesia" on Valencia? Should I stay away? They say have wide array of belgian beer...

Damn, I love Latino/Mexican food. This gonna be fun, fun, fun. All these places everyone is mentioning.

• When I go to the Bay I hold court over at Puerto Vallarta on the sit down and grub tip, but if I'm on the go I will grab a burrito from elsewhere.

Let it also be said that Arinell's is the only slice of pizza in the greater Bay Area I will touch.

• i forgot to add Osha thai to my initial list.

oh fa sho.

Me and my girl tear it up there. They have this bomb crab fried rice and this great spicy thai spaghettic plate.

BEASTING THE FOOD GAME.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    i forgot to add Osha thai to my initial list.

oh fa sho.

Me and my girl tear it up there. They have this bomb crab fried rice and this great spicy thai spaghettic plate.

BEASTING THE FOOD GAME.

their deep fried lamb chops are really good

oh and Vallarta has a cart out front on the weekends, that shit is the truth

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    walzwerk ---i love this place

Is it better than Suppenkuche? Because I definitely dig the ol' Suppe.

• I used to live at 24th and shotwell. I went to a different place every day. Tacos and such. I remember the one where that fight broke out. I remember the Lighthouse ones being ok. I don't know what it's like today but some of those places were just fronts for drug dealers.

• I used to live at 24th and shotwell.

Ahhhh, the hoe stroll.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    mexican food in the mission is next level... the dirtier the better...

Is it better than Suppenkuche? Because I definitely dig the ol' Suppe.

i think they are both equally good foodwise, but beerwise suppenkuche wins with a bigger selection. and you can drink beer out of a glass boot. ha

RE: 24th and shotwell

the only place and time i got mugged when my sister lived on that corner 15 years ago. i live just a few blocks away now, but it's not as bad for obvious gentrification reasons. i took my sister to papalote once recently and she thought it was :soft: cuz they didn't have a lengua burrito on the menu

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Also check Pak-wan for BOMB Indian food that would T.K.O. your anus when you're squatting a dump and Trully Mediteranan, flawless Falafell spot.

Cosign on both. Truly Med is one of the few places that I'll purposefully go out of my way to go eat at when I go back to visit the Bay even though the parking is a pain in the ass. They have a really killer lamb schwarma (sp?) but the chicken is just "eh."

Did anyone mention Tartine? One of the best bakeries in the Bay Area though I'm also quite partial to Arizmendi (but that isn't in the Mission).

I'd also cosign on Mitchell's. Can't do that with Arinell's Pizza. I'm more partial to Maricello's in the Castro (across the street from the theater) if you're looking for a good slice.

I'd give Mi Lindo Yucatan a cautious thumbs up but I never found the food there to be really that amazing.

Definite cosigns on Mi Lindo Peru and Blue Plate but those are in a different part of the Mission from most of the previously mentioned spots.

• I'd also cosign on Mitchell's. Can't do that with Arinell's Pizza. I'm more partial to Maricello's in the Castro (across the street from the theater) if you're looking for a good slice

Definite cosigns on Mi Lindo Peru and Blue Plate but those are in a different part of the Mission from most of the previously mentioned spots.

oh i definitely like marcello's better than arinell's but that's not in the mission. i like arinell's much more than cable car pizza a few doors down. pauline's pizza is really good but that's way up on the 200 block of valencia which isn't really close to 24th per se, but it's a quick bike ride. when you ride your bike, valencia st is a breeze with a bike lane and has fewer bus lines than mission st. there's also this gourmet pizza place called Little Star up on 15th that i haven't tried. my friends say it's good but the staff is very unfriendly. blue plate and mi lindo peru aren't too far from 24th, it's like 6 blocks away which is a quick ass bike ride. emmy's spaghetti shack i will ride for, but the service is kinda bad sometimes too. they serve their 40s on ice.

What about "Amnesia" on Valencia? Should I stay away? They say have wide array of belgian beer...

barwise, it's been ages since i've stepped into amnesia so i don't really know. my favorite bars are the knockout and the latin american club. the LAC has a bunch of cool crap on their ceiling:

the knockout has the only color photobooth i know of in the city (real and old, not that digital polaroid crud). might be nice if you want to get wasted with your friends and capture that moment on film

i love the attic too but that place is a dive and it gets really hot in there. casanova bar used to be cool cuz they'd have girl group dj nights or nites where'd they play really good psych-rock but the past few years it started attracting kind of a fratty yuppie crowd now. i'll still check it out for happy hour once in a while. they got stuff like love and soft machine on their jukebox. mission bar is alright and is probably the least pretentious and hipster'd bars i mentioned.

• double dutch every wednesday son

kingmost
    bcause
    morsecode

free of charage

• Definite cosigns on Mi Lindo Peru and Blue Plate but those are in a different part of the Mission from most of the previously mentioned spots.

Just walked back in the door from dinner at Mi Lindo Peru! Fuuuuuuck...I had Bistec a la Pobre (with fried plantains and a fried egg on top) and it was so killer.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    double dutch every wednesday son

kingmost
    bcause
    morsecode

free of charage

Ahh yes, thank you, I was wondering when and if somebody was gonna...