Can I Just Ask You One Question?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    let me clarify and give you your nuance:

A white guy getting asshurt in[/b] a thread about race.

STOP THE PRESSES!

I didnt want to resort to this, but shut the fuck up dude...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Dude didnt want to be bothered with a flyer.

So why bother us with this stupid ass thread ?

Because some people need to pad their post counts. How else you gonna do that on a message board about records if you don't really know that much about music? You gotta start these kinds of threads. The worst thing about these kinds of BS threads is that they end up alienating people & schitt. Folks get sick of hearing foolishness all the time. And before you know it, all you got here are some no record having ass dorks posturing like they're clever.

GBH has records; some of mine, in fact. Or, my old ones from the swap.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Don't you think you've benefited from slavery?!

The Hook Up....what's your answer?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    oh dear...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I have to say yes because I had relatives that fought in the revolutionary war, so some of my family has been over here for a while, so more than likely, yes. Since my 18th century family probably benefitted from it, I have also . Like I said I was never arguing about racism, just semantics and arguing tactics.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

STOP THE PRESSES!

I didn't wanna say this either, but Young Phonics has been for the most part, class-less on this board.

I have to say yes because I had relatives that fought in the revolutionary war, so some of my family has been over here for a while, so more than likely, yes. Since my 18th century family probably benefitted from it, I have also . Like I said I was never arguing about racism, just semantics and arguing tactics.

But i didnt feel like i was "arguing" w/ GBH. I didnt mean to use Disconnected as an insult.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

STOP THE PRESSES!

I didn't wanna say this either, but Young Phonics has been for the most part, class-less on this board.

ha! You're kidding, right? Obviously.

• 1. GBH's ancestors did not actively participate in the slave trade.

2. Regardless, GBH benefits from slavery because he is white.

/thread

Huh?

1. GBH's ancestors did not actively participate in the slave trade.

/thread

Huh?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

/thread

Huh?

hahahaahahahaha.

full circle. that ws funny. PERFECt graemlin usage.

• 1. GBH's ancestors did not actively participate in the slave trade.

/thread

Huh?

Seriously I can't tell if alot of this is sarcasm or not.

indeed.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

/thread

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Because some people need to pad their post counts. How else you gonna do that on a message board about records if you don't really know that much about music? You gotta start these kinds of threads. The worst thing about these kinds of BS threads is that they end up alienating people & schitt. Folks get sick of hearing foolishness all the time. And before you know it, all you got here are some no record having ass dorks posturing like they're clever.

If "padding ones post count" were the point, there are easier ways to do it. And I know this will come as a shock to you, but I actually do enjoy finding, acquiring and listening to records. If you think it's impossible to discuss sensitive issues without alienating people, then that says more about your ability to conduct a civil, adult conversation than anything else.

/thread

Makes sense to me.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Guy on Street[/b]: (proffering a handbill) Got a minute?

Me[/b]: (continuing to walk toward subway entrance) No, I'm all set.

Guy on Street[/b]: Oh, you're all set? Can I just ask you one question?

Me[/b]: That was your one question.

Guy on Street[/b]: (following me toward subway entrance) Oh, a smartass huh? Don't you think you've benefited from slavery?!

Me[/b]: Don't you have better things to do than accost random people on the street?

Guy on Street[/b]: My ancestors were lynched!

Me[/b]: My ancestors didn't do it!

Guy on Street[/b]: YES THEY DID!!!

Then I disappeared into the subway. Just thought I'd share.

you sound.....like tucker carlson.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    4 pager

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I thought it a rather bizarre and occasionally funny little exchange that raises several interesting questions b/w try not to let yourself get bothered so easily--it's bad for your health.

When dudes make "The state of soulstrut" post i think the shit is corny... but there have been a lot of bad looks around here lately.

Some random dude starts a post with the title nigga musician and it doesn't bother enough people to be deleted.

Another dude titles a thread dis nigga sounds a little salty and its not a big deal either.

Then... the sarcastic I thought they buried the "N" word? post ...which seemed to me like nothing more than someone wanting to stir shit.

There are a few more threads that should have been deleted and were asked to be deleted but i won't bother searching......Not to mention several comments made in the past month that were ignored.

What bothers me more than these post is the arrogance of those who say shit like "don't let yourself get bothered so easily" .....You aren't and will never be in the position to tell me what should bother me when it comes to this issue.......If you feel like what happened to you "raised several interesting questions" then what are those questions ? because you didn't ask.

i'm not defending the dude who approached you on the subway....quite frankly, i think dude is a retard....but your thread offers nothing but more bullshit to the pile of bullshit around here lately....muthafuckas are quick to call for a ban when it comes to homosexual,female and jewish insults ...but a strutter can call another man a nigger (yes it happened) and all is forgiven.......

but its cool though....fuk it

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I thought it a rather bizarre and occasionally funny little exchange that raises several interesting questions b/w try not to let yourself get bothered so easily--it's bad for your health.

When dudes make "The state of soulstrut" post i think the shit is corny... but there have been a lot of bad looks around here lately.

Some random dude starts a post with the title nigga musician and it doesn't bother enough people to be deleted.

Another dude titles a thread dis nigga sounds a little salty and its not a big deal either.

Then... the sarcastic I thought they buried the "N" word? post ...which seemed to me like nothing more than someone wanting to stir shit.

There are a few more threads that should have been deleted and were asked to be deleted but i won't bother searching......Not to mention several comments made in the past month that were ignored.

What bothers me more than these post is the arrogance of those who say shit like "don't let yourself get bothered so easily" .....You aren't and will never be in the position to tell me what should bother me when it comes to this issue.......If you feel like what happened to you "raised several interesting questions" then what are those questions ? because you didn't ask.

i'm not defending the dude who approached you on the subway....quite frankly, i think dude is a retard....but your thread offers nothing but more bullshit to the pile of bullshit around here lately....muthafuckas are quick to call for a ban when it comes to homosexual,female and jewish insults ...but a strutter can call another man a nigger (yes it happened) and all is forgiven.......

• you sound white

you sound like you're overcompensating for being "a top five white-washed Latino"

snap....

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    you sound white

you sound like you're overcompensating for being "a top five white-washed Latino"

Well with the attitudes being shown around soulstrut lately there's no such thing as "overcompensating".

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    YES THEY DID!!!

when am i getting my reparations check so i can buy into sprint/kfc stock?

Fair enough, man. I'm in no position to tell you how to feel about things. I'm just saying that you're only hurting yourself if you let yourself get worked up over little things. I see a message board thread as a little thing. I imagine you're taking it as emblematic of something much larger, and that's understandable.

I didn't raise the questions myself, because I like to leave those open to interpretation. The question I found most interesting persoanlly, is how does responsibility transfer through multiple generations, and what sort of compensation, if any, is appropriate?

And also, does dude have the right to yell at random people on the street and assume that their family had a role in lynchings simply because they're white?

I also thought it funny that dude got so flustered that he lost the thread of the exchange and just yelled "YES THEY DID" when I told him my ancestors didn't lynch his ancestors.

Sorry to add to the pile of bullshit. Perhaps it's time for record day?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fair enough, man. I'm in no position to tell you how to feel about things. I'm just saying that you're only hurting yourself if you let yourself get worked up over little things.

Wow. So you're not in a position to tell someone how they should feel but you are in the position to tell them if they're hurting themselves? That's even more condescending, especially in light of what Ed was trying to raise.

It's even stranger that you would be so patronizing here given that you also acknowledge:

I imagine you're taking it as emblematic of something much larger, and that's understandable.

In any case, you then say:

I didn't raise the questions myself, because I like to leave those open to interpretation. The question I found most interesting persoanlly, is how does responsibility transfer through multiple generations, and what sort of compensation, if any, is appropriate?

Note: You didn't raise this question at all in your first post. Your first post came off like this:

"Look what this dumb ass tried to pull on me."

As with Ed - I'm not defending the guy who accosted you but the spirit of your original post, on face value, seemed to be, "what a ridiculous idea that I might be culpable in racism at all."

And also, does dude have the right to yell at random people on the street and assume that their family had a role in lynchings simply because they're white?

If this was the worst thing white people had to deal with when it comes to racism, consider yourself pretty fortunate. It beats what most people - not white - have to contend with.

I mean, sorry dude, but "poor you" that you got yelled at by a nutty, aggro dude on the street.

This whole thread was a bad look to start with and has only descended since then.

I'd also add one thing:

Soulstrut passed, a long time ago, out of the realm of "just a message board" and into a community. Call it virtual, call it imagined, but we have people who clearly have formed some semblance of relationships with one another through the site.

I mean, it's absolutely natural for someone like JP to post up that he got engaged or TT to post pictures from his wedding. We swap images of our kids, talk about our break-ups and jump-offs, make fun of one another, occasionally really piss one another off, occasionally try to help each other out.

There's basically an underlying - and very fragile - social contract that exists between us as a result. We hope - and don't always get - generous treatment from one another. When people step outside those lines - which happens often - and post things that are sexist or racist or offensive on whatever other lines, other people are going to feel like the sanctity of this community are being violated and thus, 5 pagers ensue.

This doesn't mean we all have to tread on egg shells just to not give offense to one another. But people shouldn't be so disingenuous (or clueless) to say that "hey, it's just a message board." Maybe for some newb trying to get sample czech. But shit, if anyone's been around here long enough to know what the fuck "Pap Day" refers to or why Leo Sayer is our inside joke: you're part of the family. Treat one another accordingly.

(And yes, most families are completely dysfunctional.)

So you're not in a position to tell someone how they should feel but you are in the position to tell them if they're hurting themselves?

Yes. A continually high level of stress leads to cardiovascular problems and decreased lifespan.

Note: You didn't raise this question at all in your first post. Your first post came off like this:

"Look what this dumb ass tried to pull on me."

As with Ed - I'm not defending the guy who accosted you but the spirit of your original post, on face value, seemed to be, "what a ridiculous idea that I might be culpable in racism at all."

I think you're inferring more from the exchange than is actually there. I wrote out, word for word, the actual exchange, with no additional commentary. As I've said in the past on this board, being white in America provides a distinct advantage. Rather than expound on that idea for half a page, I thought it better to let folks tease out the arguments themselves. It seems that was a bad idea.

If this was the worst thing white people had to deal with when it comes to racism, consider yourself pretty fortunate. It beats what most people - not white - have to contend with.

Of course it does, but nevertheless, that's a strawman argument. While I don't feel particularly aggrieved by the affair, I can understand why some would be. What you're saying is akin to a double-amputee hanging around a podiatrist's office telling everyone to quit their bitching because at least they have legs. Yes, we understand that you have no legs. That doesn't mean my bunions don't hurt.

This doesn't mean we all have to tread on egg shells just to not give offense to one another. But people shouldn't be so disingenuous (or clueless) to say that "hey, it's just a message board." Maybe for some newb trying to get sample czech. But shit, if anyone's been around here long enough to know what the fuck "Pap Day" refers to or why Leo Sayer is our inside joke: you're part of the family. Treat one another accordingly.

(And yes, most families are completely dysfunctional.)

I agree, and apologize to all that things got out of hand. I should have had the foresight to know that this would go down the way it did.

I think you're inferring more from the exchange than is actually there.

The problem, as noted several times before, was that your "exchange" came with no explanation whatsoever. Which naturally lead people to ask, "uh, so what's the point here?"

If you don't give your own comments some context, then it naturally leaves itself open to folks making assumptions, right or wrong.

And GBH, it's not a strawman argument to point out the severe difference in experiences of racism by whites vs. everyone else. What you encountered was practically nothing, unless this happens to you all the time. Getting yelled at by a possibly crazy person = daily operation in urban life. That your exchange happened, for a moment, to invert a relationship of racial profiling, is a hard one to feel much sympathy for in this case.

I hear you. I won't argue that, it was the way you framed it previously that i had a problem with. And edpowers, I just tried PMing you an apology, but you're not accepting PMs.

So, to Edpowers:

I'd like to apologize to you. I should know by now that Soulstrut, or any message board for that matter, is not the place to discuss such sensitive and complex issues as the role of racism historically and in modern America, and how it has reverberated throughout every corner of our society. I was wrong to bring it up, and wrong to tell you not to get so bothered by it. I'm sorry if I came off as condescending. I wasn't trying to be, but I know that I occasionally come off that way anyway.

Regards,

Justin aka Great_Blue_Hills