FIREFOX VS SAFARI

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
... and NO, Spidey. I'm not going to check out Opera.ANYWAY, I'm pretty much a Safari dude, but every now and then I'll try Firefox and I'm now convinced that it runs so much better than Safari. It just doesn't look as cool I guess. What do YOU think? What is your preference, and why?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Didn't Apple moreorless give up on Safari?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Apples and oranges to me Cos. After using both for a couple of years, they seem the same. I keep both on the Mac though.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I use Firefox for everything but MySpace. For whatever reason MySpace runs much better on Safari.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    don't know if it matters - but from what I've seen you can't really fuck with blogger all that well via Safari. Haven't tried with Firefox yet...

• Didn't Apple moreorless give up on Safari?

Boycott Apple you yuppies.

• I use Safari for daily use, but every now and then I have to to use Firefox because safari won't work. These things include:

-paying my t-mobile bill. The button to submit the payment doesn't work in safari. It works fine in Firefox.
    -adding pictures to the title page on my blog. It wouldn't work at all in Safari. Firefox did it in a second.
    -various buttons or java related items. Maybe I'm not up to date on my Java, but shit cops out on safari. For instance, I can't preview things on z-share. I have to download it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Apples and oranges to me Cos. After using both for a couple of years, they seem the same.

Wouldn't that be apples and apples?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    You can save almost any mp3 or quicktime clip in firefox where in safari you have to have the deluxe version or something. I find I like firefox a lot better for that reason alone. Plus, when did safari get rid of tabs? Now you have to open a new window everytime? Im still having trouble trying to figure out how to organize my bookmarks in firefox though...its not as easy to move around in the tool bar and edit titles. I really need to figure this out before its too late.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I use Safari for better or worse. Its bookmark organization is stellar. I do notice that embedded Youtube videos sometimes causes it to hang when I have too many applications open. I haven't checked to see if Firefox can do better.

Didn't Apple moreorless give up on Safari?

Boycott Apple you yuppies.

Have fun with your spyware and browser hijacks.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I use Safari for daily use, but every now and then I have to to use Firefox because safari won't work.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Plus, when did safari get rid of tabs? Now you have to open a new window everytime?

Preferences->Tabs->Enable tabbed browsing

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    camino

its basically safari with the firefox rendering engine

i use firefox because i need all the developers tools like Tidy / Firebug and what have you for testing web work

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ANYWAY, I'm pretty much a Safari dude, but every now and then I'll try Firefox and I'm now convinced that it runs so much better than Safari. It just doesn't look as cool I guess.

I was a dedicated Safari user, but I strictly use Firefox now on Macs.

If you don't like the OG look of FF, check out the OS Integration Themes. There should be several that mimic Safari's brushed metal steez.

Or backtrack to the general themes for mad other styles.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Isn't firefox supposed to be better for security? Or are you talking about Macs in general, cause obviously macs dont really deal with that shit, so it seems like Firefox on the Mac would be the best combo. Or maybe not, what do i know...

I like the customizablity of Firefox, like I got a little app built in that controls whatever mp3 im listening to, and it can jump between itunes, pandora, WMP, real, etc. All that cool shit out there that someone created seems like a real benefit of open source, like if i want to add a feature to firefox , 90% of the time I can search and find it...

I like the fact that Firefox has close ties with Google. Apparently Firefox 3 is going to incorporate the Google Gears offline module. Not that you can't get the benefits of it simply by installing Google Gears.

Isn't firefox supposed to be better for security? Or are you talking about Macs in general, cause obviously macs dont really deal with that shit, so it seems like Firefox on the Mac would be the best combo. Or maybe not, what do i know...

I like the customizablity of Firefox, like I got a little app built in that controls whatever mp3 im listening to, and it can jump between itunes, pandora, WMP, real, etc. All that cool shit out there that someone created seems like a real benefit of open source, like if i want to add a feature to firefox , 90% of the time I can search and find it...

As you can see in the pie chart up above. 75% of people use Internet Explorer so its a huge target for viruses, spyware, browser hijacks etc. PC with Internet Explorer ='s ultimate venerability. My coworkers like Firefox because you can write apps for it, but I was also told it has huge security flaws. I rock Safari just because it looks nice and the bookmark organization is on point.. Plus its demographics are so low that its off the radar for anyone who wants to write a virus. I like to surf in peace.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The only thing I don't like about Firefox right now is the kind of MP3 that it downloads: ones that look like quicktime MP3 instead of iTunes MP3.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Safari 3 Beta with Debug Menu enabled (for the web inspector).

To enable, enter the following in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

restart Safari and Debug menu is enabled.

---

I use Firefox for some flash video viewing as well.

I hope the developers at Firefox take my suggestion to close the bookmarks window after a bookmark is clicked like Safari does.

As you can see in the pie chart up above. 75% of people use Internet Explorer so its a huge target for viruses, spyware, browser hijacks etc. PC with Internet Explorer ='s ultimate venerability. My coworkers like Firefox because you can write apps for it, but I was also told it has huge security flaws. I rock Safari just because it looks nice and the bookmark organization is on point.. Plus its demographics are so low that its off the radar for anyone who wants to write a virus. I like to surf in peace.

Grease Monkey is my shit! http://www.greasespot.net/
    Scripts can be found at http://userscripts.org/

The only script I really use is the one that puts your email signature at the top of your reply. Very helpful when dealing with as much email as I do. There's also a script that expands Google Maps into the whole window. Most other scripts for Grease Money are crap.

I hope the developers at Firefox take my suggestion to close the bookmarks window after a bookmark is clicked like Safari does.

Mine already does that.

Mine already does that.

Really? Huh. What version are you running?

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    I personally use both - at the same time.

As an IT professional though - Firefox is way more robust. If you type in "about:config" in your Firefox address bar you can configure and tweak a shitload of settings. Comes in handy in an enterprise environment.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    I can't really imagine why someone would choose Safari over Firefox. Adblock Plus alone seems like pretty compelling reason. Add to that all the about:config tweaks, Tab Mix Plus, greasemonkey, and the thousands of other extensions and skins, plus the high security make it pretty much a no-brainer. Plus I can even switch into the IE rendering engine for those pages that need IE.

That said, I took a look at Opera the other day for the first time since 3.0 (that's 10 years ago), and it really is impressive. Definitely worth downloading and playing around with.

Mine already does that.

Really? Huh. What version are you running?

Latest version. Mine updates automatically so I should be running the latest.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Cmon, yknow you want to get with it.

- spidey

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Strictly firefox right now but hopefully the new safari that's coming out with panther will catch up with all the new browser advancements.

HOPES:
    1. ability to use google browsers sync with safari (this I doubt cause they still want to sell .mac accounts)
    2. ability to add things such as firebug and the web developer toolbar
    3. ability for better CSS handling

*crosses fingers*