Are You Rooting For Barry Bonds

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Yes, but mostly because he's black and it'll piss off a lot of white folks.
    That's not why I root for Barry, although there is an element of the race issue in sports running through this story (yours is under a bit of strut sarcasm, i think). I think if anyone was going to get pissed over the dude for being black and beating a white person's record, they were pissed when he broke Ruth's, not the upcoming Aaron record, for obvious reasons.

I do think that Barry is the "black scapegoat" in the MLB. There's one in every sport who sportswriters (...those who cannot compete, write) treat like shit. Sure, it's somewhat of an obligation for atheletes to grant the post game interview or whatever, but when your entire life, professional and personal is under the microscope and you are berated and literally hated at every move you make, I doubt any of you would be keepin the smile on your face all the time for the reporters who instigate that shit. The worst part is that sportswriters act like they are owed something from Barry, and since he disregards them, they rip him apart even more. I don't think any of us can literally say that we know for a fact that the man is an "asshole", we simply don't know. I know he's made out to be an asshole by reporters who make it a point to express their own personal hatred of him constantly, but that's about it.

The race issue comes into it when you start noticing the pattern of this sort of "press' sense of entitlement" and the backlash against certain (black) players who don't play by the press' rules. The press ain't signin their checks though, so I can't blame the NFL T.O.'s or the NBA Melo's/AI's/Stephen Jackson's etc. out there. Screw the press, Barry jacks homers, T.O. is an amazing football player and Melo will drop 40ppg next season, that's what they are paid to do.

Barry: #1, no asterisk.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    stand up individual and played the game with class.

read: "articulate and clean-cut."

not really. barry, in fact, is "articulate and clean cut," but he is neither a stand up guy nor plays the game with class.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    HELL YES!!!!

fuck all you hatters! Money is the best we'll ever see. Never been found guilty of breaking a rule in baseball.

this whole witchhunt is like trying to prove I was speeding on Aug 18, 1998.

Fuck all you apologists!!!!

Well, where is the rule/testing for Human Growth Hormone? I MEAN WHAT SIZE CAP DOES HE WEAR NOW LIKE A '9'????

But yeah, it is a witchhunt and he very well could be the best of our generation.

But just cos he's a victim of a witchhunt doesn't mean he didn't cheat either.

I really do think A-Rod has a great shot to come up on Bonds' record if he stays in the game long enough.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Ha! "Fuck that cracker-ass cracker Hank Aaron."

• thropethrope 750 Posts

im a juan primo fan myself....

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Ha! "Fuck that cracker-ass cracker Hank Aaron."

HANK AARON=NOT BLACK ENOUGH!

Seriously, you know it's true. The white folks part I mean.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    stand up individual and played the game with class.

read: "articulate and clean-cut."

HE SPEAKS SO WELL

"That's something you say about a retarded person who can talk!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    this whole witchhunt is like trying to prove I was speeding on Aug 18, 1998.

I got you on radar, son!

• And Pete Rose should also be in the Hall.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Why I'm Not Rooting For Barry Bonds:

Class and dignity over cheating? Always that, son.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Fuck Barry Bonds and his apologists.

Oh, and to anyone who says it: THIS IS NOT A WITCH HUNT! THERE IS ENOUGH FEDERAL EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM TO FILL VOLUMES! IF THERE IS THAT MUCH EVIDENCE, IT CEASES TO BE A WITCH HUNT!

See, I know it's a nice buzzword to throw around, and show persecution and the like, but when there are reams of evidence and whole fucking redwoods forests worth of paper documenting your continued drug use and cheating, that is NOT a witch hunt.

A witch hunt, in case you don't know, involves wild, baseless accusations. Which, based on the growth of his feet, head, and body, indicate that these accusations are NOT baseless, and that there is a lot of evidence to back up his drug use.

Fuck Barry Bonds, and fuck his apologists.

• I do think that Barry is the "black scapegoat" in the MLB. There's one in every sport who sportswriters (...those who cannot compete, write) treat like shit. Sure, it's somewhat of an obligation for atheletes to grant the post game interview or whatever, but when your entire life, professional and personal is under the microscope and you are berated and literally hated at every move you make, I doubt any of you would be keepin the smile on your face all the time for the reporters who instigate that shit. The worst part is that sportswriters act like they are owed something from Barry, and since he disregards them, they rip him apart even more. I don't think any of us can literally say that we know for a fact that the man is an "asshole", we simply don't know. I know he's made out to be an asshole by reporters who make it a point to express their own personal hatred of him constantly, but that's about it.

