does Tabasco need refrigeration?

1235»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

and I've been wanting to make some hot sauce or a salsa. Got to find a way to make it, and time.

Diced chilis + a little oil and spices/flavorings (citrus maybe?) in a saucepan, cook a while, throw in blender, add some vinegar, blend, force through a siv, voila. you should have chili sauce, more or less. Shouldn't take much time or be too hard to do.

I got to do that. I don't have any peppers, so I'll have to head to the farmer's market and check and see what they have.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

and I've been wanting to make some hot sauce or a salsa. Got to find a way to make it, and time.

Diced chilis + a little oil and spices/flavorings (citrus maybe?) in a saucepan, cook a while, throw in blender, add some vinegar, blend, force through a siv, voila. you should have chili sauce, more or less. Shouldn't take much time or be too hard to do.

Any Citrus will do. Sour Orange/Lime/Lemon/Lemongrass/etc.

U can use fresh chilis too. Unless u get some smoked joints for that extra flav.

Fresh Garlic is a must.
    It all depends on your taste. Do u want it chunky or do u want flavored vinegar.

Cider vinegar vs Regular distilled vs Red wine vs White wine vinegars.

A little sugar - Brown or white or syrup. Experiment.

Soy sauce vs sea salt.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A refreshing hot sauce, which is basically a reworked chutney recipe, that is really good with heavier foods is this thrown into a blender. It would need to be kept in the fridge.

fresh cilantro or mint
    peppers ??? green chilis or scotchbonnets are my favourite for this
    ginger
    onion
    fresh lime juice
    ground mustard seed - black or yellow
    cumin
    salt

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    if you're in toronto, go to the spicy food festival at harborfront on august 11, and get the sadamn insane hot sauce...i've been waiting a year to get a new bottle. hot and sweet...but i've outgrown the hotness. after my mom's hot sauce i've never tasted anything that would kick your tongue's ass.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hottest dish I ever had was "Beef in Hell" at some Thai restaurant, shit was so intense, I got a nosebleed while eating it and felt like I was on drugs.

• If you guys want to play a prank, spike the tapatio with some of this and watch mouths explode!

careful though! the bottle says use one drop at a time and says keep away from pets and children. haha i got duped once and man that shit is rediculous, like a prank/novelty item. I dont see how anyone could like anything that scorching. INSANE.

but these are the illest:

and Tapatio and Crystal brands too.

EDIT: Any of yall tried chili paste mixed with mango sauce? Mango hot sauce is DOPE!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Anyone ride for this? Really good, all-purpose Jamaican hot pepper sauce. I threw some in my eggs this morning - it gives them a real bite.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this one:

I picked up a bottle of the standard flavor, and a couple of the samplers on my trip to Belize. On my flight back to the States, the guy next to me busts out a mini bottle when he got his in-flight meal... you better Belize it!

I'm all for adventuring into local hot sauce territories when I'm traveling... I picked up a bottle of this on on my last trip to Portland... Local headz recognize??

• I'm all for adventuring into local hot sauce territories when I'm traveling... I picked up a bottle of this on on my last trip to Portland... Local headz recognize??

I've had this at various breakfast spots around town, very good on scrambled eggs.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I can't let this thread die without a shot of the hot sauce section in my fridge:

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

This is my favorite, hard to find, has to be special ordered from the V.I.

This is the real. My St Croix ladyfriend brings this back for me.

Not too thick not too vinegary. So well balanced.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    My thoughts...

Sriracha is the only hot sauce mentioned in this thread I've tasted that has a unique flavor.

Green El Yucateco is the worst hot sauce ever. The red one sucks too.

"Chipotle"-flavor sucks.

And whoever referred to the servings at Chipotle (the restaurant) as "piddling" needs to step away from the buffet line.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    A ladybuddy of mine drove me out to Long Island last night.

After rollin thru a good five restaurants where the average wait was an hour and 45 mins. We ended up a Chipotle. Its was fine, but shortie was stuck on Mall Culture selections for dining options.

the Chipotle food wasnt terrible at all, but lacking in that Grandmama vibe.

terrible suburban exp.