recommend a late 60s rock album.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I'd print the cover - a shot of the six band members in a steambath almost nekkid except for towels - but none of the online images were big enough.

Hey, thanks, John!!

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Common People - of the People by the People, for the People 1968

Strings arranged by david axelrod... yes, unknown lp still for a lot of heads.. killer dreamy psych rock. This lp is fantastic and one of the better raer pieces in my psych rock section.

If you like this check out a few acts by the name of Gandalf & Food which are both in a smiliar sound.

Wow! Thanks for this. first post, exactly the type of thing i was looking for, doesnt seem to pop up much though... Ive heard gandalf and food, definitely good stuff too!

• Yeah took me a while to find a copy on wax and it's pretty beatup a low VG, so i bought the 2001 cd reissue and then was forced to buy the damn thing again in 2006 when they decided to issue bonus tracks.

That burns my ass when companies do things this way.... CD's getting reissued two or three times is ridiculous.

• Common People is great but pricey. There is a Scorpio reish.

For my recommendation, I'm gonna flip one that was recommended to me recently. Got it, love it.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I pulled this out to sell the other day and listened to it realizing I actually like it. It's not bad.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That burns my ass when companies do things this way.... CD's getting reissued two or three times is ridiculous.

Especially when one mastering job is different from the other, or worse, other reissues are just digital clones of the first CD pressing.

• Not to be a "hatter" but this is somewhat similar to asking "recommend a 70's soul album".

no, that thread would be called "recommend a 70's soul album". Though, I feel adding the "late/early" narrows the field of query without excluding the people who like to be discretionary with their subgenres.

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Blades of Grass - The Blades of Grass are not for Smoking 1967

This is another long time fav, but it's more pysch pop and not so much rock..

http://www.amazon.com/Blades-Grass-Are-N...84686343&sr=8-1

you can listen to a little bit on this amazon link

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    The Rationals - (self-titled)

great record

Also look out for their hit single, "Did You See Her Eyes"...the long version appeared on their self-titled album (not this one pictured here), but the edited version is far superior.

Another good album in that Long Island vein: the Good Rats' self-titled album on Kapp.[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• ^That Myrth album is pretty good!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not to be a "hatter" but this is somewhat similar to asking "recommend a 70's soul album".

no, that thread would be called "recommend a 70's soul album". Though, I feel adding the "late/early" narrows the field of query without excluding the people who like to be discretionary with their subgenres.

You could probably devote your entire collecting life to rock lp's from '67-'70. It's vast.

• Not to be a "hatter" but this is somewhat similar to asking "recommend a 70's soul album".

You could probably devote your entire collecting life to rock lp's from '67-'70. It's vast.

True. Im working with a about a crate of enjoyable sides just to have around.

Ive always been primarily into 45s but been enjoying some rock lately, being able to to just put a record on in the studio and let it play for a while without having to get up and change it is also nice.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I found this cover with no LP 3 times, which means its not that hard to find but the record gods don't want me to find it.

• Also look out for their hit single, "Did You See Her Eyes"...the long version appeared on their self-titled album (not this one pictured here), but the edited version is far superior.

Another good album in that Long Island vein: the Good Rats' self-titled album on Kapp.[/b]

Yeah this one is a good pickup that wont cost a lot.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I found this cover with no LP 3 times, which means its not that hard to find but the record gods don't want me to find it.

I think some songbirds carried the records away and left behind the sleeves...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Also look out for their hit single, "Did You See Her Eyes"...the long version appeared on their self-titled album (not this one pictured here), but the edited version is far superior.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Their first lp after Van Morrison left. A bit more on the psych tip
    than the earlier releases.

From Boston 1968...

• So, before some of you dudes start grippin over the buck-fifty that Them or Common People will set you back, you should probably just fuck w/ the first two Seeds records, cos that's some prime shit and better than most overpriced, overhpyed jammies (not saying CP and Them are that, cos I dig them too).

Just saying, you need these two lps if you're into this late 60s psych/rock shit.

That particular Them album is way less than spectacular.

• That particular Them album is way less than spectacular.

I think you and I have had this discussion before but that 9 minute track is what the kids might call "a psych burner". Confirmed.

The rest of the stuff is more standard garage fare.

It gets points for a cool cover as well.

I think you and I have had this discussion before but that 9 minute track is what the kids might call "ass burner". Confirmed.

• I think you and I have had this discussion before but that 9 minute track is what the kids might call "ass burner". Confirmed.

You don't dig on that track? Mix in some ganj w/ all that WC microbrew, holmes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ... and "Walking In the Queen's Garden" is freakbeat FIY-AH

It's by no means a bad album, and I'll agree that the "psych epic" is the hi-lite, but overall I think it's on the weak side. I have no regrets about selling the copy I found earlier this year. I prefer Them with Van.

That particular Them album is way less than spectacular.

Massive cosign, although I'll tell you what is surprisingly good:

The self-titled Them album on Happy Tiger, ca. 1970 or so.

It's not the R&B-ish garage rock of the Van Morrison years, and it's not the third-rate freakbeat of their Tower albums, but it's just plain ole trashy hard rock! Featuring a version of "Lonely Weekends" rearranged to sound like "Gloria!" Fuzz guitar for days! There was a second album on Happy Tiger as well that I have yet to hear, but this self-titled joint I'm talking about is recommended to those into post-garage stoner rock like Blue Cheer or somebody.

Matter of fact, I dig this LP so much that I don't even care that all of the original members were gone! By this time, the name "Them" had fallen into the hands of some shady musicians down in Texas...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    third-rate freakbeat

ummmm ... no.

third-rate freakbeat

ummmm ... no.

Ummm, yes. Bought the Now & Them reissue CD and it didn't rock my world, sorry.