You are nothing but an ignorant fanboy. The best part is your apology for Bonds's asshole behavior, suggesting that we don't know that he actually is one, never mind the countless testimonies from teammates, executives, writers, and fans that prove that he is. Hilarious!

Barry Bonds is not a racial scapegoat, at all. He has, in fact, been a giant dick to sports writers from the very beginning of his career. He has earned every hostile word.

You don't know what you're talking about. I will not bother to read your response, so don't post one.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

And Fuck MLB for having rules and not enforcing them.

They are about to get an unpopular and polarizing black eye on their sport and they deserve it.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

And Fuck MLB for having rules and not enforcing them.

They are about to get an unpopular and polarizing black eye on their sport and they deserve it.

agreed 100%. They deserve everything that is coming to them.

See, this is also what bugs me about this. People keep saying, 'This is America; what happened to innocent until proven guilty?'

Frankly, on the micro-level, MLB is NOT America. They are a business, and the man who is in charge, Bud Selig, as elected by the owners, decided it was best not to enforce the rules of the game, and the nation. He has the ability to act unilaterally, as shown by most every other commisioner in the game's history, or Roger Goddell in the NFL right now. But, he chose not to act, and now he and the game must suffer the consequences.

The players, though, are also not without a hearty share of blame, as they used their strong union to campaign to keep testing out of the game. I refuse to listen to them blame Bud at this point...

All are at fault, and they have no one to blame but themselves for their lost credibility.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I do think that Barry is the "black scapegoat" in the MLB. There's one in every sport who sportswriters (...those who cannot compete, write) treat like shit. Sure, it's somewhat of an obligation for atheletes to grant the post game interview or whatever, but when your entire life, professional and personal is under the microscope and you are berated and literally hated at every move you make, I doubt any of you would be keepin the smile on your face all the time for the reporters who instigate that shit. The worst part is that sportswriters act like they are owed something from Barry, and since he disregards them, they rip him apart even more. I don't think any of us can literally say that we know for a fact that the man is an "asshole", we simply don't know. I know he's made out to be an asshole by reporters who make it a point to express their own personal hatred of him constantly, but that's about it.

You are nothing but an ignorant fanboy. The best part is your apology for Bonds's asshole behavior, suggesting that we don't know that he actually is one, never mind the countless testimonies from teammates, executives, writers, and fans that prove that he is. Hilarious!

Barry Bonds is not a racial scapegoat, at all. He has, in fact, been a giant dick to sports writers from the very beginning of his career. He has earned every hostile word.

You don't know what you're talking about. I will not bother to read your response, so don't post one.

LOL--disgustingly predictable.

I particularly like how you come at dude out of the blue and then conclude with "I will not bother to read your response, so don't post one"--you do realize that that phrase is generally reserved for situations where there has been an actual exchange, don't you?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't really care if Bonds is an asshole or not. That has nothing to do with the way the game is played. Hell, Bob Gibson would scowl at you and then literally hit you with high heat - and I love that attitude. I don't mind if Bonds sticks it to equally assholish sportswriters (I should know: I was one, minus the demeanor).

What I care about is that the Mark McGwires and Rafael Palmieros and Sammy Sosas and jason Giambis and Brady Andersons of baseball got shine for being cheats. You can call me na??ve, but I appreciate an unsullied sport. If Shoeless Joe gets a lifetime Hall ban, then so should all dopers; they are all brothers in dirt.

Mark my words - Mark McGwire will never be a Hall inductee due to the cumulonimbus poised over his head. He, like Pete Rose, will garner a few statement votes early on but will ultimately be forgotten. This is one instance in which I'm actually proud of the Old Boys' Club that figuratively sits up in their smoke-filled room in Springfield.

Either way, the record gets an asterisk. No question about it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Either way, the record gets an asterisk. No question about it.

Hey, at least their names are still in the record books. In the Olympics, yo medals get taken away playa!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    if everybody is taking steroids then no one has an advantage.

i could give a fuck if they are clean or not.

i may watch baseball, that doesn't mean i want to be them.

you shouldn't take steroids but neither should you get drunk and coked up the night of a big game. these guys aren't saints, they are atheletes who entertain us.

i say.

yes. i am rooting for him.

he is a scapegoat. i'm not sure if it is because he is black though. i think it is just because he is a aloof and arrogant. an easy target.

and look at a rod. didn't that dude used to be skinny too, early in his career ?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

you shouldn't take steroids but neither should you get drunk and coked up the night of a big game. these guys aren't saints, they are atheletes who entertain us.

i say.

he is a scapegoat. i'm not sure if it is because he is black though. i think it is just because he is a aloof and arrogant. an easy target.

and look at a rod. didn't that dude used to be skinny too, early in his career ?

There is a certain amount of leniency in any sport, but steroids shouldn't be one of them. Especially when there are historical records at stake. This is after all "America's Pasttime" right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i say.

There is a certain amount of leniency in any sport, but steroids shouldn't be one of them. Especially when there are historical records at stake. This is after all "America's Pasttime" right?

Eh... everybody in baseball juices; managing your intake is just another element of mastering the sport.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

What are you talking about? Is this like the "let's legitimize all illegal drugs so that we won't have any more drug imprisonment" argument? Rubbish.
    Why can't a batter run to second base instead of first? Because there are rules to the game. Not using illegal substances is one of those rules - simple as that.
    MLB certainly turned a blind eye to the steroid-fueled McGwire/Sosa race in order to hype their strike-slumped PR situation, and as a result, they share the blame and ignominy of their fans. But this does not exculpate a cheater from initiating the process of cheating. Not everybody is cheating in MLB.

Incidentally, you are the first fan that I've ever heard stand up for the use of illegal substances in sports. This is not an issue of role models or emulation. This is about rules in sports. The MLB is not Calvinball.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

i say.

Eh... everybody in baseball juices; managing your intake is just another element of mastering the sport.

If by juicing, you mean weight training and specialized diets, then your definition is simply too broad. It's akin to the definitional expansion of "WMDs" to include chemical weapons.

(Argument of the beard)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I agree that Barry probably cheated. I also agree that he is a total dickhead. I also agree, with myself, that he has been scapegoated by the press and that league is complicit in this sordid affair. Therefore I will root for him to put the league and press in a terribly uncomfortable position of having to celebrate his tainted achievement. McGuire and Rose will eventually get into the hall of fame.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Rose will eventually get into the hall of fame.

I don't think so.
    The League officially sanctions gambling the moment he does.
    The whole Chicago Black Sox affair STILL stings nearly one hundred years later!

Re: Bonds, I think it's interesting how NO one is even pitching to him right now.
    It's almost like a concerted effort among league pitchers to make it as hard as possible for this mother fucker to do it.
    And he's batting what? Something like .190 for the month as a result!

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Also, let's get one thing straight.
    Bonds is NOT a scapegoat.
    Convenient yes. Scapegoat please.
    If Bonds wasn't chasing the HR record, would this even be a big deal?
    Would he be under the microscope moreso than someone like say, Giambi?
    Not unless he was playing in pinstripes.
    Just about everytime I pick up a paper or listen to a simulcast, I hear the "press" refer to steroids as a league-wide problem.
    Yup, even to the evil "media", Bonds aint alone in his culpability.
    The question remains, does Bonds deserve the extra added scrutiny?
    Yes.
    He's chasing the fucking HR record.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Why can't a batter run to second base instead of first? Because there are rules to the game.

Holler at Jimmy Piersall, Son!

Rollie Fingers has not aged well.

• I'm rooting for Bonds's knees to break before the record..

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

*sigh*
    Sounds like a personal issue...
    I remember when I realized I was probably destined for mediocrity too. It's like the world keeps spinnin' no matter what you do, y'know? Like you can't make an impact. Rough. It is a hard time to go through and I understand your pain. But, attempting to form negative view points of atheletes and people who do well doesn't help in the long run. Just be the best person you can be. Be that mighty collectro that you set out to be in the first place- that's enough for one lifetime.

• Since when does rooting for or against a sports figure require a rationale?

• Re: Bonds, I think it's interesting how NO one is even pitching to him right now.
    It's almost like a concerted effort among league pitchers to make it as hard as possible for this mother fucker to do it.

I was hoping this would happen